Grippers With One Smooth And One Knurled Handle

truth1ness

I was curious what the reasoning is for some of the adjustable grippers like the Vulcan and some of the similar RB models to have one knurled and one smooth handle. Do you like this combo? It's usually the finger side that is smooth, are you supposed to let your fingers slide over the handle as they curl closed? Is there something about the adjustable grippers that makes them like having one smooth handle (or two smooth handles like the Ivanko)?

To the best of my knowledge, all Vulcans (excluding Deathgrip, which I think has light knurling on hand side) have been smooth on both handles.

The only RB adjustable that has knurling on one side has grooves on the other and has an optional extended handle.

Can you clarify which grippers you are talking about?

To answer your question, some people like lighter knurling on the finger side (GHP has this) because the handle is actually meant to move down the fingers a bit.

With a very knurled handle, the skin will be soon gone.

On the palm side, it's optimal to have the handle stationary. This is why the heavier knurling would be best here.

So to amend my question, what's the thinking behind going with two smooth handles with the Vulcan gripper when it seems to be modeled after TSG grippers with knurling and folks that are used to closing knurled TSG's? The Ivanko is the other popular adjustable gripper and they also seem to have gone with the smooth handles on both sides.

You just love that Ivanko, don't you? :grin:

I think the two smooth handles were meant to allow more training to be done, by not tearing up the skin. It also makes it more difficult to close, providing a different means of overload to the hands. The RB adjustables (the regular ones, not the fancy ones with the add-ons) have knurling on both handles.