My First Deck On Video

ATK

After about 6 months of trying, I can finally rip a deck of cards...

Will try quartering it next...

• Like 2

Very nice and quick! Card Tearing is a cool feat with long history :)

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Good work dude! Done quick and clean. I've been working on this feat lately too... I can tear a full deck, but it takes me a minute and isn't very clean. I'm using a pretty different grip from you though Haha. Have you experimented with different grips or did you just go with that one and work up?

I've been working on increasing my speed and precision and then I'll post a vid...

Thanks everyone!

As far as grip is concerned, I usually start with over/under to get the rip going (displacing the two halves), and then switch to the final grip (not sure how its called, but it is as seen in the video) to finish he job. :grin: I tried all sorts of grips, but this one works for me the best, albeit its a "two stage process".

What kind of grip do you use Mephistopholes?

I'm not Mephistopholes, but: I use the same technique as you. But have to end with a pulling motion. https://www.youtube.com/Iwatch?v=cLRNv3L7zFk&feature=youtube_gdata_player I too wonder what to call that you (and i use in the tear) for final movement. Its very effective anyway :-)

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 1

Ha, well my technique is hard to describe... it's sort of a mixed grip. the right hand grips like you would with the over/under style you use, so the fingers run longways on the deck and my right thumb is used. the left hand is at a right angle to the right hand and grabs from the back side of the deck, so my fingers come around the side, and my thumb isn't used.... this way, the tear starts from the bottom of the deck. Gives me good leverage. The left hand pretty much holds the deck in place while the right hand twists and tears. The left palm pushes up while the right palm pushes down.

I don't know if that makes any sense. haha.

When I post a video of it, It will make more sense.

• Like 1

Ha, well my technique is hard to describe... it's sort of a mixed grip. the right hand grips like you would with the over/under style you use, so the fingers run longways on the deck and my right thumb is used. the left hand is at a right angle to the right hand and grabs from the back side of the deck, so my fingers come around the side, and my thumb isn't used.... this way, the tear starts from the bottom of the deck. Gives me good leverage. The left hand pretty much holds the deck in place while the right hand twists and tears. The left palm pushes up while the right palm pushes down.

I kinda see what you are saying, lol! Definitely post up a video!

I kinda see what you are saying, lol! Definitely post up a video!

Yeah its like the back of your right hand faces you, while the palm of the left hand faces you, but is behind the deck... takes some experimenting, but I found that works the best for me.

And I definitely will post a vid when I can do it at a speed I deem (fast enough). Should be a couple weeks or so, keeping to my schedule.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome work! I've always been envious of the people who can tear "top and bottom" like that. I have more luck "Dennis Rogers" style. This way can really tear the skin up on the thumb webbing of the holding hand.