Paul Knight - Off Hand

EricMilfeld

Paul plans to make his attempt Saturday at Mighty Joe's place.

I can't wait!

Paul needs to do the cert VERY FIRST THING for obvious reasons!

Paul will be the first person ever to see the "Grip Wall of Fame" before it's actually completed.

Kill it "Paw!"

Not 100% confident, but I can't wait any longer ... I've long forgotten how hard the MM3 is, so I may be painfully reminded, but that's okay because I will at least know where I'm at which is a big motivator. If I barely miss, I will train my ass off to get that tiny little bit and go again .... If I miss by a mile, I will still train my ass off haha

• Like 1

Paul, lack of confidence (mentally) affects performance.

From this point forward up until tomorrow visualize this cert already COMPLETED.

Visualize the the whole process over and over in your mind with the HANDLES COMPLETELY

CLOSED!

By thinking you're not 100% confident you're sending your body a message and that message

is FAILURE! Not an option is the correct response!

This MM3 Off-Hand Cert is DONE my friend!

I can hear those handles clicking NOW!!!

The "Gripper Atmosphere" should give you an added BOOST!

MORE tomorrow...

Paul, lack of confidence (mentally) affects performance.

From this point forward up until tomorrow visualize this cert already COMPLETED.

Visualize the the whole process over and over in your mind with the HANDLES COMPLETELY

CLOSED!

By thinking you're not 100% confident you're sending your body a message and that message

is FAILURE! Not an option is the correct response!

This MM3 Off-Hand Cert is DONE my friend!

I can hear those handles clicking NOW!!!

The "Gripper Atmosphere" should give you an added BOOST!

MORE tomorrow...

I agreed, however, I don't want to be complacent and assume that it's a done deal and as a result, take it too lightly and don't muster up enough energy to close it. Make sense? Either way. it's all about releaseing as much adrenaline as possible before the attempt whether it be from nervousness or confidence ... I'd rther it be from confidence though.

video sent via Dropsend ....

Hope you got it Paul. You are truly blessed with you training results the last years.

2 whites, one red

Good!

I'll hopefully have the video up on the top right today.

Congrats!

Congratulations Paul. Way to power through the close. :chris: I hope you didn’t damage any internal organs!

Congrats Paul. That is an awesome accomplishment.

Awesome job paul but im curious to what the red light was for

One judge could not be 100% sure there was a touch.

Wow, that's beastly. The MM3 has stopped so many, with the dominant hand. Congrats dude.

Impressive! Big congrats.

thanks everyone ... I wish it could have been a more authoritative close, but it took everything I had ... no fireworks on that one. I'm tempted to re-cert because I prefer a unanimous desicion, but after thinking about it, I don't plan on stopping at the MM3 ... I'll simply redeem myself by continuing to work my way up the ladder if nothing stupid happens. My left elbow felt some strain after the MM3 because I don't think I've squeezed that hard on anything yet with my left, so an elbow problem would be a good example of "something stupid". However, if my elbow doesn't feel too bad after my next left hand workout this weekend, I may just go ahead and sign up for the MM4. Sounds to soon right? Actually, the MM4 isn't much harder than the MM3, so all it would take is a good day to close it, plus I'll specifically work beyond the range this weekend to give myself that extra closing power. Anywho, thanks again

Paul, I think I can shed some light on the issue of why you have the red flag. I am not being biased in your favor because I count you as my friend, but because the exact same thing happened to me! look at the angle of the sunlight. It is coming from behind the camera and slightly to the right. Now, notice where your left pinkie is. The handles are touching but this black shadow which is assumed to be a gap appears. This is because your pinkie is creating a minor shadow on the inside and topside bevealed edge at 1:53 that is tricking the the eye. But in this case you have to look at what is the true bevealed edge. And if you look at it the handle appears that the palm side bevealed edge is a straight vertical edge up and down and the beveled inner part of the palm side handle has been shaved off. This is in fact an optical illusion. What is happening is you are using sunlight from behind the fingers that casts shadows across the frame of the video. So the shadow of your pinkie is creating a distorting view of the bevealed edge which kind of throws off the eye's focus as well as the camera's but the important shadow to watch is from your left ring finger this is casting a shadow on the upper inner length of the handle and since the sun is coming from behind the camera from the right there is naturally going to be a shadow on the bottom of the inner palm side handle. Also, since you don't have the handle perfectly towards the camera the shadows on both the upper inner side and the lower inner side come into view in the background and appear to merge. As I said if you examine the bevealed edge of the palm side handle it looks verticle what is happening is that the shadows on either side appear to merge and since sunlight has one primary point and millions upon millions of refracted points outdoors thanks to our atmosphere, the handles appear not to touch and the shadows on either side only reinforce this idea. I am no judge but I have straight up grinded the handles on a gripper well below my high end ability for several seconds in sunlight that was coming from a 45 degree angle behind my pinkie that appeared to have this same gap. I could take it frame by frame and it always appeared not to touch but the sound of the handles repeatedly grinding and me seeing the handles at the point of filming confirmed that it is merely an illusion of the sunlight and specteral shadows and the relatively small area which actually makes contact between the handles and therefore blocks our view is further confused by sunlight from this angle in the late afternoon/evening. I'll make a video close with a light gripper that I can grind from two different angles outside and you will know what I am talking about. For future reference don't film a close in the late afternoon/evening with the sun coming over the fingers as it just isn't the same as a fixed point that natural light indoors provides. lol sorry about the lengthy post but I try to explain these simple concepts as clearly as possible.

