New York Grip Throw Down Ii

Chez

Looks like it'll be a fantastic comp Chez! I really like the events you are running. Good luck!

Super late responding since I have been on the road. Thanks Sean! Too bad you live so far away because it would be great to meet you.

Chez,

Forgot to say thanks for putting this on and the lift.

This will be my first grip event I ever attended.

S/F,

CEYA!

You're welcome. I always look forward to meeting fellow gripsters. Especially ones in the tri-state area. I have worked really hard to build up grip in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Undated Paid List:

Kevin Collen

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Christopher Andrade

Amber Edwards

John Manna

Andrew O'Leary

Chez (I guess I should put my name for completeness of the lineup)

Brian Burgos

Frank DeLuca

Frank Haak

Mike Sharkey

Sponsors:

Christopher andrade

Cesare Ricchezza (Chez)

• Like 1

Undated Paid List:

Kevin Collen

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Christopher Andrade

Amber Edwards

John Manna

Andrew O'Leary

Brian Burgos

Frank DeLuca

Frank Haak

Mike Sharkey

Sponsors:

Christopher andrade

Cesare Ricchezza (Chez)

It's time...time to Shine.

Glad to see you stepping in the ring my friend.

I'm going on a cruise for a week tomorrow so I won't be active on the board in case anyone posts questions in this thread. I'm late getting the entry form posted but I'll get it up when I get back. Its not a big deal anyway. Everyone can just bring it comp day and I will have extras printed in case anyone forgets.

Undated Paid List:

Kevin Collen

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Christopher Andrade

Amber Edwards

John Manna

Andrew O'Leary

Brian Burgos

Frank DeLuca

Frank Haak

Mike Sharkey

Sponsors:

Christopher andrade

Cesare Ricchezza (Chez)

It's time...time to Shine.

Glad to see you stepping in the ring my friend.

Thanks Nate lol. I hope to do respectably on 2 out of the 4 events anyway :blink

• Like 1

I'm really glad you are competing Mike. Should be a blast. Thrilled with this turn out. I know several more who have verbally confirmed but haven't paid yet.

• Like 2

Undated Paid List:

Kevin Collen

Anthony Clarino

Nathaniel Brous

Christopher Andrade

Amber Edwards

John Manna

Andrew O'Leary

Brian Burgos

Frank DeLuca

Frank Haak

Mike Sharkey

Carl Donati Jr.

Sponsors:

Christopher andrade

Cesare Ricchezza (Chez)

whats a 12lb hammer coin deadlift pardon my ignorance

Taken from http://www.gripsport.org/rules.htm ...

The Choke: 12-lb Sledge Hammer Coin Deadlift (head to front)

Sledge Hammer Specs: An unmodified 12 lb wooden handled sledgehammer is to be used. No tape is allowed on the handle. The handle will be marked with inch increments from the bottom of the head towards the end of the handle with lines no thicker than ¼” designating those increments.

Platform Specs: The platform height is precisely 18”. It must be level and rigid.

Set-up / Positioning: The sledgehammer will be laid on the floor with a quarter placed on head in the upright position. The lifter may position the sledge on the floor per their preferences, ie, orientation to the platform. The lifter will ensure the quarter is squarely placed on the hammer’s head before grasping the handle. When grasping the handle they will pick an inch increment to place their hand behind. That inch will be their score for that lift.

Execution: The lifter will use one hand to lift the hammer onto the platform without the quarter falling off the head. If the quarter falls off before the head is placed on the platform it will be a no lift. Other than the lifting hand, no other part of the sledge may come in contact with the body or nearby object. The head may, however, bump into the platform top if deemed not for the purpose of cheating the lift. If a part of the body inadvertently touches the sledge, a foul is called and the lifter may re-grip. A second foul constitutes the loss of a turn. The increment line must be visible in front of the lifter’s hand. The hand may cover some of the line but the judge must be able to see the line throughout the lift. If the line goes out of the judge’s sight, there will be one warning for the offense. A second foul will result with a no lift. This ensures no cheating too forward of the inch’s line.

Other Points: The free hand must remain free of any part of the sledge, platform, and quarter during the lift.

Scoring: The weight lifted to be scored is actually the inches grasped away from the hammer’s head. E.g., 17” is a score of 17. This is a best out of 4 attempts event with a non-rising bar format. Since the hammer weight is a constant, the level of difficulty is the inches.

Grip Aids: Chalk is allowed but no stickum, tacky, tape, or gloves etc are allowed.

Thanks for answering that question Nate. I have been away on vacation.

• Like 1

Hey there Chez, I just realized that this weekend is the same weekend as my parents' birthday party, so I will not be able to make it my man.

It stinks, because it is so darn close and easy to get to - I was really interested in going.

I wish everybody well at the contest. Hit lots of PR's!

Jedd

• Like 1

Hey there Chez, I just realized that this weekend is the same weekend as my parents' birthday party, so I will not be able to make it my man.

It stinks, because it is so darn close and easy to get to - I was really interested in going.

Jedd

You will be missed bud. I know stuff comes up. Maybe next year. At least I will have a chance to win my own competition without you there :laugh

We are almost one month away. Here is the entry form. You can cut an paste it into a word processor, print it and fill it out. You can either bring it Comp day, scan and email it to cricchezza@hotmail.com, or mail it to: Cesare Ricchezza, 21 Summit Road, Katonah NY, 10536. I will also print out extras for people who want to fill it out first thing on comp day.

