Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

5/6/2014

Squat: 3x5-150

Overhead Press: 3x5-87.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-175lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+10lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10(RH)/1x10,2x8(LH)-16.25lbs

Good to see those steady consistent increases in your weights. It brings up a bit of advice I'd like to give you. Looking over some of the advice people give you about your squat depth and patterns, I would suggest you remember one thing. For your stated goal, and arguably in general there is pecking order to progress.

1. Increase weights

2. Increase reps/speed

3. Increase volume

Starting strength works to increase the WEIGHT of your 3x5 work, which is important to do first. When you eventually stall, it would be wise to focus on 3x3 until you again stall. Then go for a single after a full week off of the main lifts. Next cycle in higher rep work and set rep prs starting in the 12-15 rep range (which you have never done before) and slowly go heavier until your reps get down into the 1-5 rep range again. Go for another single, trying to beat your last 1RM. Start with the rep work again, only this time including sub-maximal 5x5 work (which will be a pr for you since you have been doing 3x5) which you can alternate with your higher rep workouts. Slowly go heavier until once again you are in the 1-5 rep range, take a week off and set a 3rd 1RM pr. Lastly I would recommend you start an alternation of rep workouts, volume workouts, speed/dynamic workouts, and 1-5 max workouts in that order, hitting each lift 1-2x a week.

Hope this helps, and again just my 2c on where to go once you are done with starting strength.

Thank you very much Matt! I have been wondering what to do next, even though I have at least another 2 months on starting strength. I know I eventually want to try 5/3/1 but I feel i'd be selling myself short making monthly progressions right after SS. I really like the 3x3 idea after I stall, this would definently make sure I've squeezed out all linear strength progression possible. I will probably do that. My goal is to eventually compete in strongman (would like to compete in North Carolinas Strongest Man in 2016 to be exact). Do believe that working in the higher rep ranges after 3x3 would help with that? I do really like that idea as well though, working higher reps and slowly going down in reps would really shock the system and for sure make me stronger.

I really appreciate your advice, I would have never thought of those ideas and I really don't like any of the popular intermediate strength programs so I actually really needed it.

You will most definitely need to be able to rep weights out. For instance I am training for a strongman comp in which an event is a 455 deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, which for me will be 20+ reps. Strongman as I've come to understand it is about being the best strength athlete: the one who overall moves heavy weights the fastest over the longeat distance the most times. The suggested program I've given you will take years to fully play out and is what I wish I had started with when I was younger. For the high rep work just find your 15 rep max and each day you train those higher reps add 5 to 10 lbs to the bar and see how many you can manage. This will eventually get you back into the lower rep ranges. Just remember to include the alternating 5x5 work or after your third 1rm test the 5x5 and speed work, which I would suggest either 8 sets of 2-3 reps or 4 sets of 6 both with 30-70 percent of your 1rm. 531 is nice but after starting strength you will be around where 531 would take you right now anyway, and you will need to vary your training more.

Thanks man, like I said it actually sounds like a really good way to train. I'm sure i'll have more questions when I actually get to that point but again I really appreciate your advice and welcome any more you'd like to pass on

05/13/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-110lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-130lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-125lbs

-Too heavy, had I been one ounce weaker I wouldn't of completed. Looks like linear bench is over, oh well. Going to drop it to 115 next workout and start taking 2.5lbs jumps

Pullups: 2x7-BW

1x4-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 3x8-11.25lbs

Looks like this program is working great for you, Drake! Great progress so far. Remember, eat well, stretch at night, and never sacrifice form for more weight. Keep it up brother!

Looks like this program is working great for you, Drake! Great progress so far. Remember, eat well, stretch at night, and never sacrifice form for more weight. Keep it up brother!

Thanks Anthony, I really appreciate it! Its nice when more experienced people (or anyone really) give me a pat on the back. I just love how supporting everyone hear on the Gripboard is.

I think the program is going well to. My squats, DL, and clean are all feeling very strong!

Thanks Anthony, I really appreciate it! Its nice when more experienced people (or anyone really) give me a pat on the back. I just love how supporting everyone hear on the Gripboard is.

I think the program is going well to. My squats, DL, and clean are all feeling very strong!

Happy to comment, man. Weight lifting is such an alone, mono hobby that it's good to share with people. I follow your log and am happy to see you progressing. How are the front squats working for you? Years ago I trained them really hard and worked up to a 285 front squat which I was really proud of. Of course I was using the sting ray device for them...never had the wrist flexibility to just hold it with the fingertips. They're a great exercise for building the quads up.

