What Gripper Should I Get

Bill Piche

Anyhow..my HG300 is a bit over 2 1/2" spread and definately harder than my BBSM (which is a lightly seasoned 2.79" spread) and seems closer to my BBGM.

My HG300 seems a bit tougher than what I've read others have at my spread, but a safe bet is that if you have a HG300 in the 2 5/8" spread range it likely is inbetween a BBSM and normal #3.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. I hope I get a similar hg300 as yours - that would be perfect for my current grip strenght.

HG 200 - Slightly harder than #1

HG 250 - Slightly Easier than #2

----------------------

^^ yeah. just posting to verify LEFT SIDES very helpful post (which I used) that, as i gave a bunch of the HG's as stocking stuffers and kept the HG250 and HG300 for myself.

I am working on #2, and without thinking closed the HG250 but still 3/4 cm from closing #2.

HG 200 (little harder than #1 seems rather close to the HG 250),

• 2 months later...
Any ideas how RB-handgrippers would rank in that list?

Which RB's are you interested in ? I have or have used and bought for friends, most of the easier ones and some of the hard ones and many guys here own many of the hardest ones.

.. neilkaz ..

Well, I think it would benefit us all, if there was a table including all of them+all the major brands in the same listing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this question from another thread about BB grippers, and I think it's relevant here:

My BB grippers break down as follows:

BBSA: 1.3

BBM: 1.8

BBSM: 2.4

BBGM 2.8

I guess I got lucky and all my BB grippers were easy ones. They make great stepping stones.

Scott, I wonder if it is luck, because I got a BBSA in the hopes that it would be over halfway between #1 & #2, but it really doesn't feel very much harder than my #1 at all.

Does the list on "Which Gripper Should I Get" thread need to be updated? Are the BeefBuilder grippers a bit lighter in resistance than before?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to know from where i measure the "spread" of the grippers ?

If i measure it from (look at the picture below) :

Click Here

Then i get a spread of 3.03" (inches) (7.7cm) with my HG250.

Is this correct place to measure from ?

Edited by Soban

Maybe I am not measuring mine correctly, but I always thought one is supposed to measure exactly from the spot at the end of the chamfer (diagonal part at near the ends of the handles, intended to prevent you from cutting a finger) ..ie exactly where the two handles meet when the gripper is closed. I'm not certain if that is what you show in your diagram. 3" is really big for HG250's unless something has changed recently. I had one that was less than 2 3/8" unseasoned right out of the package, and as is common with HG's seasoned down to quite narrow.

.. neilkaz ..

Hello,

I would like to know from where i measure the "spread" of the grippers ?

If i measure it from (look at the picture below) :

Click Here

Then i get a spread of 3.03" (inches) (7.7cm) with my HG250.

Is this correct place to measure from ?

Yeah i have my HG150 HG250, i ordered them this year basically. They both have nearly the same 3" spread, although the HG150 is now 3.1" because i have filed the edge to make the "beyond the range gripper" before i think was below 3"...

I used both a ruler and the caliper looking thing which you slide and has 2 metal points which is more precise.

edit - I have ordered my HeavyGrips from www.myopure.com.au the australian one, and had my HG250 for 3 months + now and used lots.

Edited by Soban

Yeah i have my HG150 HG250, i ordered them this year basically. They both have nearly the same 3" spread, although the HG150 is now 3.1" because i have filed the edge to make the "beyond the range gripper" before i think was below 3"...

I used both a ruler and the caliper looking thing which you slide and has 2 metal points which is more precise.

edit - I have ordered my HeavyGrips from www.myopure.com.au the australian one, and had my HG250 for 3 months + now and used lots.

Man, I don't know how you got such wide HG's. My HG250 & 300 both started out almost 2 3/4" and are now 2 1/4".

Hahah..... I screwed up bad. I was about to fall asleep then i rememebered my grippers and then suddenly remembered how i measured them.

My tape measure corner has a metal bit which sticks out too much so i started from 1cm. The caliper (the metal ruler with 2 slidy long metal bits which you slide used for woodwork etc) i have is slightly bent so i also started at 1cm.....

I went back to check and i was right the spread is 6.7cm not 7.7cm

So that makes them a crappy 2.63779528 inch spread. :D

My bad lol

Edited by Soban

Hahah..... I screwed up bad. I was about to fall asleep then i rememebered my grippers and then suddenly remembered how i measured them.

My tape measure corner has a metal bit which sticks out too much so i started from 1cm. The caliper (the metal ruler with 2 slidy long metal bits which you slide used for woodwork etc) i have is slightly bent so i also started at 1cm.....

I went back to check and i was right the spread is 6.7cm not 7.7cm

So that makes them a crappy 2.63779528 inch spread. :D

My bad lol

OK this makes much more sense. 2 5/8" is not a crappy spread, but a really convenient one for us guys that aren't blessed with huge hands. Mine are 7 1/2" and spreads more than 2 7/8" aren't appreciated by me.

.. neilkaz ..

My hands are 8.11" from wrist to middle finger, but from thumb to smallest finger is 9.25" and i am 5'7" in height.

I think i have good size hands for my height... but i wouldnt mind a bigger gripper :P

• 1 month later...

I would guess that my Ironmind grippers are tough and my BeefBuilder grippers are easy based on how my BeefBuilders compare to my Captains of Crush grippers. Here's my ranking based on my own grippers.

CoC Guide (-2)

CoC Sport (-1)

CoC Trainer (0)

CoC No. 1 (1)

BB Master (1.8)

CoC No. 2 (2)

BB Grand Master (2.5)

BB Elite (2.8)

CoC No. 3 (3)

BB Super Elite (3.2)

BB Grand Elite (3.7)

CoC No. 4 (4)

BB Pro (4.2)

BB World Class (5)

BB Galaxy (6)

Are these rankings of BB compared to IM unusual?

Usually the Grand master is around a #3, but sometimes easier, the Super Master is around 2.5, elite around 3.2-3.3. You probably have very easy BB's.

• 1 month later...
I would guess that my Ironmind grippers are tough and my BeefBuilder grippers are easy based on how my BeefBuilders compare to my Captains of Crush grippers. Here's my ranking based on my own grippers.

CoC Guide (-2)

CoC Sport (-1)

CoC Trainer (0)

CoC No. 1 (1)

BB Master (1.8)

CoC No. 2 (2)

BB Grand Master (2.5)

BB Elite (2.8)

CoC No. 3 (3)

BB Super Elite (3.2)

BB Grand Elite (3.7)

CoC No. 4 (4)

BB Pro (4.2)

BB World Class (5)

BB Galaxy (6)

Revised to include the grippers that I have in addition to the ones I already had and updates on the rankings. I'll explain the updates on the bottom. I'll revise this again once I get my BBSM and my BBSG.

Wal-Mart Gripper (-4) (Note: A -3 ranking gripper would be a "super heavy duty" store bought gripper)

CoC Guide (-2)

CoC Sport (-1)

CoC Trainer (0)

CoC No. 1 (1)

BB Super Advanced (1.2)

BB Master (1.8)

CoC No. 2 (2)

BB Grand Master (2.6)

CoC No. 3 (3)

BB Elite (3.1)

BB Super Elite (3.4)

BB Grand Elite (3.7)

CoC No. 4 (4)

BB Pro (4.4)

BB World Class (5)

BB Galaxy (6)

Before I didn't have the strength to do more than a couple reps (actually singles with 5 minute breaks) with my #3, so I thought when I just barely got my Elite for one, it was an off day. It was actually that neither the #3 nor the Elite were seasonsed, plus I didn't have enough strength yet for comparison. Once the #3 got seasoned, the BBGM turned out to be a 2.6. The Elite feels more like a 3.1 than a 2.8, since I can actually chest crush the #3 for more full reps than the Elite. After the BBSA got seasoned down, it felt more like a 1.2 than a 1.3. Now that I have more chest crush strength, I can rate the higher grippers better. The Pro feels more like a 4.4 than anywhere near a #4 equivilent. The World Class and Galaxy are what I assume Ironmind would make their #5 and #6 closest to if they ever made thoses sizes, and the Super Galaxy will most likely rank a 7. I also predict that the BBSM will rank close to a #2, but signifficantly harder.

