Road To The Red.

Mike Sharkey

Thanks Ump. The Bastards I have are actually so hard I can barely wobble them in doubles. I had an older batch that I bent in IMP's, but it took me closer to 3 minutes.

Right now, I feel like I just need a little more strength through the sticking point around 4.5". I have 445# bar that I plan to use as a test in a week or two. If that is pretty smooth, I think I'll be ready to ask for the cert.

Guest Squat More

Start squatting, man. Join a gym just for the sake of squatting, you're not an idiot you will know how to teach yourself when you know what proper form looks like. I had not touched grippers for a LONG time - like a year, I started using them again on my squat days and in 5 sessions I got my MM0 cert done. No volume of training, just a few closes with a 2.5 and then attempts on my #3. Squats make you stronger over all, they make your grip stronger especially with grippers I have found, (bad word filter) I tend to believe Squats cure cancer.

• Like 1

Word. After the wedding I kinda plan to. Until then its Zerchers with KB's on the bar :blink. And to be precise ... 20 rep squats cure cancer :shifty and make you immortal!

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Guest Squat More

Personally I find 20 rep squats to be a waste of time and energy, they'll build mental toughness but for straight up strength, meh. Anything above 8 reps is kind of useless for that, unless we're talking hypertrophy only. Good for a bit of assistance but I will take sets of 5, triples, doubles, and singles for my working sets over 20 reppers any day.

Just switching it up a little bit. Felt fatigued, still getting Reds even on my off days, but this was lying around so....

longbar30_zps532eb0ac.jpg

A36 HRS. 30" x 5/8" felt good. i can definitely go a bit shorter.
  • Like 1

Back to what works. There is definitely something to be said for taking advice and running experiments, but ultimately I have to follow the principles I know: work within my limits to expand them, and don't put myself into distress.

2 x 19/64" kinked to 4" these feel hard. now I know it takes a couple bends to get he feel for the kink position. working through that and not allowing myself to get frustrated.

3 x Reds kinked to 4" (80%)

EJ is also totally right about the mental state being crucial. I am not an angry or aggressive bender. Its a matter of focus and calm. If my mind is disturbed and I don't feel settled, the steel is not going to respond to me.
  • Like 1

I've come to be a calm bender too. I used to be angry and try to hurt the steel but that is not as effective as being calm. I practically underestimate the steel on purpose. If I think it is softer than it really is it will be a succesful bend. If you think it's hard it will feel very hard. I also don't overthink it. Just grab the bar without hesitation, know it is not that hard, then bend it. I got good enough at this that I kinda busted up my wrist even though it didn't feel hard to bend.

I feel like bending, being such an unusual activity, is actually a good way to discover some level of inner truth about yourself. Path of self discovery and what not. As you say, very very mental. JT told me exactly that. If you don't believe you can bend the bar, the brain will not fire as many muscle fibers.

I also believe bending requires a certain order of muscle activation. Making it a natural movement optimizes the correct timing of things. Most feats are very dependant on the technical aspect, and full body focused down to a single task. Bending is aprime example. Trying to muscle the bar or go all ape s$$$ on it screws up the correct activation process, and just causes one to fight against themselves.

• Like 1

I also believe bending requires a certain order of muscle activation. Making it a natural movement optimizes the correct timing of things. Most feats are very dependant on the technical aspect, and full body focused down to a single task. Bending is aprime example. Trying to muscle the bar or go all ape s$$$ on it screws up the correct activation process, and just causes one to fight against themselves.

^^^^ THIS

Crushed 8 Reds from 2.7" to <2" (some to 1.75 or less)

Crushed 430 "N" Bar.

kinked in BB wraps to 4.5". rest of the way in IMP's. this bar was quite a bit easier than the 445 "O" bar, imo.

17722_10200286743267333_837539013_n_zps1

DL's at 18" up to 420#. Not a safe set up so I stopped there.

Goblet Squats with 32kg bell. 5x7

455# 21/64" bar to 100 degrees in IMP's

DU Cert.

Feb 27, 2013:

Water Bottle Flat Bench Bent Arm Rows 5 x 5

Breathing Incline Dumbbell Press 40# x 30, 35# x 27, 30# x 32.