132.4Lb Dumbbell Preacher Curl

James Retarides

I wasn't scheduled to try this until next week (based on my charts) but moved it up a week because I didn't want to be in too much pain for Sorinex Summer Strong next week but this is my first >60kg curl. I can't bench 700lbs but I can do this and I am told it might be as rare https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XN0h3RmTPYE

• Like 8

Crazy shit right there. My arm would snap for sure. Great work, impressive as hell.

Thanks EJ and Josh. I am not sure. I have not see any records posted of I have never seen anyone doing more than 115 without a spotter or really bad form.

:blink

amazing strength, I wouldn't want to arm wrestle this guy.

I haven't armwrestled in 3 years competitively but I would imagine it is a lot like riding a bike. ;)

I bet James.

perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but I think arm wrestling is about physics/forces assuming you have good knowledge of technique: How much loading forces you can tolerate in different directions in an arm wrestling position. If you are stronger than your opponent at any given moment with let's say pulling (test with preacher/table curl etc), hook pressure (eg. test with Devon Larratt hook training exercise) and wrist curls, then you'll likely win. Would you disagree?

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Thank you, Frank! Evan, yes and no. Coordination and applying pressure in directions that will take your opponent out of a powerful position are also important. Sometimes (like with a post move for example) using your opponents force/momentum to put them in an uncomfortable position and resuce their leverage is more important than being the stronger man on the table. In that way it is kind of like judo. The stronger guy expending the most energy without attaining victory quickly is likely to lose. Before steroids ruined the art of the sport, I described armwrestling like speed chess, highly technical yet requiring fast decision-making skills and seeing all of the angles on the table.

• Like 4

thank you for sharing James, this helps

I described armwrestling like speed chess, highly technical yet requiring fast decision-making skills and seeing all of the angles on the table.

I imagine that this is best developed after hours and hours of practicing arm wrestling vs. training with wts and machines that are fairly predictable.

Thanks Slazbob! Evan, time on the table armwrestling is by far the most important facet to improving as an armwrestler.

• Like 1

Before steroids ruined the art of the sport,
Couldn't agree more; powerful curl James.
  • Like 1

That was another great curl brother. World class for sure.

Manthos.

Also James did this with no wrist wrap, no chalk & no lifting strap (All which would help significantly if he used them). I know this from training this type curl myself. The ability to get keep the wrist level with this kind of weight is very hard and a wrist wrap & strap would make a huge difference. Also he didn’t use a neoprene elbow sleeve with a thermal muscle rub, which would help to warm-up the elbow and bicep area as this is a very dangerous movement with a high potential for injury. I guess the point is I could not imagine trying this movement (with this kind of weight) with no supportive gear.

• Like 1

Thank you Manthos! Scott, I honestly didn't know all of that and would have never thought of using a wrap or strap. One thing is for certain: after doing a 1rm with levertop at Bob's last week and then doing this, my bicep hates me. I am going to be popping Advil like M&Ms today at work.

Dude that's some amazing strength! World class