2013 Gripmas Carol

climber511

The Gripmas Carol will be held again this year. The date is Saturday, December 7th, 2013. Details are still being worked out and I'll post as I finalize things. Just info for those who want to make plans to attend.

• Like 3

The Gripmas Carol will be held again this year. The date is December 8th, 2013. Details are still being worked out and I'll post as I finalize things. Just info for those who want to make plans to attend.

Sorry - it is Saturday Dec 7th

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking at having reverse bending at Gripmas – in order to do that I have to get calibrated stock. In order to do that I have to order it well in advance. All stock will be 6” long. So if you expect to be coming, please post your best expected bend reverse. Example is Blue nail, ¼” x 6” Grade 5 – 6” cut Red nail - whatever. If you have done this in the past and know your poundage number for 6” stick that is even better. Leather Pads with be used – max diameter will be around 1.25” or so – normal double wraps seem to fall around this size I think.

I have a whole bunch of stray calibrated stock from GGC 2007 or 2008 when Paul Knight attended. I would be glad to donate ALL of it to the contest, provided steel maintains its rating (I am not sure). All of this stuff was rated by Eric Milfeld.

Also I changed the date in the first post for you brother.

I have a whole bunch of stray calibrated stock from GGC 2007 or 2008 when Paul Knight attended. I would be glad to donate ALL of it to the contest, provided steel maintains its rating (I am not sure). All of this stuff was rated by Eric Milfeld.

Also I changed the date in the first post for you brother.

Wow - Thanks Jedder - for the steel and for the post help. I can't say for sure but I can't see how steel could change its strength just laying around.

Where is Gripmas held?

It's at my house in Crooksville, Ohio 43731. I'll have an entry form posted before long with all the details.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Chris, what other events are you thinking of running besides 1hp and reverse bending? I am gonna start working a game plan to my training.

Edited by jvance

Chris, what other events are you thinking of running besides 1hp and reverse bending? I am gonna start working a game plan to my training.

I was just typing things up this evening - it will be coming out probably tomorrow.

2013 Gripmas Carol

Date: Saturday - December 7th, 2013

The Yol Bosun Gym

230 Burley St

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Weigh Ins will begin at 8 AM

All NAGS weight classes will be held.

Rules at 9:30

Contest Start Time - 10 AM

Events

1. Ivanko Super Gripper or my Grip Machine using my remote handle. There will be a light system used to denote the actual closed position (if I get it working of course:)).

2. One hand pinch on the David Horne Euro Pinch apparatus - Right Hand

3. One hand pinch on the David Horne Euro Pinch apparatus - Left Hand

Normal NAGS Pinch rules will apply

4. One hand Axle Dead Lift (IronMind Axle). Right hand

5. One hand Axle Dead Lift (IronMind Axle). Left hand

Normal NAGS Rules will apply

Entry Fee is $40 if paid before November 9th - $50 if paid later. There will be the normal Liability Release form to be signed.

Mail Entry to

Chris Rice

230 Burley St

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Name:

Address:

Street:

City:

State:

Zip:

Email:

Gripboard name:

• Like 2

no medley. that's a first. I wonder what effect that will have on the comp running time.

no medley. that's a first. I wonder what effect that will have on the comp running time.

Well it should be a lot quicker I imagine. I'm typing up a few things that I will post later today. It all depends on how many people show up. I would like to have a 6th event and wanted reverse bending but can't find calibrated stock so that's out. A medley is a possibility but if lots of people sign up - I'll stick with the 5 I have now. The medley has always been my favorite event at Gripmas - we'll have to see. I welcome comments on events etc but only from people who plan to attend - not the peanut gallery.

• Like 1

Well it should be a lot quicker I imagine. I'm typing up a few things that I will post later today. It all depends on how many people show up. I would like to have a 6th event and wanted reverse bending but can't find calibrated stock so that's out. A medley is a possibility but if lots of people sign up - I'll stick with the 5 I have now. The medley has always been my favorite event at Gripmas - we'll have to see. I welcome comments on events etc but only from people who plan to attend - not the peanut gallery.

Chris, how about a Dinnie-ring style lift for an event? Best right and left hand rising bar...whadya think?

Edited by jvance

I'd be interested in doing this as my first competition, but don't think I can make it since it's the weekend before my finals. There's always next year!

