From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Richard,

Sorry about your falls.

Best wishes on your rehab.

With your drive I am betting on you,

Dave

Wow, thanks for the supportive wishes! Having people like you makes the trip all worthwhile. I was asked about the injuries. The falls were both on a newly replaced hardwood floor with in error an oil soap cleaning. The first fall knocked me out for a long period of time ,the second on the same floor as a result of literally collapsing due to dehydration from the flu. My arm and shoulder nerves were totally stunned and non working for 6 weeks now, tast and smell lost with severe vertigo for two weeks. In an effort to clear my ringing ears forced air past my broken eye orbit and my eye and face instantly inflated. The pressure popped mt left eye out. Blinded, I just reached up when the eyeball hit my glasses. With nothing else to do I shoved the eyeball back in with a soft "plunk "sound. It was really an ugly thing. Many ongoing visits to doctors are at least doing the homework on getting better. No matter what ,I tried each morning to stagger a path around a nearby lake grasping from tree to tree in an effort to keep circulation and movement patterns. Getting about was insane and my right hand rested limp in my pocket. Trying to stay as long as I could stand each day at work was a non stop war of not falling into an oven, machine, or forklift. It was not a good time, but a time to reflect.

With that being said and right from the horses mouth is a better, clear way to explain and learn to accept personally the road ahead of me. Each day I strive to get better, I can tase a bit, smell an orange and one again appreciate little increases in the gym. I have completed my third workout and just the doing reinforces those motor pathways. I will really see what works or doesn't work now. Stretching, rehab and flexibility are really key for all of us, often sadly neglected when we feel good. The devices like the rotational Forearm Factory , Armaid and a foam roller have helped lot. Full range work and pinching will be my first order of grip business. The Pops gripper has served as a guiding rock to me to get that thumb and finger dynamic pinch balance to hopefully return.

It is not about being sorry or down and out. It is what it is ,and through strife and resulting action we will get better. I am determined to reverse this bump in the road. Thank you to all of you! R. Sorin

Wow, thanks for the supportive wishes! Having people like you makes the trip all worthwhile. I was asked about the injuries. The falls were both on a newly replaced hardwood floor with in error an oil soap cleaning. The first fall knocked me out for a long period of time ,the second on the same floor as a result of literally collapsing due to dehydration from the flu. My arm and shoulder nerves were totally stunned and non working for 6 weeks now, tast and smell lost with severe vertigo for two weeks. In an effort to clear my ringing ears forced air past my broken eye orbit and my eye and face instantly inflated. The pressure popped mt left eye out. Blinded, I just reached up when the eyeball hit my glasses. With nothing else to do I shoved the eyeball back in with a soft "plunk "sound. It was really an ugly thing. Many ongoing visits to doctors are at least doing the homework on getting better. No matter what ,I tried each morning to stagger a path around a nearby lake grasping from tree to tree in an effort to keep circulation and movement patterns. Getting about was insane and my right hand rested limp in my pocket. Trying to stay as long as I could stand each day at work was a non stop war of not falling into an oven, machine, or forklift. It was not a good time, but a time to reflect.

With that being said and right from the horses mouth is a better, clear way to explain and learn to accept personally the road ahead of me. Each day I strive to get better, I can tase a bit, smell an orange and one again appreciate little increases in the gym. I have completed my third workout and just the doing reinforces those motor pathways. I will really see what works or doesn't work now. Stretching, rehab and flexibility are really key for all of us, often sadly neglected when we feel good. The devices like the rotational Forearm Factory , Armaid and a foam roller have helped lot. Full range work and pinching will be my first order of grip business. The Pops gripper has served as a guiding rock to me to get that thumb and finger dynamic pinch balance to hopefully return.

It is not about being sorry or down and out. It is what it is ,and through strife and resulting action we will get better. I am determined to reverse this bump in the road. Thank you to all of you! R. Sorin

Richard,you will be in my prayers ! God bless you.

If I can help in any way just call,I can be there in 90 minutes.

Jonathan

Wow,Thank you to all of you! R. Sorin

Richard, very sorry to hear of your falls. If anyone can bounce back, you can!

Get better buddy!

~Dave

Richard, very sorry to hear of your falls. I wish you a speedy recovery, and I am sure that your indomitable willpower will help you with it!

Wow...I am truly sorry to hear this Richard but I just know you are going to recover stronger than before!

