World Class Gripper Question Once Again

ChimpGrip

What would it take to wear one out (closing it, chest crushing it, etc) ?

I'm not sure except that examples of wearing out ANY gripper are scarce and I don't see why the WC would be any different.

For example, I would guess some of my light grippers have 10000+ reps.

Matt, just outta curiosity, have you ever re calibrated a gripper that has been used as much as you described? Does it change the rgc at all if any?

• Like 1

Just imagine the catapolt

you could make.

Matt, just outta curiosity, have you ever re calibrated a gripper that has been used as much as you described? Does it change the rgc at all if any?

I have found them to still be within the general margin of error. The RGC process is plentiful with possibilities for margin of error.

With so much time and use between two RGC measurements, it's hard to say anything concrete about the spring condition before and after. My #1 as an example is probably my most-closed gripper. The rating seems steady although the feel has changed. With time and neglect in handling the knurling has become smoother, which changes the feel. Taking a rating now would be within a couple pounds of the original number, but it's impossible to say what exactly accounts for the difference.

My concern is...

People want to pick up and try to close my hercules and world class gripper, because they are ridiculous grippers. What worries me is that if one keeps trying to close a gripper like that It will wear out even though its not being closed during all the attempts.

What the heck are you talking about - it's a paper weight just like a rock - and about as much good to you.

• Like 2

Rick, good question, I've never had a monster gripper to evaluate. But I am 99% sure the Thor gripper would be harder.

I have to say, if the Russians are chest crushing this gripper they probably are not closing it.

Here is a photo example of 250 pounds on a world class and then the same amount of weight on a Thor.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think they will be okay.................

My concern is...

People want to pick up and try to close my hercules and world class gripper, because they are ridiculous grippers. What worries me is that if one keeps trying to close a gripper like that It will wear out even though its not being closed during all the attempts.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... C'mon man... You could probably rgc those grippers at 4000 pounds and the most you'd wear out is your rgc device... The damn handles would probably break before those springs close. Why do you keep asking such Silly questions?

It's not meant to be a silly question, I care about the stuff I buy and want it to be taken care and not be worn out, doesnt matter its a unclosable gripper, or a gun, anything.

Understood, the only wear and tear would be cosmetic. It would humanly impossible to wear out springs like that without a hydraulic press like Aaron said.

Edited by jvance

My concern is...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... C'mon man... You could probably rgc those grippers at 4000 pounds and the most you'd wear out is your rgc device... The damn handles would probably break before those springs close. Why do you keep asking such Silly questions?

I have put over 100 reps on a World Class in my RGC with no ill effects. Again, like any other modern gripper, I think it would take a monumental number of reps for the spring to fail.

In all the years of people training here with grippers, I have seen more people report and document #4 closings than gripper failures at any level.

Personally, I'd worry about closing the #3 ONE SINGLE TIME rather wearing out a novelty gripper.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd worry about closing the #3 ONE SINGLE TIME rather wearing out a novelty gripper.

Well, sure. Some questions seem silly, but I also want people to feel like they can ask any question, and I like talking about grippers...

So "no harm, no foul" I guess.

:)

• Like 1

Well, sure. Some questions seem silly, but I also want people to feel like they can ask any question, and I like talking about grippers...

To be fair though Matt, it's definitely the most stupid question I've heard in a long time! :laugh

• Like 1

To be fair though Matt, it's definitely the most stupid question I've heard in a long time! :laugh

Go ahead and laugh. As stated I like to take care of my things, I don't know or care if you do, but I do.

So, lets say you don't take care of your hurcules gripper, and the spring breaks while you are closing it.... I'm pretty sure you'd be the baddest MF ever lived. And museums would be calling to acquire the gripper that was impossible to budge yet someone didn't take care of it, so the spring wore out and broke..... Do you not see how rediculous this sounds?

I was talking mainly towards the world class gripper. People keep picking it up, trying to close it. Not truly "wearing it down", but making it weaker. I just don't like that. So I bring that concern on here input. Not because its happening now, but so I know what to not to do/let happen in the future. Same thing goes for rust. I posted something about rust on grippers a couple a weeks ago. This all goes back to caring for you belongings. Once again, it doesn't matter if its a firearm, a computer, or an "unclosable" gripper.

Would be cool though to be the bad MF who could wear out a hercules, lol. But IMO, our US Special Forces (SEALs, Delta, etc.) are the baddest MFers on the planet.

Maybe in 10000 years it will be weak enough for someone to close it, there are more important things to worry about, like changing your oil every 100 miles. I dont mean to come across sarcastic like an asshole but my satire is reasonably analogous to your obsessive concerns with a useless gripper. I think you should focus on real attainable goals, instead of worrying about grippers that were made to be jokes.

You should get a 2hp device. They require a bit of care to maintain and ensure balance and accuracy of measurements. They also will help you get Strong, too much gripper work will destroy your hands and elbows.

• Like 1