Redo: One Arm Dumbbell Military Press

hellswindstaff

http://youtu.be/usOVge3cmx8

Tried this yesterday. Shoulders felt like garbage, especially acromions from doing two pressing workouts in the same 7-day period. I think i can get my 110 when I am not feeling so beat up. I realize I leaned back a bit, so if it doesn't count, no problem.

Video is still currently uploading, at the time of posting.

look good to me jedd!

Nice work Jedd!!! You are looking jacked!

Thanks bro. Changed my diet up and I've lost more than 20 lbs since the Arnold. But, even better than that is with the better quality diet, I feel like a crazed, rampaging beast every workout. Haven't felt this maniacal in the gym since like 26 or 27. I easily train with weights 5 days a week most weeks, (before I was lucky to get 4 and usually only 3) plus been doing a bunch of distance running and shorter metabolic drills, which I never had the energy for before. I credit all that stuff to the diet.

• Like 1

Nuttin but a peanut, Jedd

Wayne, that was some very nice pressing. Also, the strictest video posted yet. There is a fine line between a Press and a "Bent Press" folks. If your torso has to lean WAY OVER to one side to complete the press, is it really a "strict shoulder press"? When I ask myself this, the answer is a resounding no.

i may have missed a post, but who exactly has submitted a "bent press"?

I guess my choice of words was not the best, as I see at least three guys reacted to my comment. First of all, let me clear something up: I did NOT say anyone had done a Bent Press. I just said there is a fine line and, I suspect, according to each individual you will get different opinions on who crosses it or not. Some will allow more lean, others less.

mudhutmasher: to answer your question, after clearing up that I did NOT mean to imply someone from the Gripboard had done a bent press..... I could still try to just hold the argument and tell you to look at the second post in this whole thread, the Gorilla of a Man "pressing" 97kg.... I feel like an idiot saying this because I will never ever press that with TWO hands, so that guy has my respect on like a million different levels. BUT, if you pause at 0:52, his torso is bent like 45 degrees. If this is called a strict one arm dumbbell press, then so be it. It just so happens it is not my definition.

I guess I just wanted to comment on the fact that just like it is hard to just a strict curl (as even the tiniest little hip drive, one that is dubbed as "nothing" from people watching, can make the difference between a not-even-close failure or a completed rep), it is also hard to judge these presses because of the various degrees of leaning to the side. Just think of this: when you do standing presses with a DB in each hand... you can't lean to one side really, like the Bear of a Man from the second post. I guess pressing two DB's at the same time may be easier to judge.

To finalize let me just say once more that I did not accuse anyone of anything, OK? You are all stronger than me, as the only time I have held a 100# DB over my head I had tu push-press it. Oh, wait, I think I snatched 100# a few times but had to catch it low, not a "muscle snatch"... so don't mind little ol' me :P

Wayne, that was some very nice pressing. Also, the strictest video posted yet. There is a fine line between a Press and a "Bent Press" folks. If your torso has to lean WAY OVER to one side to complete the press, is it really a "strict shoulder press"? When I ask myself this, the answer is a resounding no.

I guess my choice of words was not the best, as I see at least three guys reacted to my comment. First of all, let me clear something up: I did NOT say anyone had done a Bent Press. I just said there is a fine line and, I suspect, according to each individual you will get different opinions on who crosses it or not. Some will allow more lean, others less.

mudhutmasher: to answer your question, after clearing up that I did NOT mean to imply someone from the Gripboard had done a bent press..... I could still try to just hold the argument and tell you to look at the second post in this whole thread, the Gorilla of a Man "pressing" 97kg.... I feel like an idiot saying this because I will never ever press that with TWO hands, so that guy has my respect on like a million different levels. BUT, if you pause at 0:52, his torso is bent like 45 degrees. If this is called a strict one arm dumbbell press, then so be it. It just so happens it is not my definition.

I guess I just wanted to comment on the fact that just like it is hard to just a strict curl (as even the tiniest little hip drive, one that is dubbed as "nothing" from people watching, can make the difference between a not-even-close failure or a completed rep), it is also hard to judge these presses because of the various degrees of leaning to the side. Just think of this: when you do standing presses with a DB in each hand... you can't lean to one side really, like the Bear of a Man from the second post. I guess pressing two DB's at the same time may be easier to judge.

