Prosup = Elbow Kryptonite?

Anthony C.

So I've noticed that when training pronation/supination movements, unless I'm going very high rep (50+), the next day I end up with elbow pain. It doesn't matter if I'm working with a sledge, the wrist thingy, or a dumbbell loaded on one side. Whenever I try to step up the resistance and get some strength work in, it seems my elbows are just done for about two days after. I know that a balanced wrist is key to doing well in almost every grip lift and I want to focus more time doing this, but not if it's just going to make me hurt. Any advice?

I've had movement patterns that I'm terrible at that have done the same thing. I've found I need a break in period where I work the pattern, take a break and heal then come back for more; Repeated till the movement feels good. For me it was reverse bending, barbell curls and wheel rollouts. Be careful though I always felt I was flirting with destruction when doing this.

• Like 2

I know I always ask this, but are keeping up with extensor work Anthony? It really helps keep issues at bay. I have done extensor work several time this week to help recover from the King Kong Comp.

I've had movement patterns that I'm terrible at that have done the same thing. I've found I need a break in period where I work the pattern, take a break and heal then come back for more; Repeated till the movement feels good. For me it was reverse bending, barbell curls and wheel rollouts. Be careful though I always felt I was flirting with destruction when doing this.

Interesting...so you're saying I should continue to just break myself in with high reps until I'm used to it and can start going heavier?

I know I always ask this, but are keeping up with extensor work Anthony? It really helps keep issues at bay. I have done extensor work several time this week to help recover from the King Kong Comp.

Yep, I do extensor work almost everyday while sitting at my desk

Sounds like your joint is dry. Do you take any fish oil or anything. You could take a teaspoon of olive oil every other day and see if you get any relief. I believe this is something that needs to be healed from the inside out.

• Like 1

I second this. When I started using the thingie, it seemed to only aggravate my tendinitis. It wasn't until I committed myself to fully heal and rest did things improve. IMO elbow exercises are not effective at healing injuries but rather preventing them once you're healed.

If you're having problems with your elbows, the best solution is to let the inflamed or even damaged tendons heal with rest.

If its not tendinitis then stick with the high reps, after a while I built a tolerance to these once very aggravating movements.

Thank you for the comments, guys. Im gonna stick with it and try to go lower volume and just ease into it. As for diet, yep I take four 1g fish oil caps a day, cook using organic coconut oil and put a tablespoon of orgo extra virgin olive oil into my morning shake everyday. Definitely try to take care of my joints best I can!

Thank you for the comments, guys. Im gonna stick with it and try to go lower volume and just ease into it. As for diet, yep I take four 1g fish oil caps a day, cook using organic coconut oil and put a tablespoon of orgo extra virgin olive oil into my morning shake everyday. Definitely try to take care of my joints best I can!

Cortisone all day then. It's something your body makes naturally so there is no downside to it unless it's injected into tendons. For the first two years I was bending I was getting injections into my wrists every four months. When I ripped my oblique every other week for 14 months directly into my rib cage. Cortisone all day bro.

• Like 1

theres a good joint supplement called 'Super Cissus'. i get it off eBay for about £30-ish. i found that to be really good. Some say 'Animal Flex', but personally, i dont find it as good. plus, you have to take a packet of about 8 or 9 pills with Animal Flex which i dont like.

• Like 1

Joint mobility exercise and light movement in general is very very good for the joints and connective tissues.

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 1

just came in to post again so say that your not on your own. i find i get the same thing, especially with my left arm. as soon as hypertrophy takes place thats when i find i get problems.

im going to try static holds soon and see how that fairs. granted your not working full ROM but youll still build strength in fighting the rotation. might not be ideal but still worth a go IMO.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

is it more on your right or left elbow? or both?

try glueing your elbow to your body while doing the supination/pronation as much as possible...

Ive always had problems with my right elbow, i find that when I do dips and shoulder press/workout and keeping elbows really close to body really helps and keeps the blood flowing to all the joints on your upper body, cardio rowing also really helps... has something to do mechanically starting from neck / traps/ tight upper lats (close to armpit) / shoulder girdle or even front of neck/upper chest..

just a thought...