Oldtime Leg Development

Volko Krull

Hi folks,

I just found this very old picture of Swiss champion wrestler John Lemm.

John Lemm

Look at those legs ! They are far better balanced than those of modern day bodybuilders

yet nearly as big. Also they look more natural and rugged, more like pure strength.

Notice the slabs of muscle around his kneecaps ! :blink

My question is which exercises and routines did the real oldtimers (pre 1940) use to

build this incredible leg look of power ? I read that Lemm could squat (ass to the grass in those days)

with over 500 lb.

best regards, Volko

His legs are nothing compared to a Tom Platz to be honest.

I wonder what platz is up to these days?

My legs look about like that. Probably a bit bigger, and, because they belong to me, much sexier. Just do lots of squats. No mystery here.

-Rex

There's a webpage that has links to the old time strongmen books, workouts and pamphlets. I think something like sandowplus.uk or something or maybe google sandow, oldtime strongmen to find it.

do your legs really look like that? the last vid i saw of you they didn't seem to look like that.

do your legs really look like that? the last vid i saw of you they didn't seem to look like that.

They look better than that. In fact, on the whole, that guy's about a 6 and I'm a 10.

-Rex

I'm with Wes.

They look better than that. In fact, on the whole, that guy's about a 6 and I'm a 10.

-Rex

That's not what my sister said, hahaha :tongue

-Rex

lmao, ok jose

My question is which exercises and routines did the real oldtimers (pre 1940) use to

build this incredible leg look of power ?

you answered you own question,

I read that Lemm could squat (ass to the grass in those days)

with over 500 lb.

Get your squat up and your legs will grow. In the last 4 months, all i have done for my legs is squats and i have put 2'' on them. In the middle of a squat session the other day they measured just over 33'' around the top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Platz, pftt. Best legs of all time go to "Capt" Kirk Karwoski

Freeze the video at 42 seconds - his legs are the same size as his waist :blink:blink:blink

1000 x 2 reps squat

umm what the hell? lol that guy has RIDICULOUS legs!

another guy who has some awesome leg development is Mirko Filipovic. he's not a weight lifter, he's a kick boxer and MMA fighter, but he's got some gigantic horse legs.

It depends how far back you go but squats were not a mainstay exercise for many way back due to the lack of squat stands etc. Still some pretty good development though.

My legs look about like that. Probably a bit bigger, and, because they belong to me, much sexier. Just do lots of squats. No mystery here.

-Rex

well Rex at least i have PROOF that my legs are that big what about you?

rico

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8969

-Rex

rico

ROFL, Rico, that's messed up :laugh :laugh :laugh

If I start squats, can I do that? :D

-Rex

rico

Lol! You had me for a second there :D