High Volume Routine

Bill Piche

Here is a post to allow everybody a chance to critique what it is Dave and I are currently doing and discuss the training in general. Many have asked what were are actually doing, the actual workouts are in my blog. I post almost daily a retarded rambling dialog of an moron (me). As always these are my opinions and I could be wrong. I set goals, and push myself to do insane things. This may not be smart or work for all, but I pride myself on being mentally tough, and in the end maybe that is all I will be. Fortunatly that is good enough for me. Are other approaches better, possibly. My approach is making changes when what I am doing loses effectiveness. I want to give you background on what we do so you can see some method to our madness. I am not good at grippers and I hate doing them. I only usually do them for a couple of weeks and then give up. I love bending. Grippers and bending are hard to do at the same time because my hands just get so beat down. So I always end up dropping the grippers. Well now I have an injury that I want to get behind me so I have layed off bending for now.

Here is what we set out to do when Dave and I started the high volume mess we are in.

Our routine is this: Start with an easy gripper (Trainer) and do max reps on it each day, 5 days on 2 days off. The 5 days is in a row. For example I did sets of 100 or so on the trainer and I did about 1000 reps per day. I really had to push to get 100 reps done at the time.

Next week go up a gripper, try not to go up too fast (like a trainer to a #2, go from a trainer to a #1). You want to train to failure on each set and do as many sets as you can to fail that way too. I couldn’t sleep at night if I felt I could have gotten more that day. Some days I did not do so well, but it was the best I could do that day, usually the next day I would have a killer workout. Dave and I usually had a contest type of thing on the last day of a particular gripper where we pushed ourselves way past insane, knowing that we could take two days off.

On the last week prior to getting to our max gripper we did 4 days of reps and 3 days off and then maxed out. I will go and do one week of negatives for reps and then I will fall back and start over with the trainer and break every previous PR I had as I push myself back toward the #3 again and hopefully double it this time.

Every set is to failure. To give an example on the trainer I did about 10 sets. on the RB260N I do about 8 sets. It is all about feel, I just try to put up enough reps that I know I did my best and then some. I don't want to feel that there were 3 more reps possible when I am done.

What should be happening is your body will adjust to the volume and you will tax muscles that maybe you do not fully utilize on the lower rep work. You are then peaking yourself with the gradual increase in intensity (gripper level) an subsequent decrease in reps. This is a VERY brutal workout and should feel like your hands are on fire most nights. Sometimes I hurt so bad I had to use every ounce of willpower I have to grab the gripper again for another set. My hands have toughened up and I can now fall back to the Trainer and start over and it should actually be easier to do more reps than ever since my skin is now more prepared.

As to overtraining, you will feel like you do it every day. This is my opinion: I think the forearms like the calves can take a lot more punishment and bounce back. I have a real problem with the word overtraining, seems more people are worried about that than undertraining. If people were as cautious about undertraining as they are overtraining there would be a heck of a lot more strong people. You do this type of training to your thighs and you wouldnt be able to walk. Your hands.... They bounce back so fast it isnt even funny.

Example for me:

Trainer 5 on 2 off

#1 5 on 2 off

#2 5 on 2 off

RB240N 5 on 2 off

RB260N 4 on 3 off

Max day #3

Negatives Elite – 4 on 2 off start the day after max.

Start the whole thing over… Change up to something else.. Modify it. You gotta listen to your own body and work things out. Once thing that ALWAYS seems to work is HARD work. When your eyeballs are popping out, your skin is bleeding and you lose your lunch for the sixth time, your going to get stronger when you rest. Hell if you don't get stronger you will be tougher and I will chose tougher anyday of the week and twice on Sunday... I think a round of KTA after this would yield some tremendous gains since it relies on techniques not even done on this approach (strap holds, overcrushes, Heavy reliance on negatives). The change up to and from different training styles may be the jump start you need to moving back into great gains.

Respectfully,

Greg

Love the hard work reference. Once my mind is set I'm not unduly bothered about skin, spit and sweat. Today I was trying my hard 3 left handed and Jim Wylies 4 right handed and WOW was it hard.

It was even a little tough warming up but as the closes with the CoC 1 started in, then the HG300 and finally the CoC 3 (last warm up set right hand) I knew I was ok. Each attempt and negative was supper tough and occasionally I had the little finger getting squashed and mashed and that hurts. The left hand attempts were really squeezed to the point were my hand and forearm would shake with the effort. With my right hand one of my feet would come of the floor and I'd be going 'COME ON YOU S.O.A.B!' and then stamp the floor hard as the gripper opened back up.

Even doing half the work sitting down had me sweating a little.

Then it was bar bending time... :cool

Here is a post to allow everybody a chance to critique what it is Dave and I are currently doing and discuss the training in general. Many have asked what were are actually doing, the actual workouts are in my blog. I post almost daily a retarded rambling dialog of an moron (me). As always these are my opinions and I could be wrong.  I set goals, and push myself to do insane things. This may not be smart or work for all, but I pride myself on being mentally tough, and in the end maybe that is all I will be. Fortunatly that is good enough for me. Are other approaches better, possibly. My approach is making changes when what I am doing loses effectiveness. I want to give you background on what we do so you can see some method to our madness. I am not good at grippers and I hate doing them. I only usually do them for a couple of weeks and then give up. I love bending. Grippers and bending are hard to do at the same time because my hands just get so beat down. So I always end up dropping the grippers. Well now I have an injury that I want to get behind me so I have layed off bending for now.

