First Workout For Beginners

David Horne

Guest Bullitt

very cool guys. Some of the older links are gone.

I'm new to this board and wanted to have better grip training. But just for fitness reasons... I cant hang with the CoC stuff.

Finger rolls look good.

So does the plate pinch.

any other stuff I can do at the gym with the normal weights available?

If they have hex dumbells, you can put one on end and pinch lift it from the top. That works great to simulate block weights. Throw a couple towels over the pullup bar and do towel pullups. Heavy DO dead lifts and one hand deads on an oly bar work the grip great for supporting strength too. If they have kettlebells, heavy swings are a way to dynamically work your grip. You can buy a pony clamp at the hardware store for a few bucks to work your thumbs.

very cool guys. Some of the older links are gone.

I'm new to this board and wanted to have better grip training. But just for fitness reasons... I cant hang with the CoC stuff.

Finger rolls look good.

So does the plate pinch.

any other stuff I can do at the gym with the normal weights available?

If they have hex dumbells, you can put one on end and pinch lift it from the top. That works great to simulate block weights. Throw a couple towels over the pullup bar and do towel pullups. Heavy DO dead lifts and one hand deads on an oly bar work the grip great for supporting strength too. If they have kettlebells, heavy swings are a way to dynamically work your grip. You can buy a pony clamp at the hardware store for a few bucks to work your thumbs.

Thanks for those ideas. i gave it a try the other day. i used plates to curl fingers, hex dumbell lift and holds and also worked forearms...

and they were flamed up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was so happy to be shown this thread because I've needed a "grip program" due to my poor grip strength.... Anyway, I was so happy I made a .PDF program to print out for those of you who like to have organized sheets and not just notebook paper, I uploaded it for everyone to use who wishes:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5GP7TB9L

I'm a graphic designer, by the way, and this was thrown together in less than 5 minutes. XP So it's not much...

Edited by zcor

• 1 month later...

Does the reverse wrist curl do the same muscles as are used in elastic extensions? You know, the one where you grab a few rubber bands and stretch them apart with your fingers? Balanced wrist muscles is one of my goals so I wanted to make sure that I covered this in particular.

Also am I fooling myself by hoping that I will be able to train my grip in to keep me able to deadlift with a double overhand standard grip? The bar started rolling out at 230 but I did fine yesterday at 240, and now I will be adding chalk to the mix. Do you think grip training will enable me to keep overhand gripping on sets of 5 deadlifts? (not 1 rep max!) Or is everyone forced to abandon that sooner or later?

Finally, I will follow your advice as you are experienced and I am not - but I am just puzzled as I thought dead-hangs with a dip belt would be the cornerstone of any grip training program, but I barely hear anything about this exercise. Are they liked by grip trainers in general? And what do you think about doing finger curls in a pull-up position instead of a deadlift position?

Edited by Beltshumeltz

Does the reverse wrist curl do the same muscles as are used in elastic extensions? You know, the one where you grab a few rubber bands and stretch them apart with your fingers? Balanced wrist muscles is one of my goals so I wanted to make sure that I covered this in particular.

Also am I fooling myself by hoping that I will be able to train my grip in to keep me able to deadlift with a double overhand standard grip? The bar started rolling out at 230 but I did fine yesterday at 240, and now I will be adding chalk to the mix. Do you think grip training will enable me to keep overhand gripping on sets of 5 deadlifts? (not 1 rep max!) Or is everyone forced to abandon that sooner or later?

Finally, I will follow your advice as you are experienced and I am not - but I am just puzzled as I thought dead-hangs with a dip belt would be the cornerstone of any grip training program, but I barely hear anything about this exercise. Are they liked by grip trainers in general? And what do you think about doing finger curls in a pull-up position instead of a deadlift position?

For building up good static strength for holding the bar for deads I'd suggest heavy dumbell rows and pull-ups/chins. Time under tension.

No. With rubber bands you train the finger extensors and with reverse wrist curls you train the wrist. Grab your forearm with your hand and simulate the movement and you'll feel that other muscles work.

• 1 month later...

