Redo: One Arm Dumbbell Military Press

hellswindstaff

On my computer now. this should work.....

Very smooth!!! I think you have more weight in you. Did you try 105 or 110?

On my computer now. this should work.....

Very smooth!!! I think you have more weight in you. Did you try 105 or 110?

Yeah I have more in me but video recording while pressing takes a lot of concentration away from the actual press! After doing this vid I went back to doing them with both hands. Getting 80x3 and 70x6. Last time I did a single arm standing db press with any weight was like 07.

I would say 115 would be max. I actually failed with my left just before lockout though.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for not wearing a longer shirt. 119.5# righty!

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 3

Looked easy. If I ever run into you, I'll have to hide behind bigger objects so you don't one arm press me.

1.9" OD water pipe from Home Despot with 2" muffler clamps from Autozone. I like the fatter diameters on things because it's a lot easier on my knuckles.

• 6 months later...

Do you do any other types of pressing or just one arm presses?

Various kinds of benching - with bands, wide grip, kbs hanging from bar for stabilizers, dumbbell flat & incline

Overhead - I mix in swiss bar, and kettlebell one arm presses. I haven't been doing a lot of kb presses lately because they put a lot of stress on the forearm extensors, and then I find my grip weaking. Even with the 'kettleshields' that Valery is selling. Sometimes lift atlas stones overhead.

Rehab/prehab: indian clubs, kb halos, rotator cuff movements with bands & light kbs. I have also found up right rows the way JL Holdsworth describes them to be helpful lately.

I'm not a stellar presser, but I'm happy considering age, wear & tear.

• Like 1

Rehab/prehab: I have also found up right rows the way JL Holdsworth describes them to be helpful lately.

Could you elaborate some more? So you don't do any type of rack work?

TY! :grin:

Rehab/prehab: I have also found up right rows the way JL Holdsworth describes them to be helpful lately.

JL only advocates URRs to the sternum, not any higher than that, because it starts turning the exercise into a delt exercise for external rotation, etc. and he says in URRs you're targeting traps primarily. I find that they help with the initiation of the one arm overhead press.

I don't do any type of rack work for overhead press. I always clean whatever it is off the floor/ground. That's not to say rack work isn't effective, I just don't happen to do it, partly because my garage ceiling is too low.

How is your overhead pressing going?

JL only advocates

JL only advocates URRs to the sternum, not any higher than that, because it starts turning the exercise into a delt exercise for external rotation, etc. and he says in URRs you're targeting traps primarily. I find that they help with the initiation of the one arm overhead press.

I don't do any type of rack work for overhead press. I always clean whatever it is off the floor/ground. That's not to say rack work isn't effective, I just don't happen to do it, partly because my garage ceiling is too low.

s to the sternum, not any higher than that, because it starts turning the exercise into a delt exercise for external rotation, etc. and he says in URRs you're targeting traps primarily. I find that they help with the initiation of the one arm overhead press.

I've been stuck at an ugly 70lbs one arm oh press for a while and started rack work to determine the exact sticking point. I found it yesterday and am just going to go belligerent with isometric work. I think that this should yield some pretty good results.

One thing I experimented with is doing a 'dynamic' overhead press day by tying a band to a db of about 1/2 my max, with the band giving enough tension at the top to be near my max. Then I tried to explode up. I made progress, but the way my shoulder rotates on db presses, it started to aggravate it. I think with kb presses it would have been ideal. Don't know if you're going for db or kb presses. I might experiment with chains at some point later this year.

Found JL's vid. If you haven't ever watched these technique videos, they are a gold mine.

• Like 1

It's good to see this movement getting the attention it deserves! It's helped me build my overhead press the most of any lift, strengthened my shoulder stabilizers, and has helped me even out my upper body.

Plus JL does 'em for huge traps, so there has to be something to them :)

• Like 1