Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Yori,

in your goals list it has Dime/Nickel/Quarter/H.Dollar/Block, what are these?

Are they block set widths, if so what widths are they?

Cheers,

Mike.

Whenever I MMS, I have the tendency to cheat by setting beyond parallel. These widths are to help me it back on that and eventually be able to CCS grippers.

After setting, I pass a coin through the handles so I must close the handles over a determined distance.

Thanks Yori but as per the question, what are the widths/ diameter dimensions of the coins, preferably in mms(metric)?

Cheers.

Edited by Autolupus

I see your question now.

dime=18mm

nickel=21mm

quarter=24mm

dollar=26.5mm

half dollar=30.5mm

block=38mm

A nice progression.

• Like 1

Tonight: Pull up max attempts

Went to the gym to video my progress on weighted pull ups as opposed to neutral grip chin ups.

Videos to follow, as my internet is dragging right now... but it seems like I'll make it into the 200 club over on the pull up contest thread.

Video 1: BW126+70lbs

Video 2: BW 126+75lbs (Current PR)

Ha nice work dude, you beat me in the race.

Thanks man, I attribute the success to the DBZ shirt I was wearing.

But seriously, this is only the start! 201 hardly counts as 200 club. :rolleyes

Ha nice work dude, you beat me in the race.

Thanks man, I attribute the success to the DBZ shirt I was wearing.

But seriously, this is only the start! 201 hardly counts as 200 club. :rolleyes

Hey, you're in, now on to 250!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple updates.

First, I hit 79lbs in a weighted pull up, making my new PR 206lbs.

BW127+79lbs Pull Up (Current PR)

Secondly, I updated some goals and will train to start chasing these.

Most notably, I'd like to hit a 70+lbs weighted pistol squat (current 25lbs) and a 200+ bench.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday: AW Practice

Haven't met up with anybody to pull in a few weeks, was busy at work until now.

Met up with the guys to pull some.

For the first time, I beat a guy who's been a lot stronger than me in every single position.

Got him in a nasty toproll and held onto his thumb until he had nothing to do but to go down.

Now I know there's one position that I can beat him in, but he avoids it easily by setting up differently.

I need to get stronger and work more on my toproll.

This week: GTG pistol work

Since I discovered weighted pistols, I've made it my mission to catch up my numbers to my pull ups.

The benchmark figure for this seems to be (For my current weight of 125lbs): a 200 lbs pull up (done) and a 200 lbs pistol.

This is bodyweight and additional weight.

Furthermore, my benching needs improvement. I've never benched more than 150, and I suspect my max is 135 right now. I want to get this up to 200 lbs as well.

I've been GTG with my pistols, doing a few at BW and a few weighted to see if I can improve.

Started with struggling to get 10#s weighted, and I'm currently doing 30#s for reps.

Tonight: Deadlift and Squat Max attempts

I'm disappointed. I tried for an updated PR in DLs tonight, my previous being 225. I got 225 easily, and bumped it to 245 and missed twice.

It felt like I was doing too much work with the wrong parts of my back so I backed off, but I don't think I would've gotten it either way.

I also tried for my squat max. I've never been sure what I can lift because I've never really had a chance with a barbell to squat with.

I immediately went for 135 because I figured it would be the same as a pistol. The weight felt different, and I bottomed out after going A2G and couldn't get back up.

Worked with form and getting used to the movement after that, but I think a 135 squat fail is total shite.

I will do something about this one.

I need to get to the lab more often and will be concentrating on improving these numbers while getting better at BW movements.

Tonight: Deadlift and Squat Max attempts

I'm disappointed. I tried for an updated PR in DLs tonight, my previous being 225. I got 225 easily, and bumped it to 245 and missed twice.

It felt like I was doing too much work with the wrong parts of my back so I backed off, but I don't think I would've gotten it either way.

I also tried for my squat max. I've never been sure what I can lift because I've never really had a chance with a barbell to squat with.

I immediately went for 135 because I figured it would be the same as a pistol. The weight felt different, and I bottomed out after going A2G and couldn't get back up.

Worked with form and getting used to the movement after that, but I think a 135 squat fail is total shite.

I will do something about this one.

I need to get to the lab more often and will be concentrating on improving these numbers while getting better at BW movements.

What kind of set/rep scheme are you using for training deadlifts and squats?

I don't have regular access to a bar so I rarely train either.

I think I'll start 531 with both after I get better at the form and technique.

Yesterday was my 3rd time DLing and my 2nd time squatting (with a bar) ever.

I've also been working pistols to get my leg strength up.

Ha well then there's no reason to be disappointed, man! At your size, If you're never able to train them, you're doing good to get those numbers!

Tonight: Squat and DL Max attempts revisited.

Went to the gym to settle some things with the weights.

After warming up, my updated DL max became 230. I felt like I got better with my form, and it was something I kept in mind while performing the lifts.

For squatting, I went A2G for every rep. Had most difficulty coming up from the bottom but easily completed the rest of the movement.

Missed at 135 again, made 125, and cheated 130.

Just one half of the squat that I want by the end of the year, but still a start.

