Get Better

KRC

RT: 5x9 @ 102.5

Hammer: 5x7 @ 14.5" (174lbs)

Much better workout tonight than the last RT/Hammer session.

Grippers: up to 3x1 @ IM2.5 (124) w/20mm block

3x5 @ Filed BBM (108) w/1.5" BS

Hub: 5x5 @ 42.5

RT: 5x7 @ 107.5

Hammer: 5x5 @ 15.5" (186lbs)

Right hand was noticeably weaker than left on the RT tonight.

RT: 5x6 @ 110 (10 rep AMAP LH last set)

Hammer: 5x4 @ 16" (192lbs)

RT LH feels a lot better than RH for reps. I'll see how it does for heavy weights during the mock meet.

Grippers: up to 4x1 @ IM2.5 (124) w/20mm BS

1x1 @ IM3 (145) SB Hold for 6s

3x3 @ BBSM (122) w/20mm BS <-- huge rep PR

Hub: 5x3 @ 47.5

Everything felt strong today. Closed the BBSM LH with a 20mm BS and that's a PR, too. Gotta save some of these for the day of the comp...

Grippers: up to 3x2 @ IM2.5 (124) w/20mm BS <-- big PR

1x1 @ IM3 (145) SB hold @ 8s

Hub: 5x2 @ 50

Grippers: up to 5x1 @ BBM5/8" (125)

10s @ IM3 (145) SB Hold

Hub: 5x1 @ 52.5

I used the BBM 5/8" because it's marginally harder than the last gripper I used, the 124lb IM 2.5. After that the gap I have is 13lbs to my GHP6 @ 138. Definitely never using the 5/8" gripper again. I'll just file my BBSM at 122 for added difficulty. The 5/8" felt awful, from teh way it sat in my hand to the set to the pain it caused in the muscle between my thumb and pointer knuckle.

Definitely never using the 5/8" gripper again. I'll just file my BBSM at 122 for added difficulty. The 5/8" felt awful, from teh way it sat in my hand to the set to the pain it caused in the muscle between my thumb and pointer knuckle.

I use to have two 5/8" grippers. I hated them and sold them right away. It was a cool idea but they just don't feel right. I agree a person is better off filing a regular gripper. The skinny handles focus too much force on a smaller surface area and they pinched the skin on my hand all the time.

RT: 4x3 @ 117.5, AMAP: 1x8 RH, 1x9 LH

Hammer: 5x1 @ 17.5" (210lbs)

Last workout of the third cycle which was a week longer than the rest and I'm definitely looking forward to a week off before heavy singles on Friday or Saturday. The fourth cycle has the highest volume and the highest intensity yet but I'm taking a mini-vacation for the 4th, so I'll finish most of the first week, and then have a few days off. Hopefully this will help ease in to what will be a tough three weeks of training leading to the comp!

Goals for the third mock meet:

Grippers: progress on the 140 BBGM (i.e. 1/8" or closer)

Hub: 62.5

RT: 132.5

Hammer: 19" (228lbs)

Total: 547

Definitely never using the 5/8" gripper again. I'll just file my BBSM at 122 for added difficulty. The 5/8" felt awful, from teh way it sat in my hand to the set to the pain it caused in the muscle between my thumb and pointer knuckle.

I use to have two 5/8" grippers. I hated them and sold them right away. It was a cool idea but they just don't feel right. I agree a person is better off filing a regular gripper. The skinny handles focus too much force on a smaller surface area and they pinched the skin on my hand all the time.

Yeah man, good idea in theory, but it doesn't quite pan out. Hows your training going?

training is going good man. I had a couple off workouts with pinch and thick bar but I'm back on track now. Hey, I'm also hosting the King Kong Grip October 25th so that would be another good one for you to do. Here is the post: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42533

Goals for the third mock meet:

Grippers: progress on the 140 BBGM (i.e. 1/8" or closer)

Hub: 62.5

RT: 132.5

Total: 547

Results from third mock meet:

Grippers: 140 BBGM to below 1/4"

Hub: 62.3

RT: 131.3

Total: 545.6

I've been so close to closing this gripper for so long, I don't know if it's mental or what, but I'm easily within shooting distance on comp day. My attempts will depend on the grippers, but I might consider mid-130's for a second, and a third around 140, with this gripper or even with another one. We'll see. I've always gotten a lot from comp adrenaline on this event. My PR in a comp is my 138lb GHP6 and it would be nice to bump that up.

