Curl War 3: The Peoples' Dietitian Vs. The Diesel Crew

jad

I don't think this is breaking any rules and I appologize if it is. What I'm trying to do is regenerate some interest in the old Rob Vigeant 100# DB strict curl challenge. I've addressed this topic in detail on my blog. Jedd and I are pushing each other and we're hoping some of you join in as well.

www.peoplesdietitian.blogspot.com

edit: Not sure why it changed the title format but it should read Curl War III.

Good stuff, Josh! I'll follow this. Really hope you get some feedback from the very big and strong guys too (the Lupkes and Shaw types f. e.) to see what is really possible...

Good stuff, Josh! I'll follow this. Really hope you get some feedback from the very big and strong guys too (the Lupkes and Shaw types f. e.) to see what is really possible...

Exactly. These are the type of individuals I had in mind when Rob originally came out with this challenge and why I thought he was insane and going to be quickly relieved of his hundy. I have to hand it to him though, for all the speculation, there is STILL NOBODY that has matched his original video, much less curled 100# DB in strict fashion. It truly is the Bigfoot of arm strength.

Kevin Levrone curled 100 lb dumbbells for reps in a manner pretty close to what Rob did. He probably could have done one rep strict enough to pass this.

Someone posted it on the NE board and it kind of got overlooked.

Some of the comments in youtube say that doesn't look like a 100# dumbbell. What's your thoughts on this?

Also, his form was decent but not strict like the challenge is asking for.

Who has the biggest strict dumbbell curl?

So I happen upon Josh Dale's YouTube Channel and see him talking about someone named Rob Vigeant, something about some Bicep Curl Challenge.

I thought,"Don't I know that name, Rob Vigeant?"

So the I happened over to Josh's Blog and lo and behold there is this video of a guy doing a strict curl with over 80-lbs on a loadable handle and I realized who it was. A character of Gripboard fables and lore, that had all but faded from my memory.

Josh laid out the rules for this challenge very nice and neat and for all and invited people to give it a try.

So I commented, "Seems interesting, Josh. I did 90-lbs per hand one time when i was younger. They were seated and they weren't that strict, but it was the most I ever got," or something like that.

"Oh come on," said Josh. "Don't be modest, Napalm. Upload it for us to see."

So, as requested, I uploaded it.

Crickets.

Less than crickets.

Not a peep was heard.

Not a creature was stirring, not even a cricket, I say!!!

So, I thought maybe the video got lost in the shuffle, so what I did was I uploaded my best attempt on a Dumbbell and carefully crafted the tags to match the 90-lb seated curl.

No comments. No emails. Nothing from Josh Dale.

After a few days, I uploaded another video, this time matching nominally Josh's best attempt, and when I submitted it for the challenge, the next day I am greeted with this message via Josh's video stream...

"I'm taking down Napalm!" said Josh, and he followed it up with what looked like a quick crotch chop and then proceeded to roll his sleeve up reeeeeeallllyyyy sloooooooooooow in order to flash the guns he is packin', and proceeded to edge my best curl out by about 2 pounds.

Friends, like the surprise attack of Pearl Harbor so many fateful years ago, the gauntlet has been thrown down by the Josh Dale. A head to head clash via the YouTube Gateway is building and gaining steam.

Who else wants to get in on the excitement?

Post your personal bests here, and be sure to include your most scathing wrestling promo's and dash it with some slices of sarcasm.

To find out more about the developments of Curl War III, check out Josh's Blog, The People's Dietitian: http://peoplesdietitian.blogspot.com/

All the best in your training,

Jedd

Kevin Levrone curled 100 lb dumbbells for reps in a manner pretty close to what Rob did. He probably could have done one rep strict enough to pass this.

I overlooked it because it's the textbook example of someone not meeting Rob's standards and then fans trying to extrapolate what would happen based on said performance. Kevin's video = FAIL regarding Rob's challenge.

The Peoples' Dietitian was enjoying the peoples' coffee this morning when he sensed a disturbance in the Gripworld. He headed over to the Gripboard, the epicenter of all things Grip, and saw that Jedd Johson has finally responded to Curl War III....

First things first, pull the Diesel beanie up so you can see the instructions on the blog. I clearly stated that you would need post the link in the comments section of the blog. The Peoples' Dietitian only actively searches youtube videos that are tagged with LFL, sorority girls, or Glock. One of the Peoples' Dietitian's followers did manage to find your video.

I kept getting distracted by the fanny pack in the background but focused long enough to pick up on the swing. Would it pass for Rob's video; no but not as much swing as I expected :bow . You were def Diesel once upon a time. Can Jedd Johnson return to Diesel form or will he forever remain Kerosene Crew? Time will tell.

Ladies and Gentleman....boys and muthfluffin girls....the time to choose sides is now. Post links to your video in the comments section of my blog and indicate who you're with; Diesel Crew or The Peoples' Dietitian. Who will win Curl War III?

Napalm cuts a better promo than Kevin Levrone. That was weak.

That's for sure Jedd! It was like he was reading off a badly written cue card.

That's for sure Jedd! It was like he was reading off a badly written cue card.

Yes, yes he does

Those are not stripes on my shirt in the video above. They are stretch marks on my sleeves from rapid bicep growth.

Jedd

• Like 3

Those are not stripes on my shirt in the video above. They are stretch marks on my sleeves from rapid bicep growth.

Jedd

And that's not a bald spot on my head in my video, it's a low-light orientation device for Jessica Biel

I'm gonna get in on this for fun. Not expecting to take the lead or anything but i've been trying this lift the past 2 bicep workouts and it's pretty fun. Much harder than I was expecting. I'll bring the camera to the gym next week and upload whatever happens.

btw either side of the war wanna share their workouts for this? Like are you guys just doing max attempt or do you have a certain system of sets/reps you do after your max attempt? I'll say what I did just experimenting with this the past 2 weeks.(don't wanna make claims without a vid so treat these numbers as hypothetical)

Week 1: no idea what to expect as I have never tried this but I'm pretty sure I'll get 70- 75 easy. 40lb for a couple reps, 60lb for 1 rep, 70lb attempt Failed! I'm pretty shocked and humbled at this point. Went down to 65lb and squeezed out 1 hard rep. After this I went down to 60lb for a triple then did a negative with 80lb. Week 2: warmed up and went for the 70 again and smoked it! Tried 75, Nope! Went with the same idea as week 1 and did 65 for 3 reps(had to cheat just a bit to get the 3rd) then did a negative with 85lb. So thats all I did as far as strict db curl. Obviously I did other bicep work after i'm just curious if you guys are doing anything specific on the lift itself that you think is getting you gains. Or even if you think you're getting really good carry over from another specific curl like db preacher, barbell curl, whatever. If you wanna keep it a secret I understand. :tongue

Not strict by any standards! Not Rob's for sure!

I'm gonna get in on this for fun. Not expecting to take the lead or anything but i've been trying this lift the past 2 bicep workouts and it's pretty fun. Much harder than I was expecting. I'll bring the camera to the gym next week and upload whatever happens.

btw either side of the war wanna share their workouts for this? Like are you guys just doing max attempt or do you have a certain system of sets/reps you do after your max attempt? I'll say what I did just experimenting with this the past 2 weeks.(don't wanna make claims without a vid so treat these numbers as hypothetical)

Week 1: no idea what to expect as I have never tried this but I'm pretty sure I'll get 70- 75 easy. 40lb for a couple reps, 60lb for 1 rep, 70lb attempt Failed! I'm pretty shocked and humbled at this point. Went down to 65lb and squeezed out 1 hard rep. After this I went down to 60lb for a triple then did a negative with 80lb. Week 2: warmed up and went for the 70 again and smoked it! Tried 75, Nope! Went with the same idea as week 1 and did 65 for 3 reps(had to cheat just a bit to get the 3rd) then did a negative with 85lb. So thats all I did as far as strict db curl. Obviously I did other bicep work after i'm just curious if you guys are doing anything specific on the lift itself that you think is getting you gains. Or even if you think you're getting really good carry over from another specific curl like db preacher, barbell curl, whatever. If you wanna keep it a secret I understand. :tongue

I just arm wrestle. I don't remember the last time I curled prior to this challenge.

Not strict by any standards! Not Rob's for sure!

I disagree in a manner of semantics. Strict is a matter of definition. The dictionary definition gives "

characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles". In Levrone's case his requirements were to grow his arms in the most effective way possible. Would you say he did not meet these requirements? They may not be strict in regards to the particular challenge, but that's not what he was after.

I just posted it to show that although there may not be a sufficient video YET, I definitely think it is possible and not that far out of reach of a lot of people. However, most of the people capable of it probably couldn't care less about it.

Edited by thewalrus

thewalrus: just thought I'd share what happened to me. I was dumbell curling and I did a weight for 12 reps each hand (alternate db curls) and I was watching my form and thought "pretty decent, almost no cheating, only a tiny little bit loose on the latter reps". So of course I thought that just 1 rep, strict, would be much higher. Several hours later I tried and only got about 10% more weight on 1 strict rep.

So speculating what a person would or would not do judging by their loose and swinging reps.... is just pointless IMO.

Guys, don;t worry about the weight. Just give it a try. It is supposed to a fun thread and challenge.

Guys, don;t worry about the weight. Just give it a try. It is supposed to a fun thread and challenge.

And if anyone here DOES do it...You should say "100 dumbbell curl...in your face" :laugh

jad: would bigdaddy's form pass your judgement? It doesn't pass mine. I wonder if it passes Rob's.

If I watcht he video focusing on his shoulder, it moves around a LOT during that curl, it moves up, backwards, then down. Unlike the strict curls that Rob, you and Jedd are seen doing, he doesn't even slow down when his forearm is horizontal. All you three guys were slow/struggling when the forearm was horizontal. His DB went right up above that and he seem to have only fought the last 30-35 degrees or so. Clear sign of a bit of momemtum gained from body movement in my opinion. Thoughts???

By the way I'm not trying to knock this guy down. He's strong for sure, I can't come close. I think I'm in the low 50's for this to be honest, judging by some fooling around I did a couple of days ago after a workout (was quite spent), so it's not about me just in case :). But I feel if we're gonna allow STRICT curls they have to be truly strict. That amount of shoulder movement plus the quickness with which the dumbbell rose past parallel seem to me it's not as strict as Rob would allow, in my humble opinion.

One thing if for sure, I should start curling so I can be less pathetic :)