What Are Your Favorite Books About Training?

Jörg Keilbach

My top five that i don't wanna miss are:

1. Becoming A Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett

2. Practical Programming For Strength Training 3rd Edition by Mark Pippetoe

3. Beyond 5/3/1 - Simple Training For Extraordinary Results by Jim Wendler

4. Grip Strength - How To Close Heavy Handgrippers, Lift Thick Bar Weights, And Pinch Grip Just About Anything by Robert Spindler

5. Intervention by Dan John

I've read different editions of 2. and 3. and enjoyed them.

Being a nerd I'm also into

-Zatsiorsky - Science and Practise of Strength Training (there is a german edition)

-Verkoshansky and Siffs Supertraining

• Like 1

I know Honk, i have it. I had Supertraining once but sold it, because it was to hard to read or to scientific for me. A gerraman edition of it would be great.

1. The grip well here on gripboard.

2. Will be David hornes grip encyclopedia.

• Like 1

I have a pretty good library of training books (2 shelves full) covering all aspects of fitness but I'll recommend one most of you may not have read - Performance Rock Climbing by Goodard and Neuman. It's well worth reading if you train with weights. A couple others are good if you are into more than just lifting are The New Alpinism and The Rock Climbers Training Manual. Yes they are all climbing books - but as a group climbers have some of the best forearm and hand strength in the world - and endurance that we all should envy. They do some things in training worth our knowing about. Things most of you have never tried I imagine.

• Like 1

Anthony Ditillo - The Development of Physical Strength & The Development of Muscular Bulk and Power

Rippetoe - Practical Programming

Bryant - Jailhouse Strong & Powerbuilding Basics

Siff - Facts and Fallacies of Fitness

Lots of online and ebook info: Paul Carter, Jamie Lewis, Jay Ashman, Phil Stevens, Wendler, Dan John, etc., etc.

Yol Bosun by Chris Rice - oh wait - it's still a work in progress :).

• Like 3

Just contacted publisher and he said no. Shame, because Mega Duty is awesome book for all who want to be real strong.

Just contacted publisher and he said no. Shame, because Mega Duty is awesome book for all who want to be real strong.

It's too bad. He's missing out on a huge market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Top 3:

Twisted Conditioning 2 by Bud Jeffries
Power to the People Professional by Pavel

Secrets of My Strength by Paul Anderson

• Like 1

One thing the climbing books stress heavily is a "rest" period - followed by a "base building" period - then strength - then power etc. Something lifters have a real problem doing - we want to simply hit it hard and heavy from day one - and then we wonder why we plateau so quickly and then get hurt. Grip guys and lifters in general need to learn from "athletes" in other sports better ways forward. It's all out there - read some things outside your box and learn something new.

One thing the climbing books stress heavily is a "rest" period - followed by a "base building" period - then strength - then power etc. Something lifters have a real problem doing - we want to simply hit it hard and heavy from day one - and then we wonder why we plateau so quickly and then get hurt. Grip guys and lifters in general need to learn from "athletes" in other sports better ways forward. It's all out there - read some things outside your box and learn something new.

I'll vouch for one of Chris' climbing books as well. The Performance Rock Climbing book is very interesting and has a lot of good practical, science, and training info in it.