Need Help Gaining Mass

GotAGrip

I think the pure glucose would work if taken right before bedtime. Not so much on the fructose. The Carb backloading book is not free but I don't remember it being that much. You would have to tailor somewhat to fit your own diet limitations. For instance the pre bedtime carbs they recommend are basically high sugar junk food to get a sharp quickly fleeting insulin spike right after you go to sleep. You could use the straight glucose I think. Once this spike is done during your sleep cycle you release growth hormone til you wake. Only really works if you keep your carbs low throughout the day until at least dinner time later though.

The main reason I don't recommend alot of high tension Iso work for you is those are fairly demanding on your CNS. Not to mention pretty tough metabolically on the muscles as well. The CNS is obviously gonna take longer to recover than the muscles though and if you are doing fairly demanding CNS work nearly every day that is a quick recipe for overtraining even in a healthy individual.

- Aaron

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it's appreciated.

I thought that glucose raised insulin, which in turn pushed growth hormone down? (seeing as only one hormone can be high at a time). I used to have glucose (along with my first meal) after my morning squats but stopped it for this reason...

Have I got this wrong? I take glutamine as soon as I wake up because I know this releases growth hormone a lot, and it's also great for the stomach.

I think the pure glucose would work if taken right before bedtime. Not so much on the fructose. The Carb backloading book is not free but I don't remember it being that much. You would have to tailor somewhat to fit your own diet limitations. For instance the pre bedtime carbs they recommend are basically high sugar junk food to get a sharp quickly fleeting insulin spike right after you go to sleep. You could use the straight glucose I think. Once this spike is done during your sleep cycle you release growth hormone til you wake. Only really works if you keep your carbs low throughout the day until at least dinner time later though.

The main reason I don't recommend alot of high tension Iso work for you is those are fairly demanding on your CNS. Not to mention pretty tough metabolically on the muscles as well. The CNS is obviously gonna take longer to recover than the muscles though and if you are doing fairly demanding CNS work nearly every day that is a quick recipe for overtraining even in a healthy individual.

- Aaron

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it's appreciated.

I thought that glucose raised insulin, which in turn pushed growth hormone down? (seeing as only one hormone can be high at a time). I used to have glucose (along with my first meal) after my morning squats but stopped it for this reason...

Have I got this wrong? I take glutamine as soon as I wake up because I know this releases growth hormone a lot, and it's also great for the stomach.

i have not read the book but blood glucose releases insulin like growth factor which is very anabolic. think of white rice as straight glucose. low in anti nutrients and a good carb source. also, if sweet potatoes don't flare your UC, don't worry about them hurting your liver. high fructose corn syrup and fructose from sweet potatoes are 2 very different animals. add as much whole food carbs as you can tolerate. increasing my carbs has really helped me put on mass and strength.

• Like 1

Lifting heavy all the time is not going to increase your mass. If muscle SIZE is really your primary goal, stop lifting so heavy and start doing more work. Volume is key, lots of reps, lots of sets.

Some of the biggest steriod free mass monsters I know do 1000 dips, pull-ups, push-ups, bodyweight squats, and sit-ups every day. They don't lift a single weight. These same monsters can lay down on a flat bench and hammer out 315 for sets of 10 if you want to lay a bet down on them.

Volume works. Maybe if you stop training heavy, stop the isometrics, and focus on time under tension, you will reach your size goals without compromising your health.

By the way, my mom has a severe intestinal disease as well and it is hell on her. I understand your pain.

• Like 2

Lifting heavy all the time is not going to increase your mass. If muscle SIZE is really your primary goal, stop lifting so heavy and start doing more work. Volume is key, lots of reps, lots of sets.

Some of the biggest steriod free mass monsters I know do 1000 dips, pull-ups, push-ups, bodyweight squats, and sit-ups every day. They don't lift a single weight. These same monsters can lay down on a flat bench and hammer out 315 for sets of 10 if you want to lay a bet down on them.

