Farmers Walk Handles

Mephistopholes

So, for a good while I've wanted farmers walk handles, but I still don't have any. Also, at the moment I don't have enough plates to really do it... So that's something for me to work on.

But anyway, for those who do or have done the farmers walk, I'd appreciate info on what sorts of implements you all have used.

Did you buy them? If so, where? What would you recommend?

Were they homeade? If so, how? And would you recommend it?

Right now I have a couple of 2" diameter dumbbell handles, which will be fun for that (when I get plates to do it with) but I won't be able to get that as heavy as I want. I want to do it right, with "regular" sized handles, and go heavy.

Thanks.

Here's the set I made: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=724

I've had 350 pounds loaded on each of them with no problem. Without access to welding equipment, I was able to get all the supplies in one trip to the hardware store.

i love farmers walks.

i have a set like eric's i'd sell you. the only reason i am getting rid of them is they do not keep my plates off the ground. i do farmers walks in the street and dropping 200#s on the concrete can really eat up steel plates.

i got my nuts and bolts from a hardware store and the pipe from a scrap yard. they are great for indoor use or on grass. probably $30 wrapped up in the whole thing.

my new version will be made out of 6"x6" lumber.

i love farmers walks.

Ah nice. Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I like this lift, but haven't had much opportunity to do it really...

I think I'll probably just make my own handles, but the stuff mentioned above helps give me some reference. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Anybody know what the "standard," or at least average height (if there is one) of farmers walk handles is? As in, from base to top of handle. Thanks.

Just a recommendation from my own experience. You can always put your farmer's bars on blocks to make the initial lift higher, thus easier. If you want to improve your initial pickup strength, you just take the bars off the blocks, and/or load the bars with smaller diameter plates, such as 25's instead of 45's to increase the range of motion of the pickup. Therefore, I would recommend that you make the bars with handles that do not come up that far from the tops of the bars that you be attaching them to.

• Like 1