So where do you rank the Super Master? You have Master at 1.8, Grand Master at 2.6. Super Master is supposed to be in-between those two.

Never mind, I just read your last sentence.

Edited by TelegraphKey

So where do you rank the Super Master? You have Master at 1.8, Grand Master at 2.6. Super Master is supposed to be in-between those two.

Never mind, I just read your last sentence.

I just got the Super Master about a week ago and I'd rate it a 2.2, pretty much having the feel of a tough #2. I wonder why all of my BeefBuilder grippers except the Master rank so far below what most others say. My theory is either I get consistantly easy BeefBuilders or the GR8 spring is tougher than the regular spring, and this skews my perceptions (also this is combined with my #3 and #4 both having 3 1/8" spreads), since I've never handled a pre-2005 Ironmind gripper. Usually I hear people ranking their Super Masters at what I ranked my Grand Master, if not harder, and I've heard some rank their Grand Masters what I've rated my Elite, the average Elite rating seems to be where I've rated by Super Elite, and the average Super Elite rating is where I rated my Grand Elite. I'm not sure what most people would rate the Pro, but I'd guess 4.4 would be pretty low. The Super Galaxy's going to be coming in the mail soon, but I think it's safe to say I'll rank it a 7. :cool

Edited by MVillani1985

CoC Guide (-2)

CoC Sport (-1)

CoC Trainer (0)

CoC No. 1 (1)

BB Master (1.8)

CoC No. 2 (2)

BB Grand Master (2.5)

BB Elite (2.8)

CoC No. 3 (3)

BB Super Elite (3.2)

BB Grand Elite (3.7)

CoC No. 4 (4)

BB Pro (4.2)

BB World Class (5)

BB Galaxy (6)

Revised to include the grippers that I have in addition to the ones I already had and updates on the rankings. I'll explain the updates on the bottom. I'll revise this again once I get my BBSM and my BBSG.

Wal-Mart Gripper (-4) (Note: A -3 ranking gripper would be a "super heavy duty" store bought gripper)

CoC Guide (-2)

CoC Sport (-1)

CoC Trainer (0)

CoC No. 1 (1)

BB Super Advanced (1.2)

BB Master (1.8)

CoC No. 2 (2)

BB Grand Master (2.6)

CoC No. 3 (3)

BB Elite (3.1)

BB Super Elite (3.4)

BB Grand Elite (3.7)

CoC No. 4 (4)

BB Pro (4.4)

BB World Class (5)

BB Galaxy (6)

Before I didn't have the strength to do more than a couple reps (actually singles with 5 minute breaks) with my #3, so I thought when I just barely got my Elite for one, it was an off day. It was actually that neither the #3 nor the Elite were seasonsed, plus I didn't have enough strength yet for comparison. Once the #3 got seasoned, the BBGM turned out to be a 2.6. The Elite feels more like a 3.1 than a 2.8, since I can actually chest crush the #3 for more full reps than the Elite. After the BBSA got seasoned down, it felt more like a 1.2 than a 1.3. Now that I have more chest crush strength, I can rate the higher grippers better. The Pro feels more like a 4.4 than anywhere near a #4 equivilent. The World Class and Galaxy are what I assume Ironmind would make their #5 and #6 closest to if they ever made thoses sizes, and the Super Galaxy will most likely rank a 7. I also predict that the BBSM will rank close to a #2, but signifficantly harder.

Probably the most accurate ratings are for the BBSA, BBM, and BBSM since I can either close or nearly close with one hand, the ones above that rely entirely on chest crushing.

• 1 year later...
Is there much diff. in the hg250 and rb160

HGs vary A LOT plus they season A LOT. Also HGs are pretty narrow while RBs are a regular spread. They both have completely different feels as far as pretty much everything. Strengthwise, I wouldn't know because I don't have a 160 I have a 180 which is said to be pretty similar. but I'd recommend a RB over a HG anyday.

Edited by vikingsrule92