Here is what we set out to do when Dave and I started the high volume mess we are in.

Our routine is this: Start with an easy gripper (Trainer) and do max reps on it each day, 5 days on 2 days off. The 5 days is in a row. For example I did sets of 100 or so on the trainer and I did about 1000 reps per day. I really had to push to get 100 reps done at the time.

Next week go up a gripper, try not to go up too fast (like a trainer to a #2, go from a trainer to a #1). You want to train to failure on each set and do as many sets as you can to fail that way too. I couldn’t sleep at night if I felt I could have gotten more that day. Some days I did not do so well, but it was the best I could do that day, usually the next day I would have a killer workout. Dave and I usually had a contest type of thing on the last day of a particular gripper where we pushed ourselves way past insane, knowing that we could take two days off.

On the last week prior to getting to our max gripper we did 4 days of reps and 3 days off and then maxed out. I will go and do one week of negatives for reps and then I will fall back and start over with the trainer and break every previous PR I had as I push myself back toward the #3 again and hopefully double it this time.

Every set is to failure. To give an example on the trainer I did about 10 sets. on the RB260N I do about 8 sets. It is all about feel, I just try to put up enough reps that I know I did my best and then some. I don't want to feel that there were 3 more reps possible when I am done.

What should be happening is your body will adjust to the volume and you will tax muscles that maybe you do not fully utilize on the lower rep work. You are then peaking yourself with the gradual increase in intensity (gripper level) an subsequent decrease in reps. This is a VERY brutal workout and should feel like your hands are on fire most nights. Sometimes I hurt so bad I had to use every ounce of willpower I have to grab the gripper again for another set. My hands have toughened up and I can now fall back to the Trainer and start over and it should actually be easier to do more reps than ever since my skin is now more prepared.

As to overtraining, you will feel like you do it every day. This is my opinion: I think the forearms like the calves can take a lot more punishment and bounce back. I have a real problem with the word overtraining, seems more people are worried about that than undertraining. If people were as cautious about undertraining as they are overtraining there would be a heck of a lot more strong people. You do this type of training to your thighs and you wouldnt be able to walk. Your hands.... They bounce back so fast it isnt even funny.

Example for me:

Trainer 5 on 2 off

#1 5 on 2 off

#2 5 on 2 off

RB240N 5 on 2 off

RB260N 4 on 3 off

Max day #3

Start the whole thing over… Change up to something else.. Modify it. You gotta listen to your own body and work things out. Once thing that ALWAYS seems to work is HARD work. When your eyeballs are popping out, your skin is bleeding and you lose your lunch for the sixth time, your going to get stronger when you rest. Hell if you don't get stronger you will be tougher and I will chose tougher anyday of the week and twice on Sunday... I think a round of KTA after this would yield some tremendous gains since it relies on techniques not even done on this approach (strap holds, overcrushes, Heavy reliance on negatives). The change up to and from different training styles may be the jump start you need to moving back into great gains.

Respectfully,

Greg

i would to say wow. that's hardcore dude. i train my grip during working hours, so i won't lose my lunch time. i guess i'm lucky, but feel the same way and work the same principles as well, in which it goes with my motto.

• 1 year later...

which dave are you referring to.

wonder if i can do this type of workout, along with my sledge hammer workout. because my arms and forearms are improving leaps and bounds, but i havent used the grippers and seems like i am not as strong in them anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
Big Dave Morton! Destroyer of Worlds, Masher of Grippers and Eater of ICE CREAM!

I'm reading more and more that the fellows that can close big grippers are preaching VOLUME. Maybe volume isn't just for hair and Metallica :mosher

It's not the volume - it's the ice cream - it's been proven in double blind, peer reveiwed stories around the water cooler. I mean heck it worked for Dave and the only reason Greg can't close big grippers is he can't eat as much ice cream as Dave does - it's the truth - I swear!

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
Here is a post to allow everybody a chance to critique what it is Dave and I are currently doing and discuss the training in general. Many have asked what were are actually doing, the actual workouts are in my blog. I post almost daily a retarded rambling dialog of an moron (me). As always these are my opinions and I could be wrong.  I set goals, and push myself to do insane things. This may not be smart or work for all, but I pride myself on being mentally tough, and in the end maybe that is all I will be. Fortunatly that is good enough for me. Are other approaches better, possibly. My approach is making changes when what I am doing loses effectiveness. I want to give you background on what we do so you can see some method to our madness. I am not good at grippers and I hate doing them. I only usually do them for a couple of weeks and then give up. I love bending. Grippers and bending are hard to do at the same time because my hands just get so beat down. So I always end up dropping the grippers. Well now I have an injury that I want to get behind me so I have layed off bending for now.

Example for me:

Trainer 5 on 2 off

#1 5 on 2 off

#2 5 on 2 off

RB240N 5 on 2 off

RB260N 4 on 3 off

Max day #3

Respectfully,

Greg

i would to say wow. that's hardcore dude. i train my grip during working hours, so i won't lose my lunch time. i guess i'm lucky, but feel the same way and work the same principles as well, in which it goes with my motto.

So Greg.....does this kind of workout increase your ability to close stronger grippers more like the coc#3 you were talking about?