Josh's Mm0 Challenge

GrassMaine89

When did you start training grip?

I was first introduced to CoC grippers sophomore year of high school (2005). I trained with them sporadically but with no real training method or understanding of how to tackle them through 2007 getting to the point of closing the 2.5. When I went to college I stopped grip training, except for the occasional week here or week there and did not pick it up until I started this log (August).......

I attempted a grip workout...I'm still having pain in my knuckles (mostly index)...I missed the coc #3 138 lbs but got it off handed...this is a gripper I can grind the handles so I stopped the workout...I am going to do a week of recovery and see how I hold up.......angry

• 3 weeks later...

Seems quiet over here. Hope your injury free.

Seems quiet over here. Hope your injury free.

Was just thinking that myself the other day. Hoping your time off served you well and you're healing up Josh.

• 5 months later...

Sorry haven't checked this in awhile...I had pain in my dominate hand pointer finger knuckle...I had moderate strength