Volume works. Maybe if you stop training heavy, stop the isometrics, and focus on time under tension, you will reach your size goals without compromising your health.

By the way, my mom has a severe intestinal disease as well and it is hell on her. I understand your pain.

Something is wrong with my subscriptions and it didn't notify me of your post.

Great post, and thank you.

Guest Squat More

Squat 3x a week, use the 5/3/1 full body template where you do a squat, a push, and a pull in the same day. If you own the second edition of 531 it is laid out nice and simple.

• Like 1

Sure. Remember, most of the old timers who still have amazing physiques today, say if they could change one thing about their training it would be going back and doing more reps and less weight. The heavy weight over time just beats the hell out of a normal lifter. Throw in your health issues and it is that much worse. Do some research on Frank Zane. He is a good example.

I remember when I was in college there was always a guy in the weight room, young 20s, that was just huge, natural, but huge. I would see him curling the 25s and I would ask him how the hell he got so big lifting junior high weights. He then said he does sets of 100 with the 25 pound dbs and I walked away laughing, thinking he was an idiot. He had HUGE arms, biggest peak of a bicep I have ever seen in person. And he was that big and cut all over. And, I imagine he doesnt have much in the way of joint pain compared to those of us who lifted as heavy as we could...

Sure. Remember, most of the old timers who still have amazing physiques today, say if they could change one thing about their training it would be going back and doing more reps and less weight. The heavy weight over time just beats the hell out of a normal lifter. Throw in your health issues and it is that much worse. Do some research on Frank Zane. He is a good example.

I remember when I was in college there was always a guy in the weight room, young 20s, that was just huge, natural, but huge. I would see him curling the 25s and I would ask him how the hell he got so big lifting junior high weights. He then said he does sets of 100 with the 25 pound dbs and I walked away laughing, thinking he was an idiot. He had HUGE arms, biggest peak of a bicep I have ever seen in person. And he was that big and cut all over. And, I imagine he doesnt have much in the way of joint pain compared to those of us who lifted as heavy as we could...

When I was younger I was that idiot in the gym trying to curl the biggest weight on the rack lol.

It's definitely hard to lift lighter weights after hearing the "lift heavy to get big" mantra for so long. I will check out Frank Zane, i've heard of him before but don't think I know anything about him. Must... put... down... my.... eagle!!!

No wait, I mean ego.

Okay, I am getting a bit pis*ed off now lol.

Basically I have been eating way over maintenance lately and lifting really heavy (which is more of a big deal for me because training spikes my M.E and messes me up) - I have not changed the style of my diet, I always eat low carbs because carbs make me really ill, I only eat enough to keep glycogen slightly filled.

In theory, I should've gained at least 2lbs of muscle since I last weighed myself as I have definitely been eating and training right - but instead I have LOST a 1lb lol. I have no idea what is happening, I know I haven't lost water weight because I never carry much water because of the low carb aspect.

I have been stuck at the same puny weight for about a year goddamnit :|

And I know that more carbs would make this journey a lot easier - but I can't budge on that, carbs are a no-no for me, they feed pathogens and keeping them low is what keeps Ulcerative Colitis off my back.

I still should've at least moved up slightly, even if water weight DID drop slightly.

Haha that happens man. You just have to keep on it... Your body needs to get used to idea that you want it to grow and put on mass before it actually will.

• Like 1

Haha that happens man. You just have to keep on it... Your body needs to get used to idea that you want it to grow and put on mass before it actually will.

I've been ill though, im like 5ft4 and only weigh 112lbs - now I am in a position where I can train and eat heavy, surely my weight should pile on? I understand hitting plateaus, but how can I hit a plateau when I am so scrawny? lol

Yesterday I hit a PB and deadlifted 374lbs - how is that even possible with the tiny build I have? I got the strength going through the roof, but my body remains as girly as my girly little hands.

*cries* (like a GIRL)

• Like 1

Damnnn dude that is a huge deadlift for your size!

I know right? I just don't want to LOOK like such a sissy.