Hub was fine, RT was fine, and I did the hammer event with the "new rules" which for me just entailed putting the quarter in the center of the head. I did all these attempts with the hammer parallel to the ground just to see how much I would "lose" with the new technique. After training for three straight months with one technique and now changing it, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was fine. If I can get 19 fairly easily without any tilt and the quarter in the middle, I should be good for at least 20 on comp day, plus I'll learn what tilt I can use without the quarter falling off throughout the next month.

All in all pretty good. Last week and the next are the two toughest weeks of the year at work and I was exhausted going in to this, so I'm happy. My third attempts for the comp will likely look just like the above, maybe slightly higher.

Comp goals:

Gripper: 140

Hub: 65

RT: 135

Hammer: 21"

Total: 592

Home stretch!

My PR in a comp is my 138lb GHP6 and it would be nice to bump that up.

I just got the 141lb COC #3 I bought from Matt cannon in the mail. Would be a good goal for you at the comp.

• Like 1

My PR in a comp is my 138lb GHP6 and it would be nice to bump that up.

I just got the 141lb COC #3 I bought from Matt cannon in the mail. Would be a good goal for you at the comp.

Awesome man ,that's perfect. It would be great to both clear 140 and also to close a 3 for the first time!

These will probably be my attempts then:

BBSM = 123

COC #2.5 = 133.4

COC #3 = 141

If the 141 goes down, I'll shoot for the 144. Thanks for the info and the gripper list brotha!

• Like 1

Grippers: up to 3x6 @ FBBM (108) mix of CCS and 1.5" BS

Hub: 6x6 @ 45

Very hot and humid, grip on the hub wasn't great.

• 2 weeks later...

Underestimated work, despite my comments above, and training is a bit off the rails. I have about 10 days until a planned week off prior to the comp, and I'm not sure how to program--maybe gradually declining volume and intensity leading into the deload week...

In any case, the foundation is laid--three straight months of training the exact comp events. While I don't anticipate getting much stronger, I want to prevent getting weaker and maybe shoot for my 3rd mock meet comp numbers just to get them on the board. Who knows maybe I'll feel awesome comp day and crush it.

I'd say it all depends on your goals.

If grip is your number one goal, I'd cut back on squats, deads and other heavy lifting.

I believe grip has a very low systemic impact, so I'd hit it hard till one week out.

You can get physically ill and depressed by overtraining on big lifts. I don't think you can do that with grip.

But you know your body best.

Just my thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

Back at it today after a tough few weeks. Moved into a home almost 3x the size of my last place, and it's going very well so far. Been waiting for a garage to train in for 5 years and now I finally have one. Before and after pics below, still a work in progress.

Squat: 3x5 @ 95

Bench: 3x5 @ 95

Power Clean and Power Jerk: 5x3 @ 65 (superset with pull ups and PU negatives)

One Hand Pinch: 2x8 @ 51.7

Adx5jJC.jpg

pxYlI3v.jpg

Going to be doing basic sets of 5 lifting for a few weeks until I get into the swing of things, then likely switch to something easier to recover from, probably 5/3/1. The King Kong grip comp is in 3 months, and there is a 5k race in my local hometown near Albany, so I'm gonna feel things out through october and see if I can train for strength, and compete in those two events. Got challenged to do the 5k by two of my good buddies who are recently back into running and of course I can't back down from that :)

Pretty pissed about missing Chez's comp for several reasons, but the events were tailor made to my "stronger" events, and if my training was any indication, I could have placed 3rd thus qualifying for nationals... with the exception of the hub, the events at king kong are the ones I'm worst at, but it will be good to commit to a comp and also to train my weaknesses hard. We'll see.

Congratulations on all the success man the new gym looks great! I'm sure you will surprise yourself and put up some strong numbers at king kong.