Gilbert Goodman, Level 1

barbe705

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Gilbert Goodman

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Official Mash Monster Video

Gilbert mashes the GripBoard Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

9Uvk8bp.jpg

Name: Gilbert Goodman
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 212lbs
Date of Feat: 5/29/2015
Witness: Maria Bascetta
How Long Grip Training: 1.5 years
Current Grip Training Program: Home grown 3x/week tomfoolery
Other Training Info: Currently running Gillingham Bench Press and Deadlift for powerlifting
Other Info: I am currently certified on the CoC#3 and am training to certify on the #3.5 in the coming year.
Acknowledgements: Thanks to Maria for being a constant source of support and encouragement in all my training. Also, thanks to the guys over at /r/griptraining on Reddit for introducing me to the online world of gripsport.
***********************Mash Monster Interview (Optional)***********************
Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?
I started lifting to rehabilitate a torn rotator cuff, but that morphed into bodybuilding, which morphed into powerlifting, which has morphed into powerbuilding with heavy grip emphasis.
How did you get into grip training?
I have always had a strong grip, from years of rock climbing, but I learned about grippers after watching the documentary "Pulling John" and decided to see how strong I was. After closing the CoC #1 & #2 with no problem and no grip specific training, I decided to see how well I could do with dedicated grip training. So far, so good.
You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?
Program your grip work into your workouts. It is too easy to blow off grip work when you are rushed for time. Make it as important as your other exercise.
What does your current grip routine look like?
Wednesday - Light grippers, pinch work. Friday - Rolling Thunder, wrist curls. Sunday - Heavy grippers, pinch work.
How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?
I added in exercises to train my pinch and holding grip.
There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?
Once my body adjusted to volume, I switched to twice weekly training with a volume day and a heavy day. Consistency has been the most important part of my strength gains.
What are your favorite grip exercises?
Grippers and Axle DL
Who do you most admire in gripdom?
Andrew Durniat - He is so well rounded and incredibly strong. I look forward to meeting him and all the other super strong guys at NAGSC 2015.
If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?
Stay consistent.
What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?
Euro pinch, 1h and 2h. My pinch strength pales in comparison to my holding and crushing strength.
What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?
212lbs on Rolling Thunder, 402lbs Axle Deadlift, 65lbs IM Hub.
What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?
Overtraining and hurting underdeveloped tendons and ligaments.
What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?
Certifying on the CoC#4
Do you have any parting advice for readers?
Don't get strong for money, fame, or other people. Do it for self-respect and fun.
  • Like 1