Some Bending Videos From Today. Red Attempt And Others.

king crusher

Hey guys. The red humbled me. It's a beast. But good news is the IM pads are a lot better then the towel pieces I was using lol. Made very quick work of the easy stuff which was harder in towels haha.

Please give me advice as I'm sure my technique could use work.

The first 6 vids are from today's bending.

Please also give advice on which way I should fold the pads to put under weight for a few days. And do you fold so the top or bottom of the pads are on your palms?

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1xoZZ4HiIBmMkWL1d2IJ9A/playlists

well, first I would start with some easier stock. difficult to work on technique when you are past your max.

I video taped two 60d and a bolt. It's on my YouTube. Those were way to easy though so I need some in between stuff. What can I get from Home Depot that would be in the middle?

Ah. I gotta look through the channel, it didn't link to the video directly. You might find some square 1/4" stock. That's pretty decent stock.

Ok, first of all, bring your elbows down and try to keep them in front of your body. You're chicken winging. Rindo always said try to think about touching your elbows together in front of your body. Obviously this won't happen, but that's the kind of motion you want.

Keep the bar up high as long as you can, that's the most powerful position you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Q8U6u8Tr8

Yeah I am assuming chicken winging just puts too much stress on the wrists and doesn't allow the chest to assist in the bend right? So can I find the squar 1/4" stock at Home Depot type places? Do they come in long lengths that I just cut to 7in?

Thanks

Also you should be able to see the six most recent vids are the bending ones.

I put the pads under about 250lbs in plates. Wrapped over in threes.

Yes, you want to use the big muscles as much as possible. Think of the kink as kinda an isometric fly.

I got very little stock from Home Depot. the link I sent you for drill rod is the best place to start. They will ship you three pieces or whatever, so you don't have to place a huge order. Get some J,K and L bars to start. That will give you a good idea of where you are poundage wise. I checked out your videos, so obviously once you figure out how to apply force to the bar, you are plenty strong enough to bend a Red. The other aspect will be hand conditioning. That just comes from repetition.

I will order from that site. The items you recommended. Thanks for the tips. I will eventually, like you said, get my power to the bar!

I will order from that site. The items you recommended. Thanks for the tips. I will eventually, like you said, get my power to the bar!

Go slower. You want hits that last a long time. Count to 5. Then keep counting. Spend some time and watch videos. Wigren & Tommy are a good start to pick up technique. I haven't bent in a while, so my eye isn't so sharp :blush

You have to tweak the technique to fit you and your strength level. I have always chicken winged my bending. For me the strongest part of my body was my neck, shoulders and chest. So I would use it to my advantage, by posting my wrists as straight as possible, using my pointer fingers as a fulcrum and pulling down. Essentially chicken winging. You can see it In all my videos on the kink.

Sharkey is giving you great advice listen to him. But remember there is no "right" or "wrong" technique. You have to find your sweet spot and utilize it through trial and error. The only real way to do that is know the rules for bending, bend consistently, bend light stock in volume, watch and critique your own videos. Then take all the information you know and what people tell you, and find what works.

Ninja edit: to stop chicken winging put the bar on the Adam's apple or a tiny bit higher. It sets the elbows up in the correct spot. I always put the bar high up like touching my jaw bone then pin my chin in my chest and kink toward the bone, pulling down- chicken winging.

Edited by EJ Livesey

Thanks for the help guys. I will leave the pads under the weight for a couple days and chalk them up some and try to at least get the red kinked.

I'd like to re-iterate the hand conditioning comment. I'm chasing the Red right now in Ironmind pads and as I type, I've got more than one spot on my hands and fingers super glued.

I was never the best unbraced bender but I did cert on the huge bastard and I can say my current batch of Reds are not overly easy.

The drill rod is a great place to start although it does have a different "feel" to it than the regular cold rolled steel.

I realized after watching that DO vid mike posted in the other thread that I am not doing what's in that vid by folding the pads over then ends and jamming them into the x spot on my palms. Should I be bending like that?

Gonna order up some drill rod from that site. Would an I j k l m be good?

I realized after watching that DO vid mike posted in the other thread that I am not doing what's in that vid by folding the pads over then ends and jamming them into the x spot on my palms. Should I be bending like that?

Gonna order up some drill rod from that site. Would an I j k l m be good?

not sure what you mean exactly. figuring out where the IMP's feel comfortable is a bit of a matter of preference.

that spread of drill rod is good. you probably don't need more than 1 of the I and J. L's & M's will really allow you to get your volume in and technique dialed in.

I should get 5 pcs out of each rod. So should I get a couple or L and couple of M or so? So the M will be as hard or close to reds?

definitely get a few L's & M's. M's are generally around 380-400# which is a decently stout bend. Once M's are falling to you in under a minute, pick up some 19/64" bars. Those will have just an easier kink than Reds and a similar crush.

I'll give you one other tip I picked up from EJ. Separate your kink and crush sessions for maximum training potential. I stopped thinking of bending as a full event and broke it down into the three movements - my thinking was this is how you would train a clean and jerk or something like that. break it down into its elements and muscle groups. work the technique until its muscle memory.

I would kink 3 -5 bar to around 4.25-4.5" (between the ends). this is the point I would have to switch to the open hand sweep. I'd let the bars sit overnight, then sweep them to between 2.25-2.5", let them sit another day, and then use my gripper crush to take them down. each of these movements requires different muscles, and further puts pressure on and damages the hands in different ways. if my hands were ripped up from kinking, I could still crush. further, by allowing the steel to cool in between you are making it harder and not relying on the steel heating up. then when you go to do a full bend, its easy peazy.

That's some good advice. I will say bending the three spiral 60d the bolt and doing those two attempts on the reds was not enough to make anything sore. So I guess I could do more per session then that?

I would start with 3 bars per session. Its not much different than developing a max Squat or DL or whatnot. 3 reps at around 80%

As far as your current ability, I can tell absolutely nothing from the current data set. Sprial 60D's are very easy. I've bent them barehanded. Reds are hard no matter how strong you are until you develop the technique. One way or the other you are going to have to develop hand toughness and some leathery skin. DO kink is incredibly technical, going slow and figuring it out is to your advantage.

How about double under hand? I've never tried that. How does that usually compare to overhand?

How about double under hand? I've never tried that. How does that usually compare to overhand?

really they're totally different. DU is heavily reliant on wrist strength. on 6" stock you can involve your chest more, but on 7" its very wrist dependent. Carl Donati is a pretty badass DU bender.

• Like 1

Well I just need to get some in between steel. See what happens then. The kink is obviously the hardest part of the red I'm guessing. If I can kink it some one attempt then go at it the next workout? Time will tell.

Edited by king crusher

Kingcrusher I was practicing on 5/16" x 7" HRS consistently, I have never had them rated but I would put them in the 380-400 range...if you need some I would be willing to send you 10 bars! PM me your address.

• Like 1