Chest Expanders

h3X

Hey

What do you guys think about chest expanders for working out together with a barbell? I like the idea of variable resistance, and if the good old strongmen of yesteryear used them, it adds a certain 'cool' factor (for me anyway).

I'm planning to invest in an olympic bar, the only brand I have used is Eleiko, can you recommend any others?

Cheers,

Lennart

Hey

What do you guys think about chest expanders for working out together with a barbell? I like the idea of variable resistance, and if the good old strongmen of yesteryear used them, it adds a certain 'cool' factor (for me anyway).

I'm planning to invest in an olympic bar, the only brand I have used is Eleiko, can you recommend any others?

Cheers,

Lennart

I use expander bands, they are useful.

As far as a bar- I use a Texas Power Bar, and it is certainly one of my best purchases in the last few years for equipment. I have loaded it well past 1,500 lbs, and unloaded it is as straight as the day i got it. great quality, rugged construction, and reasonibly priced IMO.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if i find a local dealer.

Do you know if the expanders work well for training for any specific feats of strength that weights aren't as good for?

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if i find a local dealer.

Do you know if the expanders work well for training for any specific feats of strength that weights aren't as good for?

Ask your question a different way- what are you trying to do?

Hey

Cheers,

Lennart

i have used chest expanders for a few years and found them to be a great shooulder workout. in th e begining i used to just use my CE but now i do the CE workout as a warm up before most if not all of my workouts no matter if its straight weights or kettlebells or grip. as for bars you should check out ironmind.com, they have a lot of great stuff. have fun and good luck!

• 4 years later...

BUMP on this thread instead of creating a new one..

i have a complete set of Chest Expanders that I bought from the act of a impulse.

i do not know how I should train with them. Any tips on resources on the web or books? Is Brookfields book "Training with cables" worthy of buying? It would be nice to train with the set in my apartment

I like chest expanders though I feel it interferes with my barbell work. Best source is the book by fatman http://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf. I like the front chest pull and over head pull down as my favorite 2 exercises.

Thanks man! That ebook seems really awesome.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun