Road To Coc#4 - Time To Get This Done!

Paul Savage

My dads giving me his better gazebo, needs move a bunch of stuff to get to it though so will have wait for now.

Finally got back to doing a proper workout on sunday..

Everything with fat gripz no chalk

Lat pulldown

- 70lb x 10

- 100lb x 10

- 130lb x 10

- 160lb x 8 (didnt have strength in lats, stack is twice as heavy as weight would seem)

Dumbbell shrugs

- 40kg's x 10

- 50kg's x 16 PB (for solid dumbbells)

- 50kg's x 10

- 50kg's x 10

Sumo deadlifts

- 70kg x 3

- 110kg x 3

- 130kg x 3

Yates row

- 70kg x 12

- 70kg x 8 (nothing left)

Cable curls

- x ??

- x ??

Reverse cable curls

- x ??

- x ??

For some reason i always seem to end up holding the dumbbell in just my top fingers right handed on a slant as i always lose the back end. Im going to play around with gripping differently, not sure if its due to right upper back being out or am gripping it slightly off every time without realising. After it happened on the 16 set i had almost no strength left in my fingers though then again on the last set an i was pretty much done.

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 68 PB

Single arm side laterals

- x 15/15

Single arm bent over laterals

- x 10/10

Any grippers recently? I mean, I'm sure you'd log it, but just curious.

Nope, wont be for a while either

Everything with fat gripz no chalk

Dumbbell shrugs

- 14kg's x 10

- 30kg's x 10

- 50kg's x 17 PB

Two arm dumbbell row

- 32kg's x 10

- 32kg's x 10

Lat pulldown

- 100lb x 10

- 100lb x 10

V-grip seated row

- 115lb x 10

- 115lb x 10

Back extension machine

- 220lb x 8

- 300lb x 15

Reverse dumbbell curls

- 5kg's x 10

- 5kg's x 10

Dumbbell upright row

- 8kg's x 10

- 8kg's x 10

Not completely off-topic but a bit relevant and funny: I have read reports of people who "misteriously" got better Dip numbers after trying them in olympic parallel bars and the like... some of this folks were confused because they couldn't match this number at their home/paro/gym/whatever. It turns out that for many individuals, having a wider pipe to grip on actually HELPS on Dips. Since you're not pulling but actually pushing against the surface, it actually makes a bit of sense too. So your fat-grips-dipping may continue to improve!, and 68 at your BW is impressive. Would be fun to see if this also applies to you and you can't get as many on regular (thin) handles.

Yeah decline an dips always been strongest pressing movements for me, basically the same thing with how i lean into dips but obviously with a palms facing grip on those. With the fat gripz i think you get more chest an maybe more reps im not sure. The thin handles were hurting my palms is why i switched to fat gripz but jay cutler mentioned that he feels the fat gripz hit the chest better and also said he uses thin handles if doing dips. He basically said the more clenched the hands are the more triceps come into it an with fat gripz its a more open hand position so less triceps and more chest.

Finally got new gazebo set up today, hopefully this one lasts. Did my first workout in it after. I was drinking a few holiday beers during an no chalk again.

All solid dumbbells, everything with fat gripz

Stiff leg romanian dumbbell deadlift

- 15kg's x 10

- 27kg's x 8

- 35kg's x 6

- 47.5kg's x 6

Dumbbell deadlift (one each hand)

- 60kg's x 3

- 70kg's x 3

Romanian dumbbell deadlift

- 50kg's x 8

Palms facing dumbbell row

- 27kg's x 10

Dumbbell hammer curl

- 10kg's x 8

- 22kg's x 8

Reverse dumbbell curl

- 7kg's x 15

Concentration curl

- 12kg's x 12/12

The 70's were pretty tough but probably 5 reps there. Will work up to 10+ then start with extreme gripz.

Dips

- x 62 (133kg bodyweight)

Front raises log grip

Single arm side laterals

- x 20 / 20

Rotator cuff stuff

Feeling pretty strong, no pain in either shoulder today. The dips werent harder for me with thin grip but definately more triceps involved an i struggle to grind out reps on triceps so they just died on 63.

• Like 1

No chalk

Fat gripz dumbbell deadlift

- to 70kg's x 4

- 60kg's x 6

- 50kg's x 8

Wrist develeper

- Level 6 x 5

Plate pinch row

- to three 15kg x 10

Sledge hammer finger walk

- to 9.6kg x 3/4 / 3/4

Reverse dumbbell curls

- to 10kg's x 15

Concentration curl

- to 27kg x 6/6

Hammer curls

- 17kg's x 10

Pony clamp

- x 20/20

Wrist developer was actually level 1 chrome spring, thought it was classed as level 6 since says is 3 levels harder than wasp that 3 levels harder than orange, which would be either 6 or 7 but can see it just goes on spring from previous contest results. Was my first time using it.

Nope turns out that is level 6, bit confusing with the different springs but david cleared it up for me.

Dips with fat gripz

- bw x 73 PB

Front raise log grip with fat gripz

Single arm side laterals

- x 20/20

Bit of a year in review and next years plans/goals..

Ok so years been up and down, i wanted to be ahead of where i am in overall strength right now, and i also wanted to have won the worlds strongest hands contest this year but injuries have prevented this. I have no signs of the thumb injuries anymore and finally not feeling pain in right shoulder after what seems like forever. I do however still have upper back injury around right shoulder blade which i actually think is a crushed disk an will take a while to get fully better (think i remember when i did this). Overall i do feel im now in a good place going into the next year and its still been a successful year overall despite not being able to train properly for a lot of it. I managed to get by far the strongest i have ever been, 3 inch below knee rack pulls with 260kg+ for 20 reps etc is a huge improvement in back strength for me and bench pressing 100kg for 54 reps is also massive improvement, shoulder strength went through the roof an im now doing 73 dips at 133kg so that cant be bad either. Grip strength again injuries but i did manage to plate wrist curl a 20kg plate which was a long term goal, i also managed to axle deadlift 500lb+ this year i think (think it was early this year) and also no set close my hard #3.5 gripper plus wider than credit card close it with left so certainly got my grip stronger than ever too. Overall i still consider it a successful year, just a shame about the injuries.

Next year plan is focus heavily on david hornes grip worlds comp in wales along with overall strength and to do more wrist training. I plan on possibly giving arm wrestling another go in a few years time an since i get injured every time i start training for it will be very gradually conditioning my arms to it over the next year along side my other training (more of an after thought).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a day late for #tbt (throwback thursday) but I was searching Youtube for a different video and came across this #4 close of yours which I had never seen before. Strong! Basically a pause set and then some explosive power.

That was with the 205lb one i got off you. Made the dumb decision to take the tag off it an now i have no idea where its gone :/

Training for wsh's now, nothing much to report as yet, only 2-3 weeks into training, was resting my upper back (seems to be healed now). Did two wide 15kg one hand pinch hold for a minute the other day which has been long term goal an was after a bunch of heavier pinch so positive start.

• Like 1

I couldnt get video as my gazebo im training in is not exactly water proof at the moment but 3 weeks of training done now, onto 4th week now. I was definately not 100% for this, especially right forearm, was sore from work an tendons in general felt a bit shot but results from yesterdays grip events were 42.5kg one hand pinch for 3 singles each hand, which were tough, upto +35kg on the two hand hub key pinch, thumbless axle deadlift to 162kg x 7 reps and 132kg x 15 reps, then to 7kg sledge with 1.25kg taped on rear lift to almost the end of handle. The pinch was gripping two wide 15kg and setup not as tight as i would like so numbers will be lower on it. I did several sets of hard pinch holds following the singles so was spent for basically every event after. Hoping to get the proper setups for pick axe and euro pinch sorted at some point this week. Also contrast baths and massage need started, very beat up now.

So Paul you will cert on the 3.5?

Paul, you are planning to set a world record at the Silver Bullet.
In training you hоld 66 seconds.
Now, when the record was returned again to 57.15 seconds, you are motivated to establish a world record?

You have all the prerequisites!

#3.5 - not now as wsh earlier in year, no grippers now but defo plan on going for certs this year, minimal #3.5 cert both hands, possible #4.

Silver bullet - Would have to do it in contest so just depends on that, could easy beat 1:06 though, was after 3 x 20 reps on #3 after load of heavier stuff i did that.

39 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

#3.5 - not now as wsh earlier in year, no grippers now but defo plan on going for certs this year, minimal #3.5 cert both hands, possible #4.

Silver bullet - Would have to do it in contest so just depends on that, could easy beat 1:06 though, was after 3 x 20 reps on #3 after load of heavier stuff i did that.

Reading your log, a person would think your were a world record holder in the grip sport, or a winner in multiple grip events, even clear videos and witnesses to back it up.

But I guess why you are rarely ever mentioned as a grip fore runner by legitimate athletes.

Sam - Have only competed in grip 3 times, once locally, which i won all events, then british grip championships where i placed 2nd to steve (mobster), winning only grippers, then in worlds strongest hands the year before last where i finished 4th overall and won the uk leg, again, only winning grippers. That's all i've done so far.

• Like 1

Also think i may actually hold a world record in vulcan total left and right hand that i did at british championships? I only did 40 as had already won but don't know if anyones done more since? Not sure its even contested now to be fair.

Edit no was even lower actually, 19/19. World records never really cross my mind, just winning worlds strongest hands or certing #4 or #3.5 off hand.

Edited by Paul Savage

16 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

World records never really cross my mind, just winning worlds strongest hands or certing #4 or #3.5 off hand.

We'll never truely know until that happens....if it ever does.

Cant say its important to me what you think to be honest sam but they will all happen, if not this year then another, i am still very young for gripsport. Anything is possible if you are positive and willing to work hard for it.

Grip training again later. Forearms once again sore right into the belly of muscles and didnt end up getting proper massage, hopefully tomorrow but not expecting anything good numbers wise tonight just need to put the time in.

• Like 2

Went better than expected. Upto 45kg x 3 doubles and a near miss at 46.25kg one hand pinch on the two fat 15kg setup along with bunch of rep pb's and the two 15's loose hold for a pb of 70 seconds. Then did a lot of singles on the two hands hub key pinch upto two near misses on height at 40kg then 35kg for 10 reps. Moved on to thumbless axle getting 10 reps with 162kg this time followed by 122kg x 16 romanian deadlift and rows at 90kg. Finally sledge hammer to rear lift using 7kg hammer plus 1.25kg taped managed to near end of handle for 5 second hold each hand, 3/4 handle for 20 seconds then 1/3 handle length hold keeping wrist straight for 30 seconds. I rethought using proper setups on pinch and hammer yet as they are both probably harder on current setups and i dont want to peak too soon. Definately in need of massage tomorrow.

• Like 1