World Class Feats? Who Decides?

mightyjoe

I have not lost any strength yet in the pinch, dropping in weight from 83k to 78k but I still have almost 4 inches more around my waist compared to when I did bodybuilding training two decades ago, so there is plenty of fat to burn.

Mikael - I can't remember how old you are but I know in my case at least my hips seemed to get wider and my waist got bigger over the last decade as a consequence of aging and maybe from all the lifting I have done for over 50 years now. I'm also sure I have more body fat of course but that doesn't seem to account for all of the increase in waist measurement - a few years ago I dieted down and achieved a pretty low body fat (calipers) and my waist was still a few inches bigger than when I was younger. There is something besides just body fat going on I believe. Perhaps more internal fat stores in that area or another age related change in my body. I've read all the articles that talk about this and all the reasons proposed and I think it may be somewhat caused by gravity simply acting on us for longer and longer time periods. A ten percent body fat measurement on a 20 year old and a 60 year old are not quite the same thing. At least not one done with calipers - perhaps one of the other measurement methods would show better what is going on?

Edited by climber511

you will loose strength in all areas when your body fat percentage gets extremely low.

Sounds like I have nothing to fear, I like to keep my body fat around 50%........... :zorro:

• Like 1

You don't want to be skinny on a sinking ship with no lifeboats. Sharks prefer blubber though I suppose.

you will loose strength in all areas when your body fat percentage gets extremely low.

Sounds like I have nothing to fear, I like to keep my body fat around 50%........... :zorro:

I have noticed a slight change in the fat distribution as well (I am 50). Less fat on my legs but more around my waist (its a subtle difference at this stage). My ass is still fat though, always has been.

I have not lost any strength yet in the pinch, dropping in weight from 83k to 78k but I still have almost 4 inches more around my waist compared to when I did bodybuilding training two decades ago, so there is plenty of fat to burn.

Mikael - I can't remember how old you are but I know in my case at least my hips seemed to get wider and my waist got bigger over the last decade as a consequence of aging and maybe from all the lifting I have done for over 50 years now. I'm also sure I have more body fat of course but that doesn't seem to account for all of the increase in waist measurement - a few years ago I dieted down and achieved a pretty low body fat (calipers) and my waist was still a few inches bigger than when I was younger. There is something besides just body fat going on I believe. Perhaps more internal fat stores in that area or another age related change in my body. I've read all the articles that talk about this and all the reasons proposed and I think it may be somewhat caused by gravity simply acting on us for longer and longer time periods. A ten percent body fat measurement on a 20 year old and a 60 year old are not quite the same thing. At least not one done with calipers - perhaps one of the other measurement methods would show better what is going on?

Yes, as you age the fat distribution changes. There is more visceral fat (fat around the internal organs). However, the equations used to predict body fat % using skin fold measurements takes this into account. Age is a variable in these equations, so that the exact same skin fold measurements on a 20 year old male and a 50 year old male will yield different % body fat numbers--the 50 year old will have a higher % body fat number due to higher visceral fat storage assumption.

You certainly don't look like a skinny runt at 145, Matt. My arms won't look half that big when I weigh in the 160s.

Mikael, I'm 6'0" tall. I still have a little fat accumulation hanging on in the form of small love handles. I also seem to always maintain a relatively smooth look, even at very low body weights, so I'm not even trying to get super cut. After I lose something like another three pounds of fat all but the last bit of water weight I intend to lose will need to be the unnecessary muscle weight I have in my thighs, shoulders, etc. The running seems to be doing a fair job of addressing that. Other than some hammer curls and pushups I'm doing I do no other non-grip strength training besides my staple deadlifts. I could be hurting myself continuing with the deadlifts, but I can't bring myself to give them up. I think the CNS benefit they provide is helpful. Also, I've noticed that when an axle lift feels light to my body as a whole I'm able to grip it better, as well. But your assessment of what results I can expect based on time frame, fat percentage, etc. is fair. I'm enjoying the challenge... some of the time. :whistel

How lean were you at 145?

This lean.

146.jpg

Dang you can see the muscle striations in you shoulders relaxed that is crazy. Was the the leanest you have ever been? Did it take a lot of effort or have you always been naturally quite lean? You were a climber also right? Seems like most climbers tend to be in great shape.

Yeah, that's the leanest I got. I weighed 145-146 in that photo. By the way, this was accomplished 100% with Bill's eBook on "Transforming Your Physique." I highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

I was not a climber. I've always been a "skinny" guy and this took about 4 months of nothing except discipline with diet and workouts.

• Like 1

Then we are same height and I will guess that you will pull in the mid-90ies (k's), possibly somewhat more if the conditions are good. I recall you mentioned that humidity etc were not optimal when you set the WR in the 83k class.

You certainly don't look like a skinny runt at 145, Matt. My arms won't look half that big when I weigh in the 160s.

Mikael, I'm 6'0" tall. I still have a little fat accumulation hanging on in the form of small love handles. I also seem to always maintain a relatively smooth look, even at very low body weights, so I'm not even trying to get super cut. After I lose something like another three pounds of fat all but the last bit of water weight I intend to lose will need to be the unnecessary muscle weight I have in my thighs, shoulders, etc. The running seems to be doing a fair job of addressing that. Other than some hammer curls and pushups I'm doing I do no other non-grip strength training besides my staple deadlifts. I could be hurting myself continuing with the deadlifts, but I can't bring myself to give them up. I think the CNS benefit they provide is helpful. Also, I've noticed that when an axle lift feels light to my body as a whole I'm able to grip it better, as well. But your assessment of what results I can expect based on time frame, fat percentage, etc. is fair. I'm enjoying the challenge... some of the time. :whistel

That's leaner than I will be at 74k (not by a huge margin though). When I did bodybuilding training, I weighed 80k at a body fat percentage comparable to that shown in your picture but much of that muscle mass is not needed in grip competitions as it will only place you in a higher weight class.

How lean were you at 145?

This lean.

146.jpg