Happy to comment, man. Weight lifting is such an alone, mono hobby that it's good to share with people. I follow your log and am happy to see you progressing. How are the front squats working for you? Years ago I trained them really hard and worked up to a 285 front squat which I was really proud of. Of course I was using the sting ray device for them...never had the wrist flexibility to just hold it with the fingertips. They're a great exercise for building the quads up.

Sooo true about lifting being a mono hobby, I want a workout buddy bad lol. Same with you man, your log shows ALLOT of progression, and its inspiring.

Front squats are going great, can't wait till next time I do them, its such a good feeling using 135 for the first time ;) . I decided I would do the program rotating front and back squat because I just don't believe you can keep up on +15lbs a week on squats for very long, just my opinion. I also like them because with the amount of core involvement I feel they'll help me reach a bigger squat and deadlift over time than squating every workout. They were awkward at first but I haven't really noticed any mobility issues.

285…. (bad word filter) man thats awsome! sting ray or not. That just seems so crazy, front squatting over 100lbs more than my last deadlift. Thats definently something to be proud of bud

5/15/2014

Squat: 3x5-155

Overhead Press: 3x5-90lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-180lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+12.5lbs

Skipped out on the plate wrist curls yesterday, having some pain in my left wrist so I won't do them tomorrow either to heal up for grippers on Sunday.

05/17/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-115lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-135lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-115lbs

Pullups: 1x7-BW

1x6-BW

1x4-BW

Grippers from CPW came in today

GHP 6-132lbs

COC #3-142lbs

I also decided to get a monster 3.5 that was pre-rated 183lbs. I figure if I ever am training for a 3.5 cert it would be the perfect gripper

We have twin grippers. I have a 132 GHP6 as well, and a 141 #3.

What is your best close to date? I'm getting closer to the GHP6, should be destroying a 2.5 by now.

What is your best close to date? I'm getting closer to the GHP6, should be destroying a 2.5 by now.

Just my 2, working on my 2.5. It still feels a good ways away.

I just really wanted a 3 to see how tough it was (and inspire me of course ;) ).

Then my check was a little better than usual….

Lol we do have twin grippers. Idk what was more surprising, the 142-#3 or the 132-#6. Both really low

Edited by dlewis8589

I just really wanted a 3 to see how tough it was (and inspire me of course ;) ).

Lol we do have twin grippers. Idk what was more surprising, the 142-#3 or the 132-#6. Both really low

The 142 #3 is a ton more surprising, and useful for MM0.

The GHP6s I've seen have been rating 135 and under. I have a second GHP6 that feels around 130, actually.

The 142 #3 is a ton more surprising, and useful for MM0.

The GHP6s I've seen have been rating 135 and under. I have a second GHP6 that feels around 130, actually.

True that, I hadn't even thought about MM0 lol. Either way we are both really lucky to have such "light" bricks, I mean 3's. Its definitely gonna make life a bit easier.Neither of us has an excuse to not reach MM0 LOL.
  • Like 1

5/20/2014

Squat: 3x5-160lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-185lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+15lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x5-17.5lbs

Great workout today. Felt strong. Really made a brake through on the dead lift today. Finally took off my skirt and dragged the bar up my shins. Did they get scraped? yup. Did the lift feel about 30lbs easier? yup.

05/22/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-120lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-140lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-117.5lbs

1x4-BW

5/24/2014

Squat: 3x5-165lbs(Bodyweight!)

Deadlift: 1x5-195lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+15lbs

Have you gained 10 or 15 pounds on this program? That's impressive. Great squatting, and your deadlift is looking very strong too.

Have you gained 10 or 15 pounds on this program? That's impressive. Great squatting, and your deadlift is looking very strong too.

Thanks man. Yah i'm real happy about the weight gain, its happening VERY slowly but surly

05/27/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-125lbs(keep weight same)

Front Squat: 3x5-145lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-120lbs

1x3-BW

5/29/2014

Squat: 3x5-170lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-92.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-205lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+17.5lbs

05/31/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-125lbs(Felt better, but still keep weight same)

Front Squat: 3x5-150lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-122.5lbs

1x3-BW

6/1/2014

Squat: 3x5-175lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-92.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-210lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+17.5lbs

6/5/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-125lbs(Shitty)

Front Squat: 3x5-155lbs