My shoulder press is the only thing that really reflects my puny stature - I am AWFUL at it still.

I am really paying today for lifting heavy with my deadlift, can barely move (although, no DOMS) I just wish it felt like I was getting somewhere for all the pain I endure lol

Edited by GotAGrip

Remember strength and mass are 2 different things. If one = the other, then the 90 pound female chinese weight lifters wouldnt be putting 300 pounds overhead!

Chose one or the other, unless you are a genetic freak or have help from the pharmacy, you arent going to be able to train for both.

Technique and speed can move big weights, mass doesnt have a thing to do with it. In order to build muscle you must overload it with time under tension. Volume is key. Hauling up singles in the deadlift wont do much for your size. Instead, train 2-3 times a week and use a much lighter weight and go until you physically cannot lift the weight for another rep. Rest for 10 seconds or so, go again. Rest 10 more seconds, go a third time, then move on to the next muscle.

• Like 1

Truth.

Mass and strength are not correlated. They just exist together sometimes. Haha. I'm strong from my training; I'm 6'5 and 220 from my genetics.

But it doesn't mean you can't/won't be big and strong. It's just that there is nothing wrong with being wirey and strong. You'll get there man, just keep working hard.

I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but I switched over to eating a primal type diet, and when I went to put some size on I added a lot of squash to my diet, which is a source for carbs that a lot of people overlook. They're pretty cheap and come in a huge variety depending on the season. Not sure if they'll work out with your conditions, but it could be worth looking into.

I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but I switched over to eating a primal type diet, and when I went to put some size on I added a lot of squash to my diet, which is a source for carbs that a lot of people overlook. They're pretty cheap and come in a huge variety depending on the season. Not sure if they'll work out with your conditions, but it could be worth looking into.

Is squash high in fructose rather than glucose though? Fructose causes me a lot of problems. I guess I could include it along with the potatoes though.

The thing is, I don't want to be huge, I like being small because I have speed and find it easy to do gymnastic style movements. I just don't want to be boney and wanted some weight behind me for pushing/pulling objects that I may face in the real world, such as pushing a car up hill.

I got my deadlifts up really high by choosing my goal weight and doing 10 second attempts at lifting it, every other day. Eventually because of the isometric-style movement, I got the weight up. The problem is, my tendons and bones got strong but the nature of isometrics allowed me to stay the size of salma hayek lol

Correlating all your information, I have decided to increase reps and to decrease the amount of exercises I perform. I will add some other isolation exercises if I get time but I will focus on the big lifts and hit my limit each time. Some days I won't get much done because of my limited mitochondrial output.

Hopefully the weekends off will prevent any overtraining. I believe I can hit my legs pretty often without overtraining, they are used to daily squats.

I was thinking of finding my 10 rep max and then performing as many reps as I can within a set time, and then trying to beat the amount the following workout - resting as little as possible each time I fail to lift. That should solve my problem of not having enough weights,

Squats, Deadlifts and Shoulder Press... would these 3 exercises cover all bases?

e.g.

Mon: Squats and Shoulder Press

Tue: Squats

Wed: Deadlifts and Shoulder Press

Thu: Squats

Fri: Squats and Shoulder Press

Sat and Sun: Rest (kinda)

Overkill? Remember, I won't be going mad with every workout because I am not able-bodied some days :)

I use a 2" thick rotating bar for these exercises which is huge for my hands, so that should cover my grip - will also throw in some daily grip training in the evening while watching Simpsons lmao.

I have turned into a newbie, after training since the age of 14. Damn my Dementia lol.

Edited by GotAGrip

To answer your question, yes it covers all bases.

The other question: yes I still think it's a bit much.

Try this: Two workouts.

A) Military Press and Deadlift

B) push press and Squats.

Do one every other day and rotate them, three times a week... Like A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday, B Monday etc. If your bored on your "off" days", then do your grip stuff then :) the point Is built in rest. Rest builds muscle.

Now I am confused. The titleof this thread is you need help gaining mass, then you say you like being small?? So which is it?

