Searching Forum's Full History

Autolupus

Hello there, can one of the Mods please explain how to search the entire forum history rather than just the last 30 days.

I realise you have a custom button on the forums themselves, with which you can select a time frame, this I adjusted to show all, this then gives access to the entire forum history. However search still returns only the last 30 days.

Within advanced search I tried setting dates as parameters but it still only returned results from the last 30 days.

It was Durrs post about RT to Inch numbers, a topic which keeps rearing it's head, will continue to do so and has been done to death many times over! It would be nice to be able to access these topics.
Could a brief search 101 be knocked up and stickied. Thanks.

I also would love to understand how to do this

Rich

Type Gripboard and then the topic into a Google search and it will probably pull up the topic. I've had pretty good luck with that so far

• Like 1

I've never had a problem getting old posts and here is what I do:

1. Click the "gear wheel" next to the search bar to open Advanced Search
  2. Enter search keyword(s) under Find Words
  3. Optional: sometimes it helps to enter a member name under Find Author if you know who made the post you want to find. (member name must be exactly correct)
  4. Change Display Results to As Posts
  5. Do NOT enter any date range
  6. Search Now

I just did this for the keyword "Kinney" and got posts all the way back to 2001. There were 8 pages of results which could be sorted in ascending order by the date last updated.

Sometimes I have to try a few different keywords, one at a time, but normally I can find what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

3. Optional: sometimes it helps to enter a member name under Find Author if you know who made the post you want to find. (member name must be exactly correct)
  6. Search Now

I just did this for the keyword "Kinney" and got posts all the way back to 2001. There were 8 pages of results which could be sorted in ascending order by the date last updated.

Sometimes I have to try a few different keywords, one at a time, but normally I can find what I'm looking for.

Nope doesn't help or work, maybe being a mod you have something else but nothing before 2014 came

up for me!

Edited by Autolupus

6. Search Now

Nope doesn't help or work, maybe being a mod you have something else but nothing before 2014 came

up for me!

Tried it with Kinney and the oldest I got was 2012

6. Search Now

up for me!

Tried it with Kinney and the oldest I got was 2012

...and that was the arse end of november!

6. Search Now

up for me!

No, there is no special priv's as a mod. What browser are you using?

6. Search Now

up for me!

No, there is no special priv's as a mod. What browser are you using?

Chrome.

Idk what youre doin dude, but i have never had trouble finding info from the early 2000's that I didnt even want, just don't be all that specific and you will find what youre lookin for.

Idk what youre doin dude, but i have never had trouble finding info from the early 2000's that I didnt even want, just don't be all that specific and you will find what youre lookin for.

Nope, doesn't work!

Nope, doesn't work!

I just want to make sure this isn't a case of "Is it plugged in?" I don't mean for this to be a stupid question:

You see that there are multiple pages of results, right? Page 1 only has like 25 of the results and there are 8 pages (for the Kinney search anyway). You either have to sort the results by ascending or navigate to page 8 to see the oldest stuff.

Otherwise, can you take a screen shot of your search results?

Another question please, how can I view the first topic accending to newest in order?

Edit: I also tried what Cannon told us and got Autolupus result. Last topic was this

#556041 A Legit Joe Kinney Thread

Edited by Alawadhi

Also using chrome here. Experimented using the same search for "joe kinney".

If you leave it as descending order (latest first), the search cuts off after 3 pages, earliest thread on the third page is from 2012. If you change it to ascending order, you can see the earliest thread "Does this seem possible??" from 2001, but it cuts off after 5 pages, only going as late as April 2002.

If you leave it as descending order (latest first), the search cuts off after 3 pages, earliest thread on the third page is from 2012. If you change it to ascending order, you can see the earliest thread "Does this seem possible??" from 2001, but it cuts off after 5 pages, only going as late as April 2002.

Not quite the same though. This kind of makes sense because "joe kinney" is a more specific search than just "kinney" which was used in the examples above and produced more results (8 pages instead of 5).

Another question please, how can I view the first topic accending to newest in order?

You just click the word "ascending".

post-9552-0-55806300-1416851124_thumb.pn

Not quite the same though. This kind of makes sense because "joe kinney" is a more specific search than just "kinney" which was used in the examples above and produced more results (8 pages instead of 5).

You're right about the search terms. But there's still a gap between 2002 and 2012 that seems inaccessible through a search using Chrome: descending gives you 2014 to 2012, ascending gives you 2001 to 2002

For example...click on the Workout Reports and Training Routines Forum.

Can you see the blue bar under start new topic? On the blue bar click on custom.

Change the time frame to "show all"

Now go to the very bottom of the page, can you see the page numbers 1,2,3, next? Click on the arrow to the right of next, go to last page.

That brings me back to 2001

• 2 weeks later...

You're right about the search terms. But there's still a gap between 2002 and 2012 that seems inaccessible through a search using Chrome: descending gives you 2014 to 2012, ascending gives you 2001 to 2002

This

For example...click on the Workout Reports and Training Routines Forum.

Can you see the blue bar under start new topic? On the blue bar click on custom.

Change the time frame to "show all"

Now go to the very bottom of the page, can you see the page numbers 1,2,3, next? Click on the arrow to the right of next, go to last page.

That brings me back to 2001

I can do that but want to use the search function, which doesn't work!