Wrapping Questions

Tim71

Okay I've been bending for a long time off and on but had never really concentrated on unbraced and whenever I did, my wrapping was never the best.

Currently, I'm concentrating on IMP bending but want to try to see what I can max out with when I use some really good pads. Plus when my hands are fried from my IMPs, I'd like to get some more heavy bends with the most beneficial wraps.

In order to bend the very best steel you can with heavier leather pads, what kind of leather do you use? How thick do you wrap it?

Any perhaps my most important question, how much of the nail or bar is in the pads? I've seen some of the vids with the bars really up high and know that I'm not executing that style the best so I want to work on it. I want to start working on some longer 8 inch bars as well.

For IMP bending, I had the bar exactly 2" in. When I used the thicker BBW's (thicker cordura) it was maybe like 1.9" For Doubles, 1.5". The length of the bar didn't make any difference to me as to how far I put the steel in the pad, it was always based on the wraps. Everyone is different though. I know Carl put his IMP's at 1.75" and I hear JT was way out on the bar.

Personally, I don't have a ton of experience in doubles, and I was mid-level at best, but for doubles I really liked IMP's on the inside and a standard 10 x 4" piece of leather as the outer wrap. The leather gave you a great grip and some pliability to get into position, and when you took them off for the crush, the IMP's are really firm and transfer force into the steel better than leather.

• Like 1

FBBC sells good leather wraps cut up in perfect lengths IMO.

I used IMPs and one layer of FBBC leather on top of that.

I'd guess that makes the wrapping 3,5-4 centimeters thick.

David Wigren is one of the guys that should be answering this.

He helped me get the red nail in no time with his awsome tips!

I say stick with the imps. IMPs will make your skin, bones and tendons tough. It hurts, a lot but worth in IMO. Then you slap some doubles on or 1.25" and you notice a huge difference. You are actually able to use the toughness the IMPs gave you. What's the point of having the strength if you're not tough enough to utilize it?

I always wrapped 1.75-1.5" then Wrapped my bare index finger over the steel. That always felt "right" to me. Plus I like the pain. I wrapped all the bars this way. Wether I was using IMPs or doubles, 6-8" stock. All the same way.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

I say stick with the imps. IMPs will make your skin, bones and tendons tough. It hurts, a lot but worth in IMO. Then you slap some doubles on or 1.25" and you notice a huge difference. You are actually able to use the toughness the IMPs gave you. What's the point of having the strength if you're not tough enough to utilize it?I always wrapped 1.75-1.5" then Wrapped my bare index finger over the steel. That always felt "right" to me. Plus I like the pain. I wrapped all the bars this way. Wether I was using IMPs or doubles, 6-8" stock. All the same way.

I did almost all my big bends

in Imp singles, They make you one with the steel for sure

and condition your hands like none other.

I do most of my bending in IMPs as I said.

I've been bending for years now but I've never had the experience of bending in the presence of another experienced bender so I've sorta went on my own. I'm just trying to figure out the different styles I see people doing with especially the 8 inch bars.

Thanks

I like the david horne wraps the best from what I have tried. I have used the fbbc wraps and the steel benders wraps. For me it goes DH wraps>Fbbc>BBW. I hated the steel bender wraps to be honest. The DH wraps are light and easy to wrap with.

The biggest steel ever is bent with thick leather wraps though

If I were chasing the biggest steel and could bend DO well I would use this type of leather

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/cowhide/9157-94.aspx

5/64" thick

That's too thick. It actually won't be able to "bite" into the steel and you'll never get a tight wrap.

• 3 weeks later...

does any one have mikes krahlings email for BB wraps?

EJ Lively proble does.