Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Today:

KBPress: 103# 4 x 1 bh

PUs: BW+57# 5,4,3,2,2

DL: 425# Axle, mixed grip, sumo, 5, 3, 2

Today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5 < PR! going for 295# x 5 next week.

Back Squat: 135# x 15; 185# x 10; 225# x 5; 245# x 5 < got a video of some of these, and I'm not getting to depth, so time to work on hip mobility. But I didn't see any lumbar flexion, so at least I have that ;-).

• 3 weeks later...

Various things have been preventing me from posting, but here's some recent work:

Yesterday:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# x 5

Back Squat: 135# 2 x 10; 185# x 5; 225# x 5; 245# x 5

Today (so far):

DBPress: 98# 4 x (1,2)

2HP (57mm): 123# x 10; 293# (1.5, 2, 2, 2, 1.5) < thumbs started bleeding again.

More on deck after other responsibilities.

2HP (57mm): 293# (1.5, 2, 2, 2, 1.5) < thumbs started bleeding again.

293# will amputate most thumbs. :-)

Big correction! 193# Was trying to hurry up and take care of some other things. My apologies for the excitement :flowers:

DBPress: 98# 5 x 1

PullUps: BW + 57# 6, 5, 5, 4, 3

DeadLifts: 430# Axle, Mixed Grip, Sumo 2 x 5

Edited by bwwm

Today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 5, 3 < losing some momentum on bench, and tweaked upper left pec today. Newb gains are probably over.

ZSquat: 135# 2 x 10; 185# x 5; 225# x 5; 245# x 5 < felt pretty strong today on these.

295 x 5 is pretty awesome Martin!

Thanks Jason! According to the most conservative max rep calculator, that puts my max at about 330#. Will have to try that out some day when I have a spotter.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 2 x 5 < going for 5, 5, 3 on the 295# next week.

Z Squat: 135# 2 x 10; 185# x 5; 225# 2 x 5

Today:

2HP Shallow Grip: 173# 5x3; 2 < using a shallow grip to avoid thumb tears. Seems to be working, but weight is less, cuz it's harder.

DBPress: 98# 5 x (1,2)

PU: BW+57# 6,5,4,3,3 < these seem to have sprung back to life. Hoping to get back to 7 and progress to 8.

DL: Sumo Axle (mixed grip) 425# 2 x 5

Also did some thumbless Fat Grip BB Holds: 225# 3 holds around 20 sec. each 245# 3 holds around 9 sec each < don't remember exact numbers but have them written down in my paper log. Just too lazy to go find it at this hour. :sleeping:

Strong stuff Martin. Bench is moving up good.

Thanks Jason! Progress has slowed, but it's progress nonetheless.

Upright rows:

115# 3 grips x 7 reps each

135# 3 grips x 7 reps each

155# 3 grips x 7 reps each

Barbell Shrugs:

225# x 20

315# x 15

405# x 6

sorry for the sporadic updates. hoping to post more grip workouts as I'm learning new things. Had a revelation of how my thumb works, and how I should position my hand on the TTK. Have also been seeing good gains on and as a result of doing thumbless fat gripz holds for time.

Today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 5, 4 (had a leg cramp that prevented a 5th rep), 3, 3

Back Squat: 135# 2 x 10; 225# x 5; 245# x 5;

• Like 1

Grip:

2HP - shallow hold 173#; 6 x 3 <- experimented with having hands wider apart for the shallow hold (shallow hold to avoid bleeding thumbs)

DB Press: (1,2,3); 4 x (1,2)

PU: BW+57# 6, 6, 4 1/2, 4, 3 < got a little sloppy on the third set.

Thanks to work, didn't have time this evening for DLs :angry2:

Today:

PU: BW+57# 7,6,5,4,3 < getting back to PR territory

DL: Sumo, Axle, Mixed Grip, 435# 5, 4, 1

Tomorrow will include some gripper work, and hopefully some nice lifts of the Gracie DB.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Got a bit sick in the afternoon. After it worked it's way out of my system, and I took a nap, I did some light work and some grip.

Wide Grip Bench: 135# 3 x 10; 185# 3 x 10

Gracie DB: Got a few full lifts with my right hand, and then mostly worked on holds with one finger on the globe, for as long as I could stand - 6 reps of this both sides. Took a few times to figure out how best to hold it to avoid the bell getting support from the thigh, etc.

50lb blob: Got good lifts (about 5 or 6) both hands, once I warmed up. Had a few hops at the start and at the end. Going to start working the 50# hex blob into this. 50# hex is close to coming off the ground.

JM Presses: 135# 2 x 10; 185# x 10

Glob Gripz BB curls: 85# 2 x 10; 105# 2 x 7

Did some sledge sup & pro work, and some front & back levers. Choked 8lb hammers.

Today:

DBPress: 98# (1,2), 4 x 1

PU: BW+57# 7,6,5,4,4

Dimels: 235# +40# chain 2 x 20, conv, oly

Some Mormon boys stopped by on their bikes while I was warming up. They started asking me what I was doing, so I told them. I told them "I am going to lift that 98# db", and I asked them if they wanted to try. Their response was, oh sure, I can lift that. I said "over your head with one arm?". So with two hands they each managed to get it up to their shoulder. Which is pretty good, considering it's a 2" handle. The Gracie was a few feet away, so I showed them how to lift that and both of them were floored by how hard it was to pick up. They were like "oh, so you don't go to a gym", and I said "nope, I got all sorts of neat stuff in my yard." Then I took them over to the atlas stones, and they were a bit disappointed it was so hard to grip the light one. I think the next time they come back, I'm going to introduce them to some bending and sledge levering.

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 3

They were going to offer to help me do yard work, but they quickly came to the realization that I probably don't need any help.

If they get too pushy I will just offer to take them to downtown Phoenix with me to go find a random homeless guy on the street, and buy him lunch.

• Like 1

So far today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 3 x 5 < PR - think I'll try for 4 x 5 next week, and then go for 305# after that...

I think Zercher squats are on deck after work related activities.

Z-squats: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 245# x 5 < rt knee is feeling a little weird. It was sore after sumo DLs the other day. Think I will bring this up at the next MD visit.

Today:

DB Press: 98# (1,2,3,4) 4 x (1,2,3)

Grippers: worked up to 20mm closes of the #3 righty. finding 20mm is slightly more difficult than parallel recently.

Dynamic Bench: 155# + grey bands: 3 sets of 3 grips x 3 reps < not as snappy as I would like to see, so going to warm up more next time, and stay at this level of resistance

Dynamic Pinch: 15# 10 rbh, 2 levels; 20# 10 rbh, 2 levels; tried 25# today, but was too smoked after events earlier in the day

Also did some stretches/calf raises/heel lifts to ward of PF.

Training inspiration for this Wednesday:

• Like 1