The Gripday Party - Springfield, Missouri April 5,2014

Colt

For the sake of brevity I am only listing max scores of each athlete on each event. Also the 2hp numbers, once re calibrated using Jedd's Euro, where actually a little lower than what was called at the comp. My apologies and we will not have this oversight ever again!

20mm Grippers

Ben Edwards 157.6

Josh Dale 153.2

Kyle Jack 142.17

Karl Skjelvik 130.93

Luke Wicks 117.19

Chris Andrade 89.48

Bill Barlow 89.48

Amber Edwards 72.00

2 Hand Euro Pinch

Karl Skejelvik 194.167

Kyle Jack 188.205

Josh Dale 184.137

Bill Barlow 176.106

Luke Wicks 162.132

Ben Edwards 161.405

Chris Andrade 136.365

Amber Edwards 104.525

12lb Sledge Hammer Choke

Josh Dale 21"

Karl Skjelvik 18"

Luke Wicks 14"

Ben Edwards 13"

Bill Barlow 13"

Chris Andrade 13"

Kyle Jack 12"

Amber Edwards 4"

3:00 Medley scored by number of lifts completed

Josh Dale 27 points

Kyle Jack 24 points

Karl Skjelvik 23 points

Ben Edwards 23 points

Bill Barlow 18 points

Luke Wicks 16 points

Amber Edwards 13 points

Chris Andrade 11 points

Water Jug Farmers Walk (599.30' lowest time wins distance)

Josh Dale 599.3'

Bill Barlow 599.3' (2nd)

Kyle Jack 566'

Karl Skjelvik 507.1'

Ben Edwards 412.9'

Luke Wicks 303.2'

Chris Andrade 196'

Amber Edwards 92.3'

Overall Placing

1)Josh Dale 49.204 points

2)Karl Skjelvik 43.859 points

3)Kyle Jack 42.761 points

4)Ben Edwards 39.911 points

5)Bill Barlow 37.605 points

6) Luke Wicks 33.438 points

7)Chris Andrade 26.236 points

Womens

1) Amber Edwards 18.211 points

Thank you to all who competed and sponsored!

Congrats to all on some fine numbers!

Did anyone weigh in on a point-calibrated scale in the two hour window before the contest?

Yes Eric, everyone did.

weight class

Ben Edwards 105k

Josh Dale 93k

Luke Wicks 105k

Kyle Jack 120k

Chris Andrade 120k

Karl Skjelvik 105k

Bill Barlow 120k

I was about a tenth of a pound from being in the 120kg weight class. I threatened to take my shirt and shorts off and weigh in my undies. The scale relented.

• Like 2

Wow, I didn't realize it when we were all competing, but it appears Amber's numbers in the 2hp and the 20mm gripper will put her in the top 5 overall for US women on the NAGS site. Excellent job. LOL, and she was upset at a few of her numbers because she missed some lifts and closes that she said she had previously been good on.

I think everyone did a great job. It was great meeting all the guys and gals and the contest was first rate, hands down. Colt, his wife CJ, Luke, and their entire families and friends were such great hosts it was unbelievable. Strong Gym was an excellent hosting venue and the owner and his family were nothing short of awesome to all of us.

I exceeded my expectations on the medley and 2hp since it was my first comp and first time I had touched the Euro and most of the medley items. I could have been good for a few more pounds on both the grippers and 2hp but I wanted 200# on the Euro in my first meeting and made a brave jump. Also wanted a 150# gripper close but the 8 add'l pounds was not to be. I should have went for the 147 gripper, but I was competing against myself in my mind. My sledge choke was horrible and no doubt cost me 2nd place. Have a long way to go on that event, but I will work on it now.

Huge shout-out especially to Bill Barlow. The guy walked in off the street in jeans and a plaid shirt and had never even touched a gripper and never even heard of any of the other events. The guy suffered from technique issues on the grippers and the medley, but almost pulled 180 on the Euro with no special grip training at all and also carried the water jugs the max distance. The guy even said he just started working out with weights just a few weeks ago. He said he's hooked, so hopefully he will stick with it.

Kyle

Edited by Billy Jack
  • Like 3

Ok, the NAGS lists have been updated with the results.

And just to confirm, Karl is from Norway? And was he 53 or 54 years old at the time of the contest?

Awesome numbers - and it sounds like a very well run contest - great job!

During the medley, I bent a Blue Nail. Used a hideous facsimile of double overhand. First bend in years. I don't remember what the pads were. I hadn't planned on even touching the bending, but someone during my run shouted out that I had about 30 seconds left and I'd better bend that Blue so I could pick up 3 points quickly.

Anyone remember what pads were used on the bends? The contest adrenaline carried my shoulders through it okay, but I am surprised I don't recall if the pads were Ironmind pads or leather. My recall on that part of the contest is completely gone.

Wow, I didn't realize it when we were all competing, but it appears Amber's numbers in the 2hp and the 20mm gripper will put her in the top 5 overall for US women on the NAGS site. Excellent job. LOL, and she was upset at a few of her numbers because she missed some lifts and closes that she said she had previously been good on.

I think everyone did a great job. It was great meeting all the guys and gals and the contest was first rate, hands down. Colt, his wife CJ, Luke, and their entire families and friends were such great hosts it was unbelievable. Strong Gym was an excellent hosting venue and the owner and his family were nothing short of awesome to all of us.

I exceeded my expectations on the medley and 2hp since it was my first comp and first time I had touched the Euro and most of the medley items. I could have been good for a few more pounds on both the grippers and 2hp but I wanted 200# on the Euro in my first meeting and made a brave jump. Also wanted a 150# gripper close but the 8 add'l pounds was not to be. I should have went for the 147 gripper, but I was competing against myself in my mind. My sledge choke was horrible and no doubt cost me 2nd place. Have a long way to go on that event, but I will work on it now.

Huge shout-out especially to Bill Barlow. The guy walked in off the street in jeans and a plaid shirt and had never even touched a gripper and never even heard of any of the other events. The guy suffered from technique issues on the grippers and the medley, but almost pulled 180 on the Euro with no special grip training at all and also carried the water jugs the max distance. The guy even said he just started working out with weights just a few weeks ago. He said he's hooked, so hopefully he will stick with it.

Kyle

Congrats to Amber! I enjoyed talking with her and Chris sporadically throughout the contest. And I should thank Chris again for the 2HP tips. Because I don't know if I would've been within 10lbs of my best lift without really thinking through some of the things we talked about.

I really enjoyed meeting and talking with everyone that I wasn't already acquainted with. Everyone was cheering each other on. And that is one of my favorite things about grip sport competitions.

Kyle, I also enjoyed talking to you. You are very humble and are not afraid to ask questions on things you don't have a lot of knowledge of. Even when you ended up beating the tar out of me on everything but grippers. :grin: I was very impressed with your strength on all things pinch.

Glad you mentioned Bill, because he was very unassuming and stomped the hell out of me on pinch.

They were a black suede i belive

Thanks Chris. I'm glad someone remembered. And thanks again for the pinch tips man! They are appreciated. Didn't want you to think I had forgotten that you took the time to give me some pointers during the contest. Hope I can repay that one of these days. Maybe at the next Gripday Party? :)

• Like 2

Glad i could help ya out buddy. Great comp with a bunch of cool people. Looking forward to the next one