To finalize let me just say once more that I did not accuse anyone of anything, OK? You are all stronger than me, as the only time I have held a 100# DB over my head I had tu push-press it. Oh, wait, I think I snatched 100# a few times but had to catch it low, not a "muscle snatch"... so don't mind little ol' me :P

Excellent points. Perhaps the best we could do with regards to making it a standardized and strict movement would be requiring locked knees, feet flat on the floor, with no wider than a shoulder width stance. But perhaps some flexible individuals could still get significant lean with these restrictions, I don't know...

The size of the plates on that guys dumbbell prevented him from keeping an upright torso, not the weight... those were like 35lbs plates, but I definitely see what you're saying.

Excellent points. Perhaps the best we could do with regards to making it a standardized and strict movement would be requiring locked knees, feet flat on the floor, with no wider than a shoulder width stance. But perhaps some flexible individuals could still get significant lean with these restrictions, I don't know...

If we really want to make it true to the Military namesake, we could require heels touching throughout the movement.

• 4 months later...

Pretty stoked. I was able to complete a 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4) ladder with my 93# pipe dumb bell today. Think I'm going to take the week off from DBPresses and test my max next weekend. Hoping to hit in the 119# range, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Damn man, you press with one arm what I press with two...

That's perfectly fine, you way 1/2 what I do.

I suck at pressing, but I thought I would just leave this here :rolleyes

The best part about Valery is he looks like somebody just off the street. Then he does some crazy stuff, and it gets you thinking about how densely powered he must be to generate that kind of force.

I was trying to PR both sides today, but only managed a new one for the left side:

Went for 118.5# on the right side, and it wouldn't even move. I'm going to up my training weight to 103.5#, and after a couple months of that, I should be ready for another attempt at 118.5#

• Like 1

I was trying to PR both sides today, but only managed a new one for the left side:

Went for 118.5# on the right side, and it wouldn't even move. I'm going to up my training weight to 103.5#, and after a couple months of that, I should be ready for another attempt at 118.5#

SSSSSSick... what size plates are those on the inside?

This is something I have done. The last time I single arm pressed a hundred was 2007. I will try it next time I train shoulders.

Thanks! The inner most are 25# plates, the rest are a combination of 10's and 5's. I have bought all these used and they are all different widths/thicknesses.

Yes, that's a 1.95" water pipe. I'm too cheap to go out and buy a real Oly db setup. Plus I'd probably just be sticking a fat gripz on it if I did.

Yes, that's a 1.95" water pipe. I'm too cheap to go out and buy a real Oly db setup. Plus I'd probably just be sticking a fat gripz on it if I did.

I got a pair for $10 from play it again sports. What kind of clamps were those holding the plates on... it's been a problem considering the one's that I purchased for $10 came with spring clamps :P

Edited by hellswindstaff

Spinlock collars are great. I have a few pairs that I love, but the problem is that they cost $35+.

Muscle lamps are good too.

The cheapest option is olympic tbar collars, they work both as inside and outside clamps.

Come to think of it, I think the pipe OD might be 1.9", not 1.95". Anyways, those are muffler clamps serving as collars both inside and out. They are really nice in that if you lock them down, they stay put, and they have a fairly large range of diameter that they can be used on. They also don't score up the surface of the pipe like some of the other collars. You can also put larger OD pipe on the inside if you want to train for the inch or larger diameter DBs, etc. Right now, I have the Gracie dumbbell you see in the background of the video. Thus, I don't have the 2.375" OD sleeve on the pressing dumbbell.

Play-it-again sports is good place to go. I haven't tried buying dumbbell handles there, but have bought other used stuff, and in the past when I was buying kettlebells, they would sometimes run specials on the Apollo KBs. Have to watch out though, because Apollo can make some pretty junky handles, and sometimes they skimp on the weight.

I was doing shoulders today so decided to get this 100lb press on video.. warmed up doing standing db presses with both hands at the same time 30x20, 50x10, 70x5 for warmups than did 100x2 right and used my left to video this at the same time lol which I feel made the lift a little harder having to concentrate on filming with my phone while pressing.

Video is on my youtube. Cant link ot on my phone but if someone else can? Find it through my mm1 cert on here or my name on there is m sams and the name of the video is 100x2 strict press