Gripping Against Time

Jedd Johnson

I've been looking for a way to kick things up into a new gear lately, and I decided I would try to perform as many repetitions as possible of certain lifts within a time limit.

For the majority of these videos, I placed my wall clock on the floor where I could easily see it and went for as many reps as possible with the lifting implement within 1 minute.

Here are several videos from some of the things I tried last night. You will see in many of the videos I was able to add a time stamp to give a better idea of how long I went for everything.

I lost track of the actual order I did everything. In most cases, I'd suggest people do Cleans before regular Deadlifts, just because Cleans require more pinching power.

These all got me breathing good and tired my glutes out, which I'd already hit pretty hard with Axle Deadlifts prior to this.

Blob Plus 5# Max Deadlifts Against Time

I got double-digit reps with just the empty Blob in one minute, so I decided to bump some weight up.

55# Anvil By Heel for Reps Against Time (Righty)

There was a time when I could not lift this anvil in this manner to save my life. I have been training it hard lately with weight added so I wanted to see what else UI could accomplish for just bare reps.

I also have a video uploaded going Lefty, but it wasn't nearly as Diesel.

Fatman Blob Power Clean Reps Against Time

I saw Juha doing a Blob Clean recently and wanted to see what I had in the tank still as far as reps. I got a LOT more reps with a Next Gen. it wiped my hands out quite a bit. I want to try this one again sometime with my hands fresher to see what I can get. I also had a hard time with chalk on this Blob. Hand kept smearing moisture all over it and I kept having to re-chalk over and over.

This was an awesome workout. I did way more stuff than this, but I didn't cut all the footage up. If you're looking for some cool variations for your training, try some stuff like this out. Doesn't have to be with a Blob. It can be with another Block Weight, loadable dumbbell, etc.

All the best,

Jedd

• Like 4

Dieselness!!!!

Whenever I seek a whooped grip i'm a fan of max reps followed by a hold to failure, and drop sets with doing max reps on each set.

• Like 1

That was just one workout?! Insane lol

That looks like it would be a fun event for a contest also, kind of like how they do it for strongman events

That was just one workout?! Insane lol That looks like it would be a fun event for a contest also, kind of like how they do it for strongman events

I was thinking of that myself.

Whenever I seek a whooped grip i'm a fan of max reps followed by a hold to failure, and drop sets with doing max reps on each set.

Sounds awesome.

That was just one workout?! Insane lol

Ha Ha. Yeah, that was one workout. I had an energy drink so I was bouncing off the walls.

One of my favorite baseball movies is "For Love of the Game," where Kevin Costner pitches a perfect game for the Detroit Tigers. In it, Vin Scully says Costner's character, Chapel, is "Pitching Against Time," due to his advanced age. I always thought that was a cool phrase, so i grabbed it and twisted it like a 60D nail for the title of this post. Maybe I should have made it "Pinching Against Time" instead, given all the Blob work....LOL.