Curl War 3: The Peoples' Dietitian Vs. The Diesel Crew

jad

As I had a spare minute I typed a few carefully chosen words in Google and bam! I must have chosen them wisely as the very first result was a link to the NorthEast Armwrestling board and I found this two posts by Rob Vigeant Jr., dated from 2011:

Also another important factor....biceps are relatively small muscles so 10 extra lbs in a curl is like 100 in the bench where much bigger and multiple muscle groups come into play..... And it's 2 handed.
An 85 curl is like a 550 bench.... Probably strongest on your gym.... Even regionally.... Most likely you will win a good handful actual competitions.... It's very very good.
A 100 lb curl... Strict .... Is like a 700 lb bench..... IMO
Just because someone you know is close means nothing, in weightlifting those extra lbs are sometimes far from reachable for the masses.
100 is not impossible at all, I think it gets thrown around a lot and I can never seem to see anyone do it.
I can do 90 easy.... Have done 95 a few times back against a wall .... 100 feels like 250.... Very weird.
I'm not a hater or a nonbeliever but it is a very elite lift and per strict curl records one that has yet to be documented.
A friend of badger drewes, Wayne Andrews used to run strict curl comps all over, under his rules and guidelines I did 175 at 195 a few years back, weird lift.... Hurts your back.

Right under this, Rob said:

Eric spoto used to rep an 85 when we worked out..... 95 was well out of reach.... He couldn't move it.... He's pretty strong too

So I guess Sam is back to his old habit of making claims for people....

He did state both he and Spoto got 95 minimum up in the gym.

I'll find it later.

I say we start over with backs against a wall or door...

Thanks for posting Arturo. I'm training with a focus on biceps again and will see what I can do. 80 pounds seem to be a great goal.

" Eric spoto used to rep an 85 when we worked out..... 95 was well out of reach.... He couldn't move it.... He's pretty strong too"

Yep. My mistake, must of miss read it.

• 1 month later...

I think it was suggested that the best way to really do this is to go against a wall or door. I agree. You can not swing at all when doing it this way.

Let's get back to basics...

The root of this whole thing was because every tom ,dick and Harry were talking about throwing around 100+ lb dumbbells like it was a warm up... It got so bad that if you weren't on that poundage level you weren't as strong as the 154 guys on the board.

I had a problem with these lies because I know it's all bull and ego... But a new guy trying to get a strength comparison in a fairly simple move may be dropping a but to curl 70... Then reads the board and finds out that non nat placers in 3 weight classes lower are rapping twice as much.... It is beyond discouraging.

Sooo... My solution was to merely post a 100lb curl... Not that it was impossible, but the way these guys were talkin you'd think they coulda had a martini in one hand while smoothly curling a 100... And not spill a drop.

With all the search engines and technology I figured a video woulda surfaced in a month or less... But years later it hasn't happened.

So what now ?... Sure there are strong guys and with enough focus and incentive could prob attain this some years later... Maybe. The very point was at that time with all the claims it apparently didn't exist... What happens today and down the road is immaterial.

To touch on a few posts and update on my own...

Sam... I never went to the gym with spoto... I went to his house.. And I never saw him curl 95

James... If it were a concentration curl it would be a different game as the small movements in that and elbow stabilization make it easier... For me at least... I can concentrate curl my 105 with what seems pretty darn strict . Shoulder, back and humerus positions and angles really play part too... But I'm open to joining in.

For me.. None of these videos was a build up to a max... My 85 was a simple description of what my opinion of a strict curl was... Suddenly that became the "mark"... Ok I guess.

Hulk Robert passed it and said his bit... So I went downstairs... Cold, a few rum and cokes... And without training for a significant time... And did a solid 95.

Today... I want to hit my own level and haven't been interested in the curl war... As I never saw it as that... It was a call out on claims that to me was settled years back... But now training... I can legitimately hit the triple digit mark... Even against a wall... I have a 105... I'll post when it's as clean and on point as I want, but it'd pass 90% of the most scrutinous eyes...

• Like 2

Really like this thread always hit the curls hard over the years. Some great footage here and strong guys. I looked up some of my old training log numbers gosh ...to be young again! Keep it rolling guys!