New York Grip Throw Down II

ENTRY FORM

In consideration of my acceptance of this entry, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, and my assignees, waive and release all rights and damages I may have against Cesare Ricchezza, Andrew O'Leary, any and all sponsors/suppliers, equipment donors, the officials, volunteers, employees, their representatives and assigns, for any and all injuries incurred to me in conjunction with this competition and in traveling to and from the event. And in further consideration of permission being granted to me to participate in the New York Grip Throw Down II and its related events, I hereby grant Cesare Ricchezza, Andrew O'Leary and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization and all of their agents, successors, licensees and assigns, the right to photograph or otherwise reproduce (whether by film, tape, still photography or otherwise) my voice, appearance and name, and to exhibit, distribute, transmit, and/or otherwise exploit any and all media, including without limitation, by means of still photography, motion pictures, radio, television, television motion pictures, video, printing or any other medium now known or hereafter devised, including with respect also to any merchandising, advertising and/or publicity, and the right to use my name and information about me in any connection with any of the foregoing. The rights granted by me hereunder are granted for the entire universe and shall endure in perpetuity and no further compensation shall be payable to me at anytime in connection therewith. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to obligate Cesare Ricchezza, Andrew O'Leary and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization, to photograph or otherwise reproduce my voice, appearance or name, or to make use of any rights granted herein. I also understand that the aforementioned rights may be reassigned at any time without further consent. I understand that Cesare Ricchezza, Andrew O'Leary and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization, are videotaping and photographing the event in express reliance upon the foregoing, and I represent and agree that I am free to grant the rights granted to Cesare Ricchezza, Andrew O'Leary and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization hereunder. Therefore I affix my signature below:

NAME:_______________________________________________

ADDRESS:______________________________________

CITY:___________________________________________

STATE:__________________________ ZIP:____________

PHONE:____________________________

EMAIL:_____________________________

SIGNATURE:__________________________________________
(PARENT OR GUARDIAN SIGNATURE IF UNDER 18)

This looks like a lot of fun. If it was closer than 300miles and 6hrs away from me, I'd show up for sure. Probably not compete, but definately be a spectator

Good luck to all. Post videos.

• Like 1

Chez I am considering going to this despite Jedd not being able to...my only thought/concern is about the 12# sledge choke. I have performed the sledge choke from the end on a 14#...in a case the 12# is not heavy enough what would then happen?

Jedd

You will be missed bud. I know stuff comes up. Maybe next year. At least I will have a chance to win my own competition without you there :laugh

If it were a different day, I'd be there. The date of the party has changed a couple times, but looks pretty concrete now.

I see you are running the King Kong again this year. Hopefully I can get up there for that.

Thanks.

Also, if you guys need to borrow my 14, you are welcome, as well as any other equipment I have that you could use for the comp - grippers to fill spaces, etc. Second pieces for warmups, etc. Just let me know.

• Like 1

I just want to remind everyone involved of the rules of the sledge choke, as far as execution is concerned.

"The lifter will use one hand to lift the hammer onto the platform without the quarter falling off the head. If the quarter falls off before the head is placed on the platform it will be a no lift. Other than the lifting hand, no other part of the sledge may come in contact with the body or nearby object."

The rules state nothing as far as wrist angle. From the beginning of the use of this event in grip contests, there was NEVER a rule saying the hammer had to remain level or that the wrist is not permitted to go into either position of deviation.

• Like 1

Chez I am considering going to this despite Jedd not being able to...my only thought/concern is about the 12# sledge choke. I have performed the sledge choke from the end on a 14#...in a case the 12# is not heavy enough what would then happen?

LR2_zps2b90ebec.jpg

• Like 4

I was at work all day and saw all the posts. I have decided to modify the rules of the sledge choke at my competition. I'm still brainstorming, but I'm changing the rules to allow for less tilt. This is just my personal preference and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm doing this because I envisioned the event being done the hammer fairly parallel to the ground and that is what I'm looking for at my competition. I'm not saying that one way is better than another. I do not want anyone arguing in this thread about the rules. That has already been discussed in other threads. Promoters are allowed to create the rules for events at their comps and that is what I am doing. The rules really don't matter as long as they are the same for everyone. The person who is the strongest will win regardless of the rules.

Since I'm altering the rules, the sledge lifts will most likely not count for the top 50 NAGS list. In the meantime, if you want to train for the event just practice with the sledge fairly parallel to the ground. Obviously some tilt will be allowed.

I have also been informed that the rolling thunder is no longer recognized by NAGS so the lifts for that event are longer being tracked for the top 50 list. This change occurred after I had already chosen the event. I Just wanted to give everyone the heads up. Again, I don't want anyone arguing in this thread. It is what it is.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

This looks like a lot of fun. If it was closer than 300miles and 6hrs away from me, I'd show up for sure. Probably not compete, but definately be a spectator

Thanks EJ. You're one of the strongest DO benders of all time and your grip looks dam impressive (especially for a guy who doesn't even focus on grip). Hope we get a chance to meet one day.

Thanks EJ. You're one of the strongest DO benders of all time and your grip looks dam impressive (especially for a guy who doesn't even focus on grip). Hope we get a chance to meet one day.

I think we will meet in the future, it would be a lot of fun. I'd like to finally meet the grip monster know as Chez.