Thanks for the inspiration as well for myself and I am sure other members here as you recover full and beyond! :rock

Walking faster each morning followed by freehand squats and MORE stretching. Amazing to make the same route without blind stumbling I i plan on using grippers in a very direct full sweep table no set mode to regain motor sequence timing and muscle balance in a close. Left hand has responded to become more versatile which is a good thing. I take daily Collins hand Dyno measurements as I have used since the late 60s to test my grip level. The right is very slow and steady a few scant pounds each day. Without nerve stimulus the muscles try to fire and contract but just do not. It is very odd but whatever damage to my right arm seem directly linked to my level of taste and smell. At least a broken neck or dislodged disk was ruled out in favor of nerve damage. I will direct any research I can find and every bit of what I have learned into coming back. Hopefully the observations and record of findings will help others. R. Sorin

All the best Richard. :)

A perfect storm of events lead to two serious falls ,concussion,broken facial bones ,dislodged eye and numbness in my entire right arm. For the past 6 weeks it has been learning to do things over and relearning motor skills. Gripper went from a close #3 to a 78lb. Dynamometer and can't quite close a #1. Well, if ever an opportunity to try the skills and what I have learned over the years it is now. I plan on keeping an ongoing record on my workouts and progress . Each day there has been a very tiny increase in vision, balance, and muscle memory. It is a humbling thing to curl 80lb. dumbbells one day and be forced to struggle with 15s now. Pride has been taken over by will, I plan on taking it as far as my body will go. I remarked the other night to great female gripsters both being able to Ccs a #2 to use all their gifts and do great things while you can ,because it can all end in a moment. I am so pleased to see how far grip has progressed and the fine friends I have made. On to the battle ahead. R. Sorin

Richard, sorry to hear...you be careful and take care. Take your time as your doing, your not only a grip legend but a great human being. Always willing to help and answer questions on grip brother Keep your head up I'm here :rock

Richard, I am sorry to hear about your accidents. I am confident that you will make an excellent recovery and I hope it can serve as a road map for others as your knowledge and will applied towards recovery should serve you well. Best Regards, Bob Sundin

Richard, Dmitry Khaladzhi ("Ukrainian Nightmare") wish you a speedy recovery!

Dear Richard, not so long ago, I set a national record, and put on a performance for your t-shirt in your honor.

Hopefully this will raise your spirit and your favors more rapid recovery.
  • Like 2

Went to the neurologist today for his input and along with tests to come he said I had taken head shots akin to Ali. With that he did say the damage could be reversed with rehab and MRI work. Armed with thatinformation under my belt it was off to the gym . Kind of empty on a holiday but time to get with it. This being the fourth workout the reps are helping my movement and the body does remember. Pushed a bit higher in everything. Doing the base work is key. On to grip and the door opened with the smiling face of Ms. D fresh back from a very strong showing at the Highland Games. She motored through sets of squats deep and raw to 385 and hit the grippers in between sets. NO problem clicking a pair of 1.5s , shutting the 2 either hand, coming super close with the 2.5 , and all but shutting a pair of 2s.! Aside from doing thumb building assistance work on the Pops gripper , form ,and deload work was done. I rallied a bit and shut a 1 again finally after nearly two months. In all with Bob Seeger telling it on the radio we had a good day!

• Like 1

Richard, Awesome to read each update. Keep taking these steps brother. Soon you will have made the full trip back and this will just be one more mission completed.

Jedd

• Like 1

In an effort to clear my ringing ears forced air past my broken eye orbit and my eye and face instantly inflated. The pressure popped mt left eye out. Blinded, I just reached up when the eyeball hit my glasses. With nothing else to do I shoved the eyeball back in with a soft "plunk "sound. It was really an ugly thing.

When the first Captain of Crush was born, like all Spartans, he was inspected. If he had been small or puny or sickly or misshapen... he would have been discarded!

Went to the neurologist today for his input and along with tests to come he said I had taken head shots akin to Ali. With that he did say the damage could be reversed with rehab and MRI work. Armed with thatinformation under my belt it was off to the gym . Kind of empty on a holiday but time to get with it. This being the fourth workout the reps are helping my movement and the body does remember. Pushed a bit higher in everything. Doing the base work is key. On to grip and the door opened with the smiling face of Ms. D fresh back from a very strong showing at the Highland Games. She motored through sets of squats deep and raw to 385 and hit the grippers in between sets. NO problem clicking a pair of 1.5s , shutting the 2 either hand, coming super close with the 2.5 , and all but shutting a pair of 2s.! Aside from doing thumb building assistance work on the Pops gripper , form ,and deload work was done. I rallied a bit and shut a 1 again finally after nearly two months. In all with Bob Seeger telling it on the radio we had a good day!

Enjoy the journey, Richard. Every little obstacle... and every little victory.

