Getting Ready For My First Pl Meet: Would These Lifts Pass?

Mike Rinderle

Doing my first PL meet in February and just trying to get a feel for whether these would pass. Squat deep enough? Bench paused long enough? DL look OK? I really have no idea what judges are looking for, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkpw0eT2rBw

Doing my first PL meet in February and just trying to get a feel for whether these would pass. Squat deep enough? Bench paused long enough? DL look OK? I really have no idea what judges are looking for, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkpw0eT2rBw

Hey Mike, I didn't see anything wrong from a rules perspective in a powerlifting meet but I can say

there's room for improvement on your squat. Your depth was fine but I spotted other things that may

indicate some weaknesses in certain areas (mainly your hamstrings). PM me for details if you'd like.

I wish you well at your first meet!

You seem really STRONG!!!

• Like 1

Looks ok to me also, looking from an IPF perspective. Make sure you know the specific rules of the federation you compete in as they may differ quite a bit. Try to get used to the commands of the head referee (and to obey them), practice it. Your wife may be used to give you commands ;) , so she might help you there... A big lift not being called good because you didn't wait for the "rack"command is :cry !

Thanks guys!

Joe, you are being too kind. I have weaknesses everywhere. HAHAHA Hammies need some work, but my hip strength and flexibility is pathetic right now. I'll shoot you a PM. The only kinda strength I have is my back. Everything else is in major rebuilding mode at this point.

The lifts all look pretty good. Which federation/meet are you doing? The only thing to watch out for is that some feds have a start command on the bench and all of them have a rack command so you can't throw the bar into the rack when you finish.

Aside from that I would recommend not cutting weight for your first meet and going conservative on your attempts. Going 5/9 in your first meet is depressing, I should know.

Good luck!

All your lifts look fine just remember to open with something you can do for 3 easy reps. Just in case something happens on your first attempt you can come back and get it and not bomb out.

Mike, I would make it a point to read the rule book regarding performance of the lifts, specific to your organization. And it might sound a little funny, but after reading the rules visualize yourself performing each of the three lifts in strict adherence to the rules, from walking up to the bar to exiting the platform. There are a lot of pesky little rules you can be called on, so the more familiar you are with all of them the easier it will be for you to focus on getting psyched for the lift. Everyone is different, but being very slow and deliberate always helps me to avoid the stupid mistakes.

If you don't mind me asking, what numbers are you shooting for? Weight class?

Mike, I would make it a point to read the rule book regarding performance of the lifts, specific to your organization. And it might sound a little funny, but after reading the rules visualize yourself performing each of the three lifts in strict adherence to the rules, from walking up to the bar to exiting the platform. There are a lot of pesky little rules you can be called on, so the more familiar you are with all of them the easier it will be for you to focus on getting psyched for the lift. Everyone is different, but being very slow and deliberate always helps me to avoid the stupid mistakes.

If you don't mind me asking, what numbers are you shooting for? Weight class?

Thanks Eric. Well, since I just started benching and squatting again recently, I have very modest goals for this contest. Add in the recent weight loss / strength loss, and I probably should be competing in the novice 90 year old class. :(

This first meet has a masters 40 - 44 division and I will lift in that in the 242 division. I just don't feel like cutting to 220 again.

First comp goals: Get at least one good lift in every event.

Squat: 275 - 300

Bench: 240 to 260

Deadlift: 470 - 490

For a meet at the end of March I am looking at, I'd like to see: 320, 275, 510.

Then at the end of the year: 400, 315, 550 - 600

My alltime max in each lift is:

350 squat (legal depth)

290 bench (paused)

510 Dead (stiff 30mm York Squat bar)

As you can see, I will not be setting any world records. :blush:rolleyes Just something I've always wanted to try and I figure I better do it before I'm too old.

Those are solid goals, Mike. And you are far from old. I've seen a lot of guys in their fifties setting personal bests after decades of lifting.

Be sure and let us know how do!

One other suggestion I have is to not get caught up in the touch and go, no locked out anything, nose bleed squatting lifting that seems so prevalent today.

I still can't believe guys who literally touch and a go the bar at the chest and the judge HIMSELF times the command to be right when it touches (NO PAUSE) and they can call that a pause with a straight face and use that as their PR.