Great posts Robbie and Richard.

I think "Curl War" was really just a fun name Josh chose.

I'd actually be interested in maintaining a list in my forum of curls done against a wall. That way, there is much less judgement required.

I love hitting curls. The stronger you get in them the stronger you can get in other lifts. No sense in building a weakness.

I will post a thread in my forum for this list once I have time enough to shoot the video and work the rules out.

strict position !!! elbow is fixed !!!

and here is Cyplenkov and KIRILL SARYCHEV

sorry about I writing second post but I can not edit the earlier...

Pawel, those are all strong dudes. I'd be happy to attain all those lifts.

I agree with CanCrusher though, against the wall is a good way to do a challenge list.

These are always hard to judge, but against a wall could be a start. However, I feel that even then some cheating can be done, that is why "scrutinous" eyes as Rob put it are needed.

For me, personally, I believe a true max curl will be rather slow, like Rob's curls in his videos with the 95# dumbbell. Watch it, in real time, and see how slow it is through the ROM. Then watch most other people's "max" curl, and see how the dumbbell literally JUMPS from starting possition to about mid-ROM... to me, this is a very clear sign of momentum starting the movement. And the sad part about it is that that it can come from the hips, legs, or even calves (watch the super strong dudes in pawel's videos a few posts above this.. see the guy's heels lift at each rep!). And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that all these muscles are very strong... think about it, guys can clean literally hundreds of pounds using their hips.... so a very strong man needs very, very little momentum to actually add 10# or 20# to his true "max" curl... only the tiniest hip/leg/ankle movement that helps get the DB halfway up and a guy goes from 70# (a very strong, but attainable max curl) to 90# (apparently a very rare, even unattainable for many guys, max STRICT curl).. and the difference in form is hard to spot from one video to the other, that's what's tricky!

Anyways, just wanted to share this. Not that any of it bothers me. Oh and if anyone is interested I never trained for this but once posted a video of something like 55# so maybe that makes my opinion invalid for some, or all :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Jedd, against the wall is a good way to do a challenge list.

BUT I THINK IS IMPORTANT KEEP ELBOW CLOSE BODY AND NOT MOVE FORWARD AND UP... It's just my opinion...

I think we should do it the way USAWA does it. Whatever that says is the established way to do it in competition. Why re-write the book?

Like Jedd said, Curl War 3 was just a catchy title to try and drum up a little excitement. It was Rob's challenge and he posted a video showing what he expected. As someone who was actively promoting the challenge for a while I would get constant questions about the lean or the elbow coming up or why they couldn't curl against the wall. I'm not personally invested in the rules, my thoughts were it was/is Rob's challenge so they're his rules to keep or change.

Curls are not a lift that is normally used in competition for a reason - it is nearly impossible to judge. There are many such lifts - and many arguments about each of them. Bench - squat - DL - Snatch - C&J - you name it people want to judge after the fact - and many of those people couldn't even quote you the rules as followed for that organization. Lift, enjoy, repeat - we're not curing cancer here. Do the best we can of course but all the arguing doesn't accomplish much. Its hard enough to get 3 judges to agree when they are sitting right in front of (or to the sides of) the lift - let alone judging after the fact from a video where you having slow motion and replay to assist you. Video and such can be a good thing and also a mess - everyone thinking their opinion matters more than the people who were there - rightly or wrongly - doesn't work out so well it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam - I sure hope you're joking. But I admit - it's a very good method of "something".

Edited by climber511

The first one Sam posted was posted here before and it is a terrible strict curl.

The second one he posted is much stricter, but the guy goes from a flexed spine to a slightly extended one to get the first several inches of the curl going. It shows exactly why the only way to test this properly is standing against a wall or door. Still, a great curl, but not perfect.

The first one Sam posted was posted here before and it is a terrible strict curl.

The second one he posted is much stricter, but the guy goes from a flexed spine to a slightly extended one to get the first several inches of the curl going. It shows exactly why the only way to test this properly is standing against a wall or door. Still, a great curl, but not perfect.

Exactly. The torso possition and movement makes quite a bit of difference. Definitely a very strong cat though.