Going to try to hit workouts three times per week still doing the basics. I do light rep gripper training in the mornings just to get the nerves in my hand responsive. I know formal, heavy grip training is not best repeated frequently but in the conditioning rebuilding phase it is gold. Squats though not related to grip are a real body strength link to the hands and overall well being. First finger and thumb are still a bit numb but the dynamic pinching on the Pops gripper has really seemed to help. Taste is so overlooked as being a important sense is really starting to come back along with it my lost appetite. I have reduced from 285 to 263 so far.

It was an inside joke when the neurologist asked as part of his battery of tests to squeeze his fingers. I said "no" a couple of times then ....ok. I still can do "some "with my left and by the look on his face I am not done yet. I am thankful and very happy to have your interest and much appreciated support! R Sorin

• Like 3

Richard , you , David Horne and John Brookfield are my modern day grip heroes and inspiration , along with my Dad .

If anybody can make a more than full recovery it will be you .

Ill be including you in my thoughts and prayers , get well brother x

• Like 1

Good increases in 7th week.I went from a recent single with the1 to 5 singles with 1.5 and 5 reps with the 1. My hand is still canting off center but the nerves are starting to remember. I try to do whatever I can in each workout getting mid range volume( 4-6 ) reps so repetition is included with strength . One thing I have really looked at is the simple machine a body is. We/I need more water than we think AND breathing is paramount .Most of us tend to shallow breathe and that oxygen is SO important. Think of what a fire does when we add a blast of oxygen!Breathing deep in the chest stretching the ribs and flooding the lungs with available oxygen is HUGE for performance and recovery. Water, stretching with fiber alignment ,and lots of deep full breaths is working better than you would think. I am going along with the doctors tests and recommendations but, I will take every personal opportunity to recover. I am truly inspired by the fine men of grip reaching out with their support. We all will see a dark hour I hope the same inspiration , support ,and challenge comes forth to you.

• Like 2

Might be a great turning point. Tested my Collins dynamometer strength as I have had from day one . Right hand major steps were starting at 78 on first day to 100 for several weeks to 120 for ten days , and on this morning after a weekend of good diet, stretching and sticking to my weekly plan of basic medium volume medium high intensity total body workouts there was marked improvement. Today there was feeling back in my first finger and still some numbness in the tip of my thumb. I registered a squeeze of 140 with no medial nerve balking at muscle firing. Now right and left hand are more in balance to continue.The deep breathing ( lift the chest and stretch the ribs)and associated exercises( breathing squats and pullovers) will be carefully examined for their merit.

• Like 1

Great to hear of this progress, Richard.

Glad to see you enjoying some solid progress as the result of your well thought out regimen. I know that many would have given up and let this horrific physical trauma defeat them but I expect nothing less than triumph from a pioneer in this unique strength sports niche.

I will include you in my prayers Richard although it appears the good Lord is continuing to bless you even through this trial. I was always taught “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them” Matthew 18:20, expect a full recovery “CLAIM IT” for there is a small legend behind you!

Might be a great turning point. Tested my Collins dynamometer strength as I have had from day one . Right hand major steps were starting at 78 on first day to 100 for several weeks to 120 for ten days , and on this morning after a weekend of good diet, stretching and sticking to my weekly plan of basic medium volume medium high intensity total body workouts there was marked improvement. Today there was feeling back in my first finger and still some numbness in the tip of my thumb. I registered a squeeze of 140 with no medial nerve balking at muscle firing. Now right and left hand are more in balance to continue.The deep breathing ( lift the chest and stretch the ribs)and associated exercises( breathing squats and pullovers) will be carefully examined for their merit.

Awesome! Congratulations Mr. Sorin... you are a real champ!

The usual great group of lifters filed in for "Big Monday "lifting. House who looks like the long ago Doyle Kennedy with a shaved head and full in country beard and Jason Lawson the closest human I have seen to a cyborg. Fit, strong and, determined in one rare package. He is competitive in a good way and probably could equal anyone at anything strength fitness related. They were doing their thing a Ms. D. Walked in asking about the Ironmind certification process . I said all must be arranged and steady practice with the credit card and the certification process will set the world on its ear when it all comes together. She is so very strong.

I really felt improved yesterday including a Vitamin C based multi vitamin for recovery and saw the initial turning point I noticed earlier in the day to turn into increased lifts and better squeezing. Lifts not only jumped in weight but in reps to allow for proper volume. Two exercises a major and minor for each body group seems to really work well. 5 reps in work, 6-10 in accessory. Grip really jumped( what a difference a day can make) from last weeks 5 singles with the 1 to 6 reps TNS with the 1, 5 reps with the 1.5 and to my joy two singles with the 2. Over the span of weeks you can see the progress has been very slow but steady. The Pops gripper finished the workout really getting down on the band assisted two hand fingertip closes. I think when this process is done we will have lots of useable data to help others rebuild when faced with similar situations.