Grip Machine Idea

climber511

Just an idea I came up with.

• Like 5

Thats very inventive!

Very cool idea Chris!

Looks great

Looks cool.

Suggestion, handles that close tighter than a normal gripper would.

Looks cool.

Suggestion, handles that close tighter than a normal gripper would.

I wonder if a guy used the 5/8 but cut a notch lengthwise with an angle grinder the other handle would inset some without the risk of pinching and would keep the diameter/feel similar.

Very nice Chris!

Was you thinking training tool only or modified for contests maybe?

It has 3/4" handles - it would be possible to grind the handles so they closed tighter than a gripper - I don't know what that might do as far as pinching the skin, Bill. There may be a different construction method possible also. I don't like 5/8" handles - the 5/8" grippers I have tried weren't something I enjoyed. Other than at the ends - gripper handles never touch together either. Personally I like parallel handles rather than V shaped - nothing I ever grab in real life has a V shape.

Joe - both. As a training tool, it takes away the dead lift possibility but as a possible crush test in a contest it might be good too. This was a down and dirty job using steel I already had and a cable I bought for $20. But if when I have people in and we play around with it - if people like the way it feels etc and we can't find a way to cheat on it - and it works out - well, then I can see a second version being built in the machine shop to use at Gripmas. My thoughts are if we used a guillotine style grip machine and this - it might be possible to use competition plates and if we weighed the "carriage" of the machine and added that in - we might have a crush test that could be used all over the world if the specs for everything were public knowledge. I have talked about another crush test besides grippers for a long time now - ever since all the RGC stuff and the setting arguments came along nearly a decade ago. This is a first effort - I know others have talked about this as well and some of them have better building skills and likely better ideas of how to build a crushing device for contests. But it's a start anyway. Who knows where it might end up - hydraulics and other ideas - I have hope anyway.

No arguments about the "set" - you decide what width to have at a contest and set that up - then everyone just grabs it with one hand and goes. No questions about ratings - or which brand or what gripper is easy/hard on the table at a contest. Cheap enough to make that people could have one as a training device. And other than possible variations in friction, repeatable any where in the world. Now I don't really think this first version built in my garage is the final answer by any means - but maybe it will get people and even companies thinking about the concept - and someday we can test crushing grip as accurately as we do the 2HP - Axle etc.

I can see where this can be applied well in training. What would be the advantages of this set-up vs. using a hand dynomometer in a constest setting?

I can see where this can be applied well in training. What would be the advantages of this set-up vs. using a hand dynomometer in a constest setting?

This is a topic very worthy of discussion because we have 2 different ways that grip strength are being measured. One is dynamic and the other static. The reason doctors and sports scientists use dynamometers to test ones grip strength is due to the fact that a muscle can produce more force statically than dynamically. With this in mind I like the idea of both a dynamic test and a static test! Dyno for the static test and grip machine type apparatus for the dynamic test and there's other possibilities as well for each method.

One of the biggest obstacles to overcome in any idea, concept, etc. is limited thinking in the form of "either/or" thinking when we should exercise the thinking mind set of and/both or even better apply De Bono's PMI method that he taught in his book on how to improve one's thinking abilities. The P stands for pluses. The M stands for minuses and the I stands for interesting. One writes down the pluses and minuses of an idea and then lastly writes down what would be interesting. What this does is it prevents one from using their emotions first before they even began to explore possibilities. Works quite well!

My point? Why not have both? Something to think about!

I'm headed to Tyler to purchase a simple device to test out on my DDM tomorrow for rating grippers!

Dynometers don't move would be the biggest one. A dyno is a static test and this is dynamic.- both have value - just quite different is all. The adjustability of width is another. If a promoter wants similar to a CCS - just set it to that width - 20mm block set - simple adjustment. Want to train just the last few mm - easy as pie. I don't know about all dynos but its pretty easy to cheat on some of them.

Sorry - didn't see that Joe posted above before I answered.

Edited by climber511

Chris - swap out for a force meter, and you have a dyno as well with your design.

Chris - swap out for a force meter, and you have a dyno as well with your design.

I just did a quick Google for force meters - $350 to $2000. Kinda liking my grip machine better and better :) But it would be cool.

I just did a quick Google for force meters - $350 to $2000. Kinda liking my grip machine better and better :) But it would be cool.

Borrow Aaron's :grin: