Door Knob Style Help

Andrew P

Here is the video detailing what I do.

Also, here is a video of where I learned to model this style of hub lifting.

http://youtu.be/lK58H203G0Q?list=UUzHI0hNhz4EuTfbrK9ILpdQ

I do not know how to hub the tool any other way. I know there is a style considered for David Horne's Hub, but I have chosen to stay away from that information. While the topic of the hub lifting styles were talked about in a video by both Andrew P and Juha of what was allowed and not. I could not lift the hub any way, I even attempted it after watching the videos and nothing worked for me. I followed what was asked of me, if there was anything wrong with my lifting of the Ironmind hub at King Kong, I expected Luke Wicks to have stopped me on the spot and count it as a "no lift".

I talked to Luke before the contest started and showed him how I was going to lift. Again, if there was any fault in my lifting than I would not have performed it in any way/shape/form the way I did. Everything looked legal to him and I was allowed to use the style I performed with.

Excellent video. Also, I liked that you included Zach's video from his record.

Once you have heavy weights on the hub, you can't really control what your fingers do when the weight starts going up. I think most of the criticism of the method of the finger placement has always come from people who have not really worked the device.

There is a huge difference between the vbar/doorknob style and what we are talking about here.

I think of the first 100 pound IronMind Hub record holder as the hub equivalent of a Credit Card Close of a Number 4 gripper.

• Like 1

I will take a counterpoint....

Due to all the attention of John's lift and it being a world record yet not the IM record has me for the first time actually seriously interested in hub lifting.

Years ago I had a home made wooden hub (which would be more like David Horne's shallow hub) but that did not get used that much.

About a year ago I bought one of Sorinex's hubs but that also did not see much use...

After reading all this hub talk and watching john's technique video I have a renewed interest in "the hub".

I was even pulling pathetic hub numbers yesterday and having a great time doing it!

Someone famous once said, even bad press is good press.

rich

Here is the video detailing what I do.

Also, here is a video of where I learned to model this style of hub lifting.

http://youtu.be/lK58H203G0Q?list=UUzHI0hNhz4EuTfbrK9ILpdQ

I do not know how to hub the tool any other way. I know there is a style considered for David Horne's Hub, but I have chosen to stay away from that information. While the topic of the hub lifting styles were talked about in a video by both Andrew P and Juha of what was allowed and not. I could not lift the hub any way, I even attempted it after watching the videos and nothing worked for me. I followed what was asked of me, if there was anything wrong with my lifting of the Ironmind hub at King Kong, I expected Luke Wicks to have stopped me on the spot and count it as a "no lift".

I talked to Luke before the contest started and showed him how I was going to lift. Again, if there was any fault in my lifting than I would not have performed it in any way/shape/form the way I did. Everything looked legal to him and I was allowed to use the style I performed with.

Excellent video. Also, I liked that you included Zach's video from his record.

Once you have heavy weights on the hub, you can't really control what your fingers do when the weight starts going up. I think most of the criticism of the method of the finger placement has always come from people who have not really worked the device.

There is a huge difference between the vbar/doorknob style and what we are talking about here.

I think of the first 100 pound IronMind Hub record holder as the hub equivalent of a Credit Card Close of a Number 4 gripper.

Mike, there is not much left I have to say about the subject of the hub through all that has happened, but I was having an off day when I attempted the lift at King Kong.

I was able to break from the ground (I will look for the video later) 102 or 103 lbs. There is a video of me lifting 115 lbs (felt close to 117 or 120 lbs) but I wasn't able to hold it at the top and it shot out of my hand. Will there be a day where I lift this officially in a contest? Yes, but because of all that has happened my desire to lift more than any human could dream of will become a reality.

I posted this over on the IM forum. This was just to explain the hand placement and why I do it.

I wish to take some time and actually explain what was going on while I attempting the hub at King Kong. I was aware of 2 rules being used (KK and IronMind). I attempted to use the hand techniques allowed (and not allowed just to see if I could do it), I had a problem as I could not lift the hub any other way but what was seen in the video of my attempt at 94.84 lbs.

I am going to pose a question. Was I under the assumption that my technique was not allowed and violated the rules in any way, or that I attempted to "Feat Cheat"? My answer is no. If there had been reasons for why my hand placement was against the rules in any form, I would have never performed with it and used something else. I do not grab the hub like a door knob, it may appear in that manner but my fingers are touching the bottom of the hub and that was required for the beginning of the lift, when I stand up my fingers do straighten out.

Where did I learn this style of hub lifting at? Zach Jacobs. Yes, I learned this same technique from a former record holder. Here are a few links to demonstrate how he lifts the hub.

http://youtu.be/bLymcPsup9M

http://youtu.be/7aCdq3S8U80

http://youtu.be/oehHYQ3G8o4?list=UUz...4EuTfbrK9ILpdQ (This was his record attempt that IronMind passed)

Here is a video explaining what I was doing for King Kong. http://youtu.be/O32vXZvvGO4

If there was something wrong with the style of this hand technique, then it should be posted in the rules clearly.

