Ghp Gripper Challenge

Wade Gillingham

This is too GOOD!

Way to go Tommy!

Determination right there!

Wade,

If you are entertaining the thought of weight classes, it would make sense (to me) to mirror the new NAGSA weight classes:

Current NAGSA Men's recognized weight classes are: 59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg, 120kg+.

Weight classes would be an interesting addition to gripper certs that may make your certification list very popular IMO. VERY popular

The only down side to that would be how to weigh the gripster (if not in contest, it would be easy in a contest) ... you could have a lot of question as to the accuracy of the scale and all that jazz .... but I don't think that should be a deal breaker because it would be a cool amenity to the certification list. I'm sure something could be figured out that is not too cumbersome.

Edited by Paul Knight
  • Like 2

Wade,

If you are entertaining the thought of weight classes, it would make sense (to me) to mirror the new NAGSA weight classes:

Current NAGSA Men's recognized weight classes are: 59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg, 120kg+.

Weight classes would be an interesting addition to gripper certs that may make your certification list very popular IMO. VERY popular

The only down side to that would be how to weigh the gripster (if not in contest, it would be easy in a contest) ... you could have a lot of question as to the accuracy of the scale and all that jazz .... but I don't think that should be a deal breaker because it would be a cool amenity to the certification list. I'm sure something could be figured out that is not too cumbersome.

Exactly what I was thinking. While over and under 200 is a nice break point, a 160 pound guy shutting the same as a 195 pound guy says even more than 195 vs 205 for example. While the official weight may be tough to figure out I agree with Paul it is a great idea, goes along with the NAGSA and would really be a great addition to bring in lots of popularity.

Going with NAGSA also helps unify things in the sport, bringing it together more. Improves credibility, seems more official etc. Plus as the only gripper cert. with weight classes it certainly stands out as attractive

Edited by Bojast

Great idea, Wade. Looking forward to it. I'm loving my GHP grippers but it'll be a while before I'm repping my #8 - it's brutally hard. I'll buy another from you if you promise to send me the easiest one available! haha

Tim

I have one GHP Level 8 calibrated to 74.4kg ( like CoC ~ 3.23 )!

Edited by Draught-Player

Jonathan Vogt just became the first man in the world to close the GHP Level 8 under official GHP Gripper Challenge rules. We all have seen Paul Knight do this with a 1.5" credit card so Paul was first but technically Jonathan is first on the list (sorry Paul). Great job Jonathan. We talked for awhile at the Arnold and he told me he really hasn't been training grippers at all. I sent him the gripper to get him going again and 5 days after I sent it he comes up with this!

http://youtu.be/Zie-uL69szg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed these grippers. They look really high quality and I like the whole contest concept!

I'm considering buying one or two grippers, as well as a block. My question is regarding the resistance of these grippers compared to CoC. Currently I have about 10 short reps on the #3, and I have closed #3.5 with a deep set. What GHP grippers should I buy?

I want a bit of a challenge, but I don't want to have something that I can't close for years :P Also, since I live in Europe, and shipping is pretty expensive, I don't want to buy many grippers.

I just noticed these grippers. They look really high quality and I like the whole contest concept!

I'm considering buying one or two grippers, as well as a block. My question is regarding the resistance of these grippers compared to CoC. Currently I have about 10 short reps on the #3, and I have closed #3.5 with a deep set. What GHP grippers should I buy?

I want a bit of a challenge, but I don't want to have something that I can't close for years :P Also, since I live in Europe, and shipping is pretty expensive, I don't want to buy many grippers.

Get the GHP Level 7 and 8 then. If you only buy one it should be the Level 8 since you've closed the #3.5.

• Like 1

Hey Wade, I'm thinking of doing your certs here (never certed on a gripper before)... since we're locally familiar, how would going down to your place fit into the rules of cert?

I made a purchase or two, as I'm sure you know, but I've been working on others' gripper in the meantime...

Thanks

Hey Wade, I'm thinking of doing your certs here (never certed on a gripper before)... since we're locally familiar, how would going down to your place fit into the rules of cert?