I've been following this program for a little while and I was wondering what the next step would be for a program to follow. I'd like to get more organized with my training and get a real program going. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome, I just started getting into Grip Work literally about a week or two ago so this is perfect for me. I am 6' 195#, no Grip stats. Avid Crossfitter who got into gymnastics (ring work) who is now getting into grip strength. Must say I ordered a CoC 1, 1.5, and 2 in my zeal last week and already have them. Glad I found this board before I got too carried away playing with those!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I would have read this before hurting myself lol. I can't wait till I'm fully recovered so I can give this program a try. thanks! :bow

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My recommendation. I would start out with 3 exercises.. 2 times a week. 2-3 sets. 5-10 reps.

Get a weak gripper to just train your last two fingers. IMO it helps to get the last 1-2cm to close a tough gripper.

Get a stronger gripper where you can do 5-10 reps.

Get the Ironmind extensors bands. I love these!

The COC trainer or #1 would be suitable for most beginners.

• 3 weeks later...

This workout is fantastic! I've been working with grippers and a few ideas I've gotten from Brookfield books/articles, but all that and a roller couldn't even compare to the forearm pump and soreness I felt after this workout.

Finger curls are just amazing!

• 3 months later...

David, thanks for posting this.

I lift weights and dance ballet which requires picking up girls and that sort of thing, my wrists are always a huge problem. I have brittle wrists that i've never been able to strengthen, so i'm giving this a shot and will see how it goes, if you have any extra tips for gauging my progress or anything more let me know. My weakest link in lifting has always been my wrists, if i want to get stronger i really need to overcome this hurdle.

Edited by Dezian

Excellent advice.. I was pre-warned about the hazzards of doing too much too soon.

As a former novice in grip training....(Now an more educated sophomore) It took the advice form a Gb member and started out using fat grips on my dumbbells on my lat machine bars And then got my self a starter set of CoC grippers . To actually build strength in my hands and forearms first..... . Yes be very careful starting out gripping as a rookie ripped skin or a torn thumb tendon will for sure put you out of action for a while. Better to start off slow....

My 2 x week Grip Routine Sun & Wed.

CoC trainer gripper for tons of reps..(daily) and I'm a truck driver and use it as a stress reliever. I also keep a 1 and 1.5 in the truck for when I really get pissed off.

Rolling thunder DL's

one hand plate pinch (small stack standard plates)

im hub lifts.

Inch trainer bell clean&press (my new toy) Just started :-)

After that my arms and hands are on fire :-) and look forward to a couple days off.

Still use my thick bars on my lat machine during regular workouts too.

Edited by bb5777

• 3 months later...

Chuck,

Add levering later when you know that your goal is bending. The wrist curls are safer than a leverage exercise, because of the leverage principal, so better for beginners.

David

I agree! Leveraging is a advance form of training the wrist.

Yea! Learning the basic will help you in the long run.

• 3 months later...

yeah, thanks for the helpful replies guys...

Not everything is immediate! Here you go:

(You can use two 35s sandwiched and add a pipe through the middle for added weight.)

2. Finger curls with an Olympic Bar, overhand grip. Hold it on the last set when you can't do anymore finger curls.

(except turn your hands and use an overhand grip. Also wear a shirt with sleeves.)

(Memorize that song. It's part of the lift, believe it or not.)

These are just videos that I searched for on Youtube, but should be enough to get you started.

• 1 year later...

David, I recently ordered a Vulcan V2 gripper and thumbscrew. How can I incorporate them into the workout? Mind you I am a total noob. I have no weightlifting or gripping experience at all. I am mainly using these exercises to strengthen my weak wrists, forearms, and hands for sports.

Edited by Illudrium

• 3 weeks later...
David, I recently ordered a Vulcan V2 gripper and thumbscrew. How can I incorporate them into the workout? Mind you I am a total noob. I have no weightlifting or gripping experience at all. I am mainly using these exercises to strengthen my weak wrists, forearms, and hands for sports.

Make sure you start nice and light, with a weaker spring. If you have the white spring start with this. Use the V2, and the Thumbscrew twice a week, and see how that goes. From this you will start to gain info on how much YOU can train. Get a note book, and start a training book for info and notes. This will be invaluable on your quest.

All the best!

• Like 1