Chris, how about a Dinnie-ring style lift for an event? Best right and left hand rising bar...whadya think?

Nope. I think lifts like that are often limited by overall body strength. I know absolutely that is the case with me anyway. I can hold onto much more than I can ever lift with my back the way it is - especially right now. Fixed or non rotating handle items like that allow such big weights I no longer see them as grip tests.

• Like 1

Chris, I like the events. I believe it is better to do single-handed lifts such as Axle 1HDL and 1HP than two-handed lifts. I am ordering David Horne's Adjustable Thick Bar this week and will let you know what I think of it as an event vs. Axle 1HDL (think it might be easier to judge as you just hit a standard like the Euro or Grip Topz Penny/Stub).

I'm seriously considering having some contests here; we are getting a good group of grip trainers here and James Retarides has a lot of experience promoting AW, which should help as well.

Have you considered using a choked Vulcan for the gripper event? It looks a lot easier than choking a TSG. On Saturday I am going to try this:

I do not like V Shaped grippers like TSGs - Vulcan etc. The whole setting thing drives me crazy - and the RGC rating system remains unsatisfactory to me. I think real life deals more closely with a parallel handled squeeze test so that's what I am trying to use this year. My work with the ISG has been productive for me and i think with the light system it will work out well. I realize this makes me the odd man out not liking TSGs but it's the way I feel. As in years past Gripmas has always kind of gone its own way and this year is no different.

• Like 2

very true

Nope. I think lifts like that are often limited by overall body strength. I know absolutely that is the case with me anyway. I can hold onto much more than I can ever lift with my back the way it is - especially right now. Fixed or non rotating handle items like that allow such big weights I no longer see them as grip tests.

Chris, for the one hand axle - is it the standard stance with the bar in front of both legs? Or can it be grasped thumb forward with the bar pointing the same direction a Euro pinch pipe would?

Edited by jvance

Jon - you're always one step ahead of me :) Here are the rules we will follow (most from David Horne’s website). The exception will be if we have women who cannot lift the men’s bare pinch setup weights. If that happens I will have a separate Euro with lighter pipe – collars etc for them. If you are a male you will have to use the men’s regular setup which will vary by width between 50# and 60# approximately. A few other things are

• There will be time given before the contest to become familiar with my Ivanko Super Gripper or the Grip Machine setup settings or weights – whichever we use. I am favoring the ISG simply because my grip machine is a one of a kind and nobody would be familiar with it – I do want people to play around with it and offer their opinions though. There are many ISGs out there and they can be purchased as well if you want one to train with.
  • There will no warm ups on the actual competition Pinch and Axle apparatus – this has been a real time sink problem in the past. There will be a separate warm up pinch and Axle.
  • If attendance is low – I may have a 6th event – if so it will likely be a Medley. If I can find someone to calibrate some bending stock – I will have Reverse Bending (first choice for a sixth). This will be announced as far in advance as possible. If Reverse Bending is an event – you can use leather wraps up to 1 ¼” when wrapped.

Ivanko Super Gripper

The handles will be marked as to legal hand position. There will no “setting” of any kind allowed. I have a chart of spring positions and poundage that will be used for scoring purposes. I will make no attempt to verify those numbers. Place your hand on the gripper within the marks – squeeze the gripper – if the light comes on it is a good lift – if not it’s not. Only one hand will be contested and you must use the same hand for all attempts. 4 attempts and NOT rising bar. I don’t feel any records except for Gripmas Records can be set on this as all springs will vary as we have seen on TSGs.

One Hand Pinch Lift

This is the same as the two hands version, except it is with one hand. The loading bar can and no doubt will hit your leg at some point, this is fine. The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal bar placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the bar to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the bar before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Additional equipment rules:

1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh the same (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear).

2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves.

3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length.

4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifter’s hands is not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

One Hand Deadlift using a 2" thick barbell

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

• Like 3

Signed up so far

Bob Sundin

Brandon and I are in todays mail.

I better get busy - Brandon is getting strong!

Brandon and I are in todays mail.

I better get busy - Brandon is getting strong!

Yes he is. Pulled 325 easily on the axle and then had the blob hoovering, both PRs for him.

• Like 1