If you want to stay small but get more powerful, do explosive lifts and plyos. Being 112 pounds and an adult, there is no way you will ever have to worry about being a "mass monster".

I personally think squatting 3 times a week is going to destroy you, but give it a go.

Personally I would do a strength/power/mass set-up 3 times a week if this is how you are hell bent on setting it up.

Day 1- squat for strength, overhead for power, deadlift for reps

Day 2- Overhead for stength, deadlift for power, squats for reps

Day 3- Deadlift for strength, squat for power, overhead for reps.

Any assistance work would be pull-ups, dips, back ext, and hamstring work.

Now I am confused. The titleof this thread is you need help gaining mass, then you say you like being small?? So which is it?

If you want to stay small but get more powerful, do explosive lifts and plyos. Being 112 pounds and an adult, there is no way you will ever have to worry about being a "mass monster".

I personally think squatting 3 times a week is going to destroy you, but give it a go.

Personally I would do a strength/power/mass set-up 3 times a week if this is how you are hell bent on setting it up.

Day 1- squat for strength, overhead for power, deadlift for reps

Day 2- Overhead for stength, deadlift for power, squats for reps

Day 3- Deadlift for strength, squat for power, overhead for reps.

Any assistance work would be pull-ups, dips, back ext, and hamstring work.

I want to gain mass, but I don't want it for "the look of it" if you know what I mean. I would like to put on about 20lbs of muscle... just enough to stop my clavicle showing so much and to have some weight behind me if I ever got in a situation where I needed it. I want my muscle to stay functional.

Basically, I want an average amount of mass - right now I am considered scrawny, despite my strength

• 2 weeks later...

Is squash high in fructose rather than glucose though? Fructose causes me a lot of problems. I guess I could include it along with the potatoes though.

The thing is, I don't want to be huge, I like being small because I have speed and find it easy to do gymnastic style movements. I just don't want to be boney and wanted some weight behind me for pushing/pulling objects that I may face in the real world, such as pushing a car up hill.

I got my deadlifts up really high by choosing my goal weight and doing 10 second attempts at lifting it, every other day. Eventually because of the isometric-style movement, I got the weight up. The problem is, my tendons and bones got strong but the nature of isometrics allowed me to stay the size of salma hayek lol

Most (if not all) squash consist of mainly starches as the predominant carb source even the pumpkin type squash, what this means is that the carbs found in squash are mainly a polymer of glucose units (that's starch) and are broken down to glucose, many have no fructose and the ones that do it is so little it doesn't even factor in.

I noticed earlier you mentioned carbs and insulin response, remember BCAAs and protein also create a strong insulin response and amino acid sensitivity is raised for 24+ hours after a training bout (45g of whey by it's self causes insulin levels to spike to elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown for several hours) , It all fits into a bigger picture disproving the lore that you need to down a shake right after training or need a ton of carbs PW (unless you truly are depleted and plan on doing an endurance event later the same day but most lifting routines don't fully deplete those lifting for strength or size and de novo glucogenesis will take care of glyco replenishment from aminos if you aren't in a hurry to go running)

When it comes to putting on size (or losing it) it's an energy balance issue, eat more than you expend, keep your protein high enough to repair the damage done (make it easy and eat atleast a gram for every pound of your target weight meaning if you are 160lbs now and want to be 180lbs eat atleast 180g). Most people try to micro manage diet and don't realize how long the body takes to digest a full meal (you're looking at 6 hours or more for most meals). The other key to growth and alot of the guys here touched on this, do enough damage to grow without doing so much that you kill recovery time. We grow when we are resting.

Now normally I'm not one to tell someone to avoid carbs as they can be highly beneficial to performance but given your somewhat odd health concerns and my lack of having your medical records I would say stick to your starchy carbs and do what works for you just do more of it.

• Like 1

This thread is to much , how about paying a dietitian to build you a eating plan. Get a personal trainer once a week to help you check your goals. You are micro managing tomuch it will burn you out.