• Like 2

^This is within the King Kong rules, but not the IronMind rules. I also use this style. This is not the same thing as doorknob style.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. What is doorknob style then?

Okay, Doorknob Style...

Hold your right hand in front of you with the top of your hand facing up, palm down.

With a IronMind Hub in your left hand, insert the hub into your right index finger and right thumb, which are curled into a semi-circle, 80% closed.

Now imagine that you are grabbing the top of the hub that way when it is on a clip on the loading pin. You are not pinching at all, your index finger and thumb are wrapped around the hub, and maybe your middle finger is as well. The entire hub device is loaded with your hand, every square millimeter. It is a completely different lift.

As far as I know, this has only come up in two places. One, just about every Southern California grip competition from 2004-2007, and Two, a young teen protégé of Richard Sorin's about 8 years ago, a teen nicknamed "Meatball". The kid was pulling over 80 using that technique, and suddenly guys cared about the device, only because of the big numbers he pulled. Before there were rules for the Hub, it was informally decided that this method was not consistent with what the event was all about, that it was, in effect, a completely different event. So from there, everyone just said "Claw, Claw" until rules were established. And initially, as recently as just two years ago, what John McC did, what Zach did, and what I do was criticized as not truly a claw style. I have said that I think the criticism was from people who were looking at pictures and videos and not actually working the device themselves.

So, sure, John, Zach, and I are getting a little extra lift by swinging some fingers that act a bit as stabilizers, but when grabbing a plate by the hub, don't you just do what works?

But all that being said, I still marvel at 100 pounds getting off the ground.

Edited by Hubgeezer

^This is within the King Kong rules, but not the IronMind rules. I also use this style. This is not the same thing as doorknob style.

Okay, Doorknob Style...

Hold your right hand in front of you with the top of your hand facing up, palm down.

With a IronMind Hub in your left hand, insert the hub into your right index finger and right thumb, which are curled into a semi-circle, 80% closed.

Now imagine that you are grabbing the top of the hub that way when it is on a clip on the loading pin. You are not pinching at all, your index finger and thumb are wrapped around the hub, and maybe your middle finger is as well. The entire hub device is loaded with your hand, every square millimeter. It is a completely different lift.

As far as I know, this has only come up in two places. One, just about every Southern California grip competition from 2004-2007, and Two, a young teen protégé of Richard Sorin's about 8 years ago, a teen nicknamed "Meatball". The kid was pulling over 80 using that technique, and suddenly guys cared about the device, only because of the big numbers he pulled. Before there were rules for the Hub, it was informally decided that this method was not consistent with what the event was all about, that it was, in effect, a completely different event. So from there, everyone just said "Claw, Claw" until rules were established. And initially, as recently as just two years ago, what John McC did, what Zach did, and what I do was criticized as not truly a claw style. I have said that I think the criticism was from people who were looking at pictures and videos and not actually working the device themselves.

So, sure, John, Zach, and I are getting a little extra lift by swinging some fingers that act a bit as stabilizers, but when grabbing a plate by the hub, don't you just do what works?

Sorry, that's a lot of words I don't understand. Can you please clarify clearly for which reason John's lift was rejected?

A. no pause at top

B. stance too wide

C. grip

Only asking so going forward he can adjust and smash that 100# barrier for a definitive WR!

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Okay, Doorknob Style...

Sorry, that's a lot of words I don't understand. Can you please clarify clearly for which reason John's lift was rejected?

A. no pause at top

B. stance too wide

C. grip

Only asking so going forward he can adjust and smash that 100# barrier for a definitive WR!

I was answering the question "What is doorknob style then?", I wasn't completing a multiple choice questionnaire on a different subject. What words did you not understand?

That being said, I have no idea. If it were me who was the judge, I would say the lift did not pass KK or IM. It didn't pass KK because the KK language had the word "control" in it, and there was not control. It didn't pass IM because the video clearly shows the device already in downward mode when the audible "down" is heard. It was not my call on either, but there is not even any question on either of those points. I suspect the nature of the video being substandard for RS to judge on the finger placement was also at play, but I could not say for certain. Stance? Not in any rules, but if someone doesn't like the shorter stroke, then the rules should be changed. I personally don't like the short stroke. But that is just me, and as far as I know, the stance didn't have anything to do with the lift not being approved by IM.

I suppose if Randy doesn't like the short stroke, he can make a loading pin with an eight inch length. That would certainly solve the problem, and leave plenty of room for barbell plates to stack onto it.

Thanks for that description hub geezer. I've never thought to even try that way. Sorta like the A-OK hand signage. I'll call it the aok hub lift lol