I made a purchase or two, as I'm sure you know, but I've been working on others' gripper in the meantime...

Thanks

Matt - coming down here would work fine. We will be revising the rules one of these days to make this a little more flexible for having witnessed closes. Approved witness for instance would not require video proof but we would like it filmed for the record. The final call on a rep and proper starting distance would be made by the witness. This will open it up for other events like booths at expos or shows as well where video taping would be difficult. I still say the ultimate test will be doing this in a competition with a judge, from which an official world record list will be compiled.

• Like 1

Thanks for the gripper Wade! Very nice... smooth as butter.. really tough butter. I am going to need work to get the 8. My ghp8 feels tougher than my 180# 3.5.

p.s. wasnt going for the rep challenge. just one close. showing off a bit with the smaller clicks

Edited by Chris Mathison

Thanks for the gripper Wade! Very nice... smooth as butter.. really tough butter. I am going to need work to get the 8. My ghp8 feels tougher than my 180# 3.5.

p.s. wasnt going for the rep challenge. just one close. showing off a bit with the smaller clicks

Strong close, congrats!

Strong! I'll get this up on the list later tonight. You should have done reps!

Wade, just let you know via PM - but I got the GHP7 and crushed it lefty and righty this afternoon. Couldn't get the 1.5" Block Set lefty today but I did get it righty, which was a big surprise considering how my right forearm has been treating me with grippers the past few months. I was barely able to MMS close my easiest #3 (137lbs) a few weeks ago when I tried grippers righty the last time. Since then I've done a few gripper workouts but they've been exclusively lefty. I'm nowhere near my pre-tweak levels righty on grippers but if I have another good day where my forearm doesn't hurt too bad I'll give it a shot with the cert rules (micrometer and ruler) and get on that GHP7 list. Need to buy a GHP8 in the hope that my tweak will eventually go away one of these days...

Thanks for making terrific grippers! These are my new favorites. I have the GHP6 too.

Daniel Reinard closed the Level 7 last week but the video wasn't the best so I asked him to do it again and bang out 2 reps while he was at it. He obviously has the power but the second rep just wasn't there. Great job Daniel and thanks for shooting the video again.

http://youtu.be/CKTfdpAbn3U

John McCarter has joined the GHP Gripper Challenge list. Congrats John! http://www.gillinghamhp.com/gc.aspx

(John McCarter here; I forgot I even had this account) Thanks Wade! The grippers are killer.

Strong closes!

I opened my "7" last night and failed by a smidge. I'll put my hands back in the oven for a month or so and try it again.

Impressions...

If grippers had a party, this would be the hottie of the bunch. It stands out with it's form and function. I was surprised how the knurling tore into the hand. My "7" seems to be exactly equal to my CoC#3...which I found interesting...but it doesn't really tell me much since none of my grippers are RGC'd yet. If I may quote John "Thanks Wade! The grippers are killer."

Thanks Wade. Was pretty smoked going into the workout but really wanted to get another vid. Thanks for being clear on what to fix and a smoothe cert process. On to reps...and that L8 cert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUBLLVfsjc

Totally forgot to measure the spread. Still posting it just for the "don't do this factor." May be another week before my forearm feels good enough to redo the cert - and that time do it right. Probably could've CCS closed the GHP7 today. But I literally had one shot at it before my forearm hurt so much that I couldn't close a Trainer afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUBLLVfsjc

Totally forgot to measure the spread. Still posting it just for the "don't do this factor." May be another week before my forearm feels good enough to redo the cert - and that time do it right. Probably could've CCS closed the GHP7 today. But I literally had one shot at it before my forearm hurt so much that I couldn't close a Trainer afterwards.

Thanks for posting Ben and for being a good sport about the rules. I'll say the same thing I said to Daniel...no doubt you did it and no doubt there's more in the tank so redo it and next time close it for two reps!

Will do Wade! Thanks for the motivation to pick up the grippers again. I've put them down right handed for the most part, but getting my GHP6 got me back to working with my left and eventually I'll get it back to its strongest level and smash the heck out of the MM2.