-Jordan

Paul, I think I can shed some light on the issue of why you have the red flag. I am not being biased in your favor because I count you as my friend, but because the exact same thing happened to me! look at the angle of the sunlight. It is coming from behind the camera and slightly to the right. Now, notice where your left pinkie is. The handles are touching but this black shadow which is assumed to be a gap appears. This is because your pinkie is creating a minor shadow on the inside and topside bevealed edge at 1:53 that is tricking the the eye. But in this case you have to look at what is the true bevealed edge. And if you look at it the handle appears that the palm side bevealed edge is a straight vertical edge up and down and the beveled inner part of the palm side handle has been shaved off. This is in fact an optical illusion. What is happening is you are using sunlight from behind the fingers that casts shadows across the frame of the video. So the shadow of your pinkie is creating a distorting view of the bevealed edge which kind of throws off the eye's focus as well as the camera's but the important shadow to watch is from your left ring finger this is casting a shadow on the upper inner length of the handle and since the sun is coming from behind the camera from the right there is naturally going to be a shadow on the bottom of the inner palm side handle. Also, since you don't have the handle perfectly towards the camera the shadows on both the upper inner side and the lower inner side come into view in the background and appear to merge. As I said if you examine the bevealed edge of the palm side handle it looks verticle what is happening is that the shadows on either side appear to merge and since sunlight has one primary point and millions upon millions of refracted points outdoors thanks to our atmosphere, the handles appear not to touch and the shadows on either side only reinforce this idea. I am no judge but I have straight up grinded the handles on a gripper well below my high end ability for several seconds in sunlight that was coming from a 45 degree angle behind my pinkie that appeared to have this same gap. I could take it frame by frame and it always appeared not to touch but the sound of the handles repeatedly grinding and me seeing the handles at the point of filming confirmed that it is merely an illusion of the sunlight and specteral shadows and the relatively small area which actually makes contact between the handles and therefore blocks our view is further confused by sunlight from this angle in the late afternoon/evening. I'll make a video close with a light gripper that I can grind from two different angles outside and you will know what I am talking about. For future reference don't film a close in the late afternoon/evening with the sun coming over the fingers as it just isn't the same as a fixed point that natural light indoors provides. lol sorry about the lengthy post but I try to explain these simple concepts as clearly as possible.

-Jordan

Jordan, you are absolutely correct on this!

Initially I told Paul we could do the cert indoors and I was going to use cross-lighting from

my photography equipment to eliminate this problem. When Paul was enroute to my house

I noticed my bulbs are missing from my photography lights. I had forgot that I loaned the bulbs

to a photographer friend.

The plan was to do the cert inside my room where my gripper collection resides and use them

as the background. With cross lighting shadows are cancelled out by this set-up.

Thanks for going to the trouble to mention and explain this.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Jordan, you are absolutely correct on this!

Initially I told Paul we could do the cert indoors and I was going to use cross-lighting from

my photography equipment to eliminate this problem. When Paul was enroute to my house

I noticed my bulbs are missing from my photography lights. I had forgot that I loaned the bulbs

to a photographer friend.

The plan was to do the cert inside my room where my gripper collection resides and use them

as the background. With cross lighting shadows are cancelled out by this set-up.

Thanks for going to the trouble to mention and explain this.

Sounds like your set-up is much better than mine Joe. BTW I think you have an awesome collection and 1000 grippers is a cool goal! The poor man's way that I do a clear video is I have the white lights in my garage and then I hold my gripper over the white table where the saws are to provide a reflection that really shows the handles well. For a cert you might find a small portable white surface such as a small table or maybe a bar stool with a sheet of paper taped to the top. Then hold the gripper over this and position the camera as you normally would. Solid close Paul! it looks like you may someday be the only man in the world on the level 7 with your right and left hand.

-Jordan