New Rule Going Forward - Starting With The Next New Certs

Bill Piche

"17. The athlete has 24 hours to make the certification attempt after the gripper arrives. Failure to do so forfeits the certification attempt. "

This rule goes into effect for those certs going forward that are not in process already.

Thanks everyone.

"17. The athlete has 24 hours to make the certification attempt after the gripper arrives. Failure to do so forfeits the certification attempt. "

This rule goes into effect for those certs going forward that are not in process already.

Thanks everyone.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all, and I understand where you're coming from, but 24 hours seems awfully strict. With the USPS it's hard to say exactly what day the gripper might show up. A 2 - 3 day window might be easier for people with busy schedules.

Fair enough comment. I've expanded it to 48 hrs.

Obviously, if there was a personal issue come up where someone just could not do it within this time period, we'd make an exception. However, this has not come up in over the 6 years we've had Mash Monster certs.

• 1 month later...
With the USPS it's hard to say exactly what day the gripper might show up. A 2 - 3 day window might be easier for people with busy schedules.

I should know, I'm in the shipping biz and you have no idea when something will get somewhere, even if you were shipping it across the street! Be willing to "bend" this rule somewhat, Wanna. Just sayin'.... :D

Shipping time isn't really the issue. The rule addition is for what happens after receipt of the gripper.

In waiting for their turn, many people have requested to be bumped because they are not ready. This is fine. The timing can be tough to be "on" for weeks while you wait.

But, when a member accepts receipt of the gripper for their turn, the assumption is that they are ready. Not that they need to see when the gripper arrives, then tailor a quick peaking phase, take a daily assessment of gripper strength, and then attempt the cert at the perfect time.

Yup, and of course how the video is shot with the box unwrapping, gripper shown, in view whole video, etc.

• 1 year later...

What about the issue of the witness availability etc?

No witness is required. Only video evidence.

I'm glad this is the case since I probably won't be able to hook up with Travis Mickelberry for the cert. My wife will open the package and get the video. She's not a Gripboard member though. I'm going through all the rules now to see if that's kosher.

It's Kosher.

Thanks Bill! Has anyone done a cert filming themselves - no witness there with them? Wouldn't that technically be possible with the rules? It sounds offhand to be kind of "dirty" in a way. But I guess it's not since it wouldn't alter the fact that the box has to be opened on video and the closes have to be on camera too.

I wrote down somewhere that I only had a 15-minute timespan to complete the 3 attempts. I don't think I read it anywhere on this forum because I couldn't find any mention of that. But it was over 5 years ago and maybe that only meant that I had a really crappy digital video camera that would take nowhere near enough video to show more than one attempt. I'll probably be limited to 10 minutes tops on the one I have now even though it's got good definition.

It's Kosher.

Thanks Bill! Has anyone done a cert filming themselves - no witness there with them? Wouldn't that technically be possible with the rules? It sounds offhand to be kind of "dirty" in a way. But I guess it's not since it wouldn't alter the fact that the box has to be opened on video and the closes have to be on camera too.

I did mine this way. Teemu did all his this way.

Cool Matt. I seem to be asking a ton of questions. The gripper isn't here yet otherwise I'd be tackling it.

Cool Matt. I seem to be asking a ton of questions. The gripper isn't here yet otherwise I'd be tackling it.

No problem ;)