I'll be running Starting Strength soon, and will max out my bench next time I'm at the gym.

• Like 1

Today: Form instruction on DL and Squats

Went to Kyle, TX for my somewhat biweekly training session with BBM (Big Bald Mike).

For those who don't know, he's a 450 pound vegan who AWs and used to pro wrestle. Cool guy.

Tried out his Mark Henry DB replica (213#s with 2.5" handle) to no avail. :grin:

Got instructed in my squats first, and before long he had me doing 155 for easy reps and 175 for a single with some help at the bottom.

My max that I did with no help at all was 135 for a few reps.

I'll have to work on my form some more because of wrist pain when holding the bar low on my back Rippetoe style.

For DLs, tried solidifying my form which BBM said was okay. Got 230 with good form, and finally pulled 246 in a grinding manner.

That's a 16 lbs increase since last time!

I'll be pulling DLs once a week on mondays and Squats once a week on wednesdays from now.

Felt great to make some good progress in the gym today.

Got some new grip equipment and more on the way.

-An RT handle that I'm itching to try out.

-A Lemley gripper, reverse wound, feeling tons easier in my left than in my right hand.

-A pull up belt, so I don't have to use my neon green pool noodle with weights attatched anymore.

-Fatgripz on the way, for axle practice.

In addition, doing some new training in preparation for the Show of Hands comp.

-Gripper 20-30mm set closes

-DO Deadlifts on olympic bar

-2HP practice, if I can get my hands on 2 45#s or 35#s.

-Fatgripz everything.

Tonight: DO Deadlift (For the first time) and Squats

@School Rec

DO DLs felt better than I expected them to. Here's what I did.

Warm up: 45x10, 65x5, 95x3, 135x3, 155x3

Working: 185x2, 205x2, 225x2, 245x1, 245x1, 225x2

Note: my max DO is the same as my staggered grip max. The weight felt comfortable though, and even went for two singles of my max weight of 245#.

I need to keep increasing my DL so my back doesn't hold me back in axle lifts. Bar started rolling out of my hands a little but I could keep it there.

Squat

Warm up: 45x10, 65x5, 85x5

Working: 105x5, 115x3, 115x3, 105x3

Note: Felt better than last time I squatted. My numbers still suck but my form is getting better. I'm sure I'll be handling a lot more weight very soon.

Recap: Went to the gym ready to kill. Glad my DO-DLs were not limited by my grip strength. My roommate, who is usually my work out partner, seems no longer to be a viable option. He works out solely to (try to) look good and is really unfocused in the gym. I will probably need a new friend to push iron with.

Tonight: Weighted Pull Ups

Tried a few ideas to do a better video for the pull up contest, which needs an updated attempt from me.

Tried some weight with my neck exaggeratedly going over top and to the front of the bar.

Got 65# easy and tried for 85... And missed horribly. Tried a rep at 75 and again missed.

I think my strength has been down on the pulling department a little. Need to train a bit to get it back up.

Today: 20mm gripper closes

Note: Translating my MMS into 20mm set strength, in preparation for the upcoming SOH comp.

My best MMS to date has been a #2.5, but I'm currently at the strength level of a 2.1 or so.

I've never been good at or have taken the time to practice 20mm sets.

Warm up: HG100x10, HG150x10, HG200(RGC:90#s)x5

Working: RB130(probably RGC:100 or so, freak of nature with a 3-3/16 spread)x5 attempts, RB160(RGC:105ish)x 3 attempts, 3 sets.

Closed RB160 twice with right hand, new PR for 20mm set. IM#2x2 attempts.

Getting stronger!

The positioning for 20mm is very different from MMS, and I've found that learning the correct width to open your hand before passing the block will help your closes, since there'd be no awkward adjustment and extended holding necessary.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 400 pound vegan. Learn something new every day.

And nice lifting, Yori! You'll be amazed by your squat and deadlift progress, being new to the movements.

FYI, if you don't already know, 1.5" steel plumbing pipe from the local hardware store makes a great substitute for an actual axle. The outside diameter is about 1 7/8".

Thanks, Eric. I've been quickly improving in the gym. These movements are novel and exciting to me, and I can't wait to get a lot better at them.

I have PVC pipes cut to different lengths in 2" and 2.5" to get a feel for the grip, but don't have any Oly weights to put on them yet.

I'm just practicing DO on the 1" Olympic bars at the gym, hoping the numbers I pull here will be somewhat similar to the real thing.

Most likely your axle will considerably less than your double overhand olympic bar lift. I did either 455 or 475 double overhand on an oly bar the one time I maxed out, I forget which. My best axle is 365ish. But regardless, you're off to a great start!

I'm pretty excited about you competing! We're long overdue for some numbers to be put up in the lightest weight class.

Eric, was your back the limiting factor when pulling DO oly bar?

I guess I'll have to see how it goes on contest day with the axle.

Meanwhile I'll be training my back so it isn't the limiting factor in anything I pull, since when I pull DO on an oly bar, my grip outperforms my back.

I'm hoping that between me and the other contestant, we set the bar high for flyweights to come.