315lb Squat

David Mitti

Great job David, you looked really fast out of the hole and only slowed a little at the halfway point. I think your good for another 25 lbs honestly!

• Like 2

Congrats Dave! I got a feeling this is only the beginning for you

Thanks for taking a look Tom!

Always appreciate your support..

Level achieved. Your vacation is approved.

Hahaha,

Thanks Shark! I need this Vaca!!

• Like 1

Great job David, you looked really fast out of the hole and only slowed a little at the halfway point. I think your good for another 25 lbs honestly!

Thanks Frank!!

Really feels good to get my weakness strengthened up a bit..

Good squat man, who knows what my max is.... I've never been a good squatter I just do them for volume

Congrats on the PR! You've got good depth on those. You look like the leverages aren't the easiest for squatting (relatively long femurs), so all the better getting it done!

Nice brotha, beard power!

gratulations on your personal record

whoa, nice lift. Im always jealous of guys squatting big weight and to me this is big weight. I ripped both my ACL's and will not squat, ever.

The hip and leg drive out of the hole looked really good.

If I may, that stall indicates to me that you might need to work on your lat strength (as it relates to squating and deadlifting). What you might consider doing, is after you finish your squats, set your rack pins to just below your kneecap right--or just below--that prominant bump on the top of your tibia (the tibial tuberosity) and do your pulls. As you are doing this to train your lats, it would probably be easiest to use straps. Then you could certainly do dumbbell (or row handle) rows to finish off. Training your lats in that manner (or something similar) should adress that stall in the middle of the lift.

Anyhow, just a suggestion.

• Like 2

If I may, that stall indicates to me that you might need to work on your lat strength (as it relates to squating and deadlifting). What you might consider doing, is after you finish your squats, set your rack pins to just below your kneecap right--or just below--that prominant bump on the top of your tibia (the tibial tuberosity) and do your pulls. As you are doing this to train your lats, it would probably be easiest to use straps. Then you could certainly do dumbbell (or row handle) rows to finish off. Training your lats in that manner (or something similar) should adress that stall in the middle of the lift.

Very interesting.

Thanks EJ!

Yeah squat has always been tough for me.

Trying to implement the if you suck at it do it more ..lol

Appreciate your thoughts bro!!

I haven't been doing really anything lately for my late so this does seem like a big possibility to my problem..

Thanks again bro! Time to get the lats going...

Very interesting.

Yeah man, its facinating.

If you look at the anatomy of the Latissimus Dorsi, it originates from T7 all the way down to the tip of the tail bone (just about) and inserts at the arm (see http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/meded/grossanatomy/dissector/mml/lat.htm). That being said, if you do not have a strong lat, you don't transfer force from your pelvis to your shoulders efficiently. This looks like that stall in Mitti's squat, or a stall at or just above the knees in the deadlift. Usually, if left unadressed, that leads to an injured lat, which feels like a low back injury (because it is, but not the kind everyone thinks first). That's because your lower lat takes most of the abuse with the force transfer in a hip hinge movement, so it usually tightens up first.

My brother has been taking it easy on his lat training while doing reps with the deadlift (he got 6 @ 495), and recently, that caught up with him. After switching gears to max out (dropping to three rep sets), he was doing his normal workout and he "tweeked" his low back (the term we use for creating a pissed and tight muscle). He continued his workout, but had to drop the rack pulls because they were making it worse (imagine that). Within a few days, he couldn't bend at the waist and was in an extreme amount of discomfort.

So he came to me (I'm cheaper than the massage therapist we know). Because I was there when it happened (I recommended he discontinue the rack pulls for that workout), I recommended he foam roll his lat--it's always really funny to watch him find the tight spot with the foam roller, but I won't say anything more about that. After he finished, his whole back losened up and he could move his torso again.

I told him to pound the crap out of his lats, and I haven't heard any more complaints.

The only thing that I would add, is that like I said, hip hinge movements will make the lats stronger, but they also tend to make them tighter too. That's why you should also be doing an exercise that stretches the lats and pumps a dump-truck load of blood into them; it insures they will be ready to get pounded again next time (hence my suggestion of the rack pulls, AND the one arm rows). Usually, my brother and I will separate the rack pulls and the one-arm rows by a few hours to make sure we get the most weight for the most reps on each exercise.

Thanks EJ!

Yeah squat has always been tough for me.

Trying to implement the if you suck at it do it more ..lol

Appreciate your thoughts bro!!

I haven't been doing really anything lately for my late so this does seem like a big possibility to my problem..

Thanks again bro! Time to get the lats going...

Anytime man!!! Good luck on your squat training!!!

• 1 month later...

Nice one! Congrats man! I think you may have just motivated me to switch up my workout for today. Heavy legs it is!!

• 3 weeks later...

Good solid lift, congrats on achieving your goal