New Training Regimen Ideas

Geralt

Hey guys,

I am working on a new training schedule, regardless the outcome of my coming #3 cert. attempt.

I have done a lot of work in the last years and learned a lot, mostly what didn't work. However, my new approach is much more 'biofeedback' based and my first priority is basic gripstrength, and all over body besides proper recovery. Overloading approach is not meant to be for me.

I am not looking for specific programming ideas but just basic grip movements that work best in building more horsepower for the hands.

one of my experiences is that doing heavy gripping combined with arm movement, for instance Fatgripz curls, is very demanding on the tendons and thus prone to injury for me. So that's why I want to do more static gripping motions.

I will ditch grippers for a while and will do some specific work with them once every few weeks.

So far:

- Fatgripz Extreme bodyweight hangs;

I tried a few today and I got a time of 15 seconds before I lost it.

anyone experience with these? I am talking the Extreme's, so 2.75 Inch at a BW of 229 lbs/104 kg.

- Thickbar (of course) deadlifts, variations with farmers walks.

- Wristwork;

- 2HP and thumbscrews.

- wristcurls, primarily pointed at extensors.

- gripmachine (I want to do more with this thing just because I liked it very much. Nothing special)

I want to stick to basic motions (crush, pinch & open hand) and in my opinion less is more. It's more time saving and suits me better for fitting this in with everyday life.

The all over body sessions I am focused on trapbar deadlifts, shoulderpress, and squats. When I feel up to it I can do some armwork but it's not my main concern. Gripwise I am going to train one or two times per week at most. It's best for my recovery.

Anyway, if someone has a few ideas of good grip exercises, please feel welcome to write it up.

Thnx guys.

• Like 1

Finger Curls in the Power Rack.

Good one. Also a killer. Thanks. I also know that block weights are cool but they are simply too expensive to get over here. Edited by Geralt

Gerald, Gladiator Power ( 50226 Frechen, Deutschland ) sells block weights.

• Like 2

Good stuff on the extremes bw hangs. I'd push those hard, start doing pullups with them and eventually get weighted with them. That's part of my goal as well I think it has potential to pay off big. Good luck on the cert coming up as well! You got this!

Good stuff on the extremes bw hangs. I'd push those hard, start doing pullups with them and eventually get weighted with them. That's part of my goal as well I think it has potential to pay off big. Good luck on the cert coming up as well! You got this!

Hope so brother. My self confidence could be better but that's me lol. I have the tendency to have my strength all over the place. We'll see.

I like the ideas that have been presented here thus far, you can't go wrong focusing on general hand and forearm power. If I were to throw in some suggestions I'd say a little Vbar lifting here and there with a 2". Don't worry about max weight; find a good working weight (for me about 80% 1RM) and do holds for time - focusing on stopping the rotation and holding motionless. Also marathon rep sessions like the ones myself and Darrin Shallman have been doing will harden up your hands and build overall strength quickly.

The big key for you is to find out how to balance all these grip elements in at once and relearn how to heal. With all these different movements it can be hard to figure out frequency, but will be well worth it in the end. My migration away from grippers opened up a whole new world of grip strength for me.

• Like 1

I like the ideas that have been presented here thus far, you can't go wrong focusing on general hand and forearm power. If I were to throw in some suggestions I'd say a little Vbar lifting here and there with a 2". Don't worry about max weight; find a good working weight (for me about 80% 1RM) and do holds for time - focusing on stopping the rotation and holding motionless. Also marathon rep sessions like the ones myself and Darrin Shallman have been doing will harden up your hands and build overall strength quickly.

The big key for you is to find out how to balance all these grip elements in at once and relearn how to heal. With all these different movements it can be hard to figure out frequency, but will be well worth it in the end. My migration away from grippers opened up a whole new world of grip strength for me.

Good, good. I have the feeling I am starting all over again lol. Back to basics.

Good one. Also a killer. Thanks. I also know that block weights are cool but they are simply too expensive to get over here.

Sandwich multiple 10s together

Maybe try chezs approach to grip?

• Like 1

Plate Curls. My favourite exercise next to using a grip machine.

EDIT: dont forget hand extensors :)

Edited by alexjones234
  • Like 2

Good one. Also a killer. Thanks. I also know that block weights are cool but they are simply too expensive to get over here.

Sandwich multiple 10s together

Hey geralt,

First off good luck with the cert brother! I know you're ready :)

I also get pain afterward from doing dynamic exercise with fat gripz....but i found that neutral grip pull ups using them doesn't give me any problems. Also, maybe try out the iron bull 2.0s that cpw sells. It'spossible that the fat gripz extreme areunnecessarily wide for you.

Check out john brookfield's grip tips on ironmind...he has a lot of cool ideas with very little equipment needed!

• Like 2

Thnx Anthony. And yes I am maybe going to look for some smaller width gripz. Regarding the Brookfield tips, although a lot of them are good to fry the hands completely, I want to keep the training simple, effective and measurable in progression.

• Like 1

Nope, mentioned them already haha

I like the platecurls very much but I need to get rid of my damn right arm injury first grr.

Nope, mentioned them already haha

I like the platecurls very much but I need to get rid of my damn right arm injury first grr.

Do them with your left hand for now, serious.. ive got a tear in my left tricep and theres some exercises i cant do because it irritates the tendons. i try to keep both arms balanced as much as i can, but ive just got to work around it.

right arm will catch up eventually..

i also do the same with bag work if ive injured one arm. better to have some profit than none. something to consider..

Edited by alexjones234

I like throwing these in with a wrist curl and pause at the flexed position. Is this how you do them Chris or more just as a finger exercise? I do the wrist curl as well to help develop a lock for arm wrestling.

• Like 1

I do the hanging with body weight with fat grip extremez. I use a bar that is loose and spins that I turn to burn the forearms alittle.

I do this a local play ground.

I also use grip balls from Szabo inc, they come in soft , firm and hard. Large and Small.

http://www.szaboinc.com/edged_detail.asp?offset=10&ID=90

Ive used these back in the mid 90s, just started back again.

Also use therma bands , they help alot.

S/F,

CEYA!

Edited by Ceya!
  • Like 1

Nice, do you work grip in other ways and does the FG work complement that? The therma bands I'll have to Google.

I like throwing these in with a wrist curl and pause at the flexed position. Is this how you do them Chris or more just as a finger exercise? I do the wrist curl as well to help develop a lock for arm wrestling.
I know Andrew Durniat did them in training and was very positive on this one.