Weights On Craigslist

Justin Matney

Just got through negotiating with a guy on craigslist on some olympic weights, and I just wanted to see if you guys think $400 is a reasonable price.

-Weider 565 rack: didn't really want this rack, but he was unwilling to part out the weights and bars only

-555 lbs olympic weights (weider grip plates)

-45 lb olympic bar

-olympic ez curl bar

-350 lb standard weights

-2 standard bars

-standard dumbbells with collars

-weight tree

The 555 lb of olympic weights is why I'm interested, and realistically that rack will be fine for me. It's not like I'm going to be breaking world records in my garage. And even then I see the deal as something where I can upgrade the rack and bar, and keep the weights if need be in the future.

So, 905 lb total weight between olympic and standard. Do you guys think $400 is a good price to pay for all this?

sick deal bro ! you can usually figure about $1 per pound so thats sweet enjoy !

If you're done negotiating with him that leads me to believe you bought them already. If you think it's a good deal then buy it, I would.

Haven't paid for them yet, but we verbally agreed on 400.

I wouldn't do that deal. If I have $400 to work with, I would take $250 and get a quality barbell, this is the most important. I have owned cheap barbell before when I first started out and they bend and fall apart, sometimes while you're lifting. Then take the rest of the money you have left and buy weights on craigslist from someone you can get a good deal off of

Yeah either way I'll definitely upgrade the bar soon. I'd say once I get my form back where it needs to be, I'll get a rogue bar of some sort.

That's a lot of olympic weight to pass up, which is the only thing keeping me interested in the deal.

• Like 1

I figure with a bar, I'll have 600 lb of olympic weights to work with. I don't foresee ever reaching or surpassing 600 lb on any lift, so it's probably all the weight I'll ever need. That's not to mention the 350 lb of standard weights I can use for dumbbell stuff. My biggest issue is with the rack, but even then if I can get a year or 2 out of it then upgrade, it might be worth it.

Or hell, just scrap the weider rack and get something solid. Then I'd be set for a long time. I have a lot more than $400 I'm willing to put into the whole setup btw. I just didn't want to pay more than 400 for this particular set knowing it wasn't the rack I wanted.

Yeah, it's all about what you want to do at the moment. To me weight seems like it's the easiest thing to get off of craigslist, you could find some one selling 45's here and there and piece the weights together as you go. Then you could use the bulk of your money for a nice bar and rack, then again, there's nothing wrong with making a squat stand out of 2x4's and two buckets filed with concrete, that will do the job until your ready to make a bigger purchase.

If it was me I would skip it. I don't care for the weider grip plates, and like would bend a bar that came with that set the first time I used it. Even in my weak starting over condition. Same for any rack with a Weider name on it. Likely 300# max capacity, stated or otherwise.

I would start with decent bar and just add plates as needed via craigslist or Play it again sports, etc. If you don't really want the rack then save up for what you were wanting. Alot of my stuff is was purchased used initially or made. Except for my Bumpers, Axle, and Eleiko comp plates. Most of my plates were bought used, as well as an old York Oly lifting Bar I managed to snag at PIA sports. Bench and adjustable squat stands were made by me as was plate tree, and most of my other specialty grip stuff.

If this is the stuff you want then get it, if it is not exactly what you had in mind then it is your decision to make due or not.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Why didn't you like the grip plates?

Yeah I figured that was the main drawback. I'm not really concerned with that now. Still striving for #3.

Yeah I figured that was the main drawback. I'm not really concerned with that now. Still striving for #3.

Cool, as far as anything else on those I don't know much about them. Can't tell you how close to nominal poundage they typically are or whether they will fit on 2" tubing, (ie homemade axle), etc. I think also I might be a bit of a Weider snob come to think of it too.

Good luck on your #3 close.

Thanks Aaron. And thanks everyone for your help.

http://www.jesupgym.com/products.php?cid=12

$170 for their 1500 pound test bar. I have it, awesome bar.

6 years ago I got 14-45s, 6-35s, 6-25s, 8-10s, 8-5s, 6-2.5s for $300 on craigslist. Dude lived in a trailer in the sticks and had a huge pole barn full of weights, bars, mschines, etc. It was crazy.

Dude was wanting $2/lb at first. I was like....they're $1/lb new.

I live in a smaller town so opportunities are quite limited. Trying to decide whether to go for it and have the weight now or wait for a better deal. I'm not on a shoestring budget by any means, just kinda chomping at the bit to get back at it.

I'm about to snag 550 lb of olympic plates for about 27 cents a pound, and maybe a squat rack for an additional hundo.

• Like 1

I'm about to snag 550 lb of olympic plates for about 27 cents a pound, and maybe a squat rack for an additional hundo.

nice

Eh, it fell thru.

I think I'm going to take everyone's advice and just invest in the essentials that I want, quality bar and rack, then accumulate weight as I can find it. With most of these craigslist deals they're wanting to sell all their other crap (Total Gyms, Ab Rollers, etc) along with it and they're basically wanting to break even.

• Like 1

Just called the nearest Play it Again Sports, and they sell used weight for .59/lb. Higher than I'd pay on craigslist, but I'll get exactly what I want.

Edited by jmatney

Just snagged an incredible deal on craigslist today. The exact power rack I was looking for, a bench, 300lbs olympic weight set (the kind you can pinch/hub), 2 olympic dumbbell handles, 2 standard dumbbell handles, a few hundred lbs of standard weight, and a weight tree.

$300 for the whole setup.

Its not brand new and shiny, there is some rust on some of the plates, it needs cleaned up, and I'll eventually upgrade the bar and get more weights. But it's all I'm going to need for several months.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Patience paid off.

• Like 1