No, I'm going to stay raw and as pure as I can with all the lifts Bill. Although I do like to wear knee sleeves for the old knees and a belt to help stabilize my surgically repaired back. I've benched 300 a few times with touch-n-go (i.e. a little bounce off the sternum), but that's not for me. I also want to stay deep with the squats. I mainly squat to strengthen my hips so i can pull more. I'm really a deadlift whore, if truth be told. :grin: Quarter squats don't build much other than the ego IMO.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

Couple of big mental breakthroughs today. Got inspired when I saw a buddy of mine had squatted 496, so I decided to add some weight and stop thinking so much. Hit a 275 squat and 470 pull, which are 30 and 20lb PRs since the weight loss. I have been overthinking everything since I came back after dropping all the weight. Forgot about everything on the squat except driving back into the bar to come out of the hole. Just dropped down in what felt like a natural way for me and didn't worry about sitting back or this or that and had the straightest bar path I think I have ever had. :huh::grin: My only thought on the pull was don't quit. Just pulled in the way that feels most natural for me. Damn if 470 didn't feel lighter than 440 has been feeling! (note: The plate combo I used is 4.7lbs heavier than marked when weighed on a postal scale, which is why it looks like 465).

Yesterday I was able to add 10 lb to my paused bench for 235. Just tried to mentally go through the commands. Still racked a little early, but it's getting there. Being so mechanical with it made 235 feel like 260. hahaha But it will come around.

Here's the squat and pull from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NT3Sf7_dfw

And the bench from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi-rLCoHwDQ

Mike, I guess someone forgot to tell you you can't improve by twenty five pounds in one workout.

But nice squat, anyways!

Thanks Eric! I wish some of it would transfer over to my bench. It is pathetic. I am weak like kitten.

bar: 2X10

95: 1X5

135: 1X5

185: X 1 (with start, press, and rack commands)

185: X3

240 (with start, press, and rack commands): didn't need the rack command, cause I failed halfway up like a beyatch!

240: touch n go double

155: 1X17

I need to get some bands. My bench shot up like crazy when I was using those. Oh well. Maybe with 6 weeks to work on it and contest adrenaline I'll surprise myself. At this point, I would be thrilled with 245-250. I'll just have to squat and pull more to make up for it. :angry2: Right now, I can't conceive of how I benched 290 paused a couple years ago. I weighed 30 lbs more than I do now, but still... :huh: :huh: :huh:

Those are technically good lifts, Mike. If you happen to be lifting in the USAPL it would be best to count on another second at the chest. They are all about the ultra-strict (almost to the point of going beyond what the rules prescribe), including squat depth. But the organization is remarkably consistent.

And congrats on the improvement!

• Like 1

Thanks Eric! I'll work on holding the pause a bit longer. It's starting to feel a bit more normal.

Hi Mike,

One thing I noticed on your deadlifts - there might be some flexion of the lumbar spine going on - it's hard to tell for sure with the belt and shirt in the way. Generally, one wants a slight arch the other way in the lower back so as not to bulge the annular regions of the disks toward the back of the spine. I noticed you tend to also round your upper back, and some powerlifters make the choice to do that although it can potentially be less safe. I know it happens to me even though I try not to, partly because I'm built like an alligator (long torso, relatively short arms).

You're a pretty strong dude, especially coming off back surgery! Good luck in the meet!

Martin

Thanks Martin. I keep the lower back tight and slightly arched, but I do like to keep my upper back slightly rounded. From the side, this always looks a little more pronounced because I have a really thick mid back and not as much beef in my upper back. I have a short torso and long limbs, which makes for an interesting trip getting the bar past my knees. I'm kind of a reverse dwarf. Haha

Pulled 500 for the first time since the weight loss today. 236 body weight this morning. Felt like I had a few more pounds in the tank. I usually pull at a deficit because my 45s are only 16" diameter. Propped them up to more accurately represent what I'll feel on the platform. This setup puts them at 8 7/8" off the ground. I also pull with a 30mm York Squat bar, which has no flex (whip) in it at all, so hopefully I'll get a bit out of that along with some adrenaline at the meets. First meet Feb 11 is going to be pull only. Meet on May 31st is all three lifts. Hoping to pull 510 in February and 525 in May in the 242 class.

Followed up with some deficit speed work: 225 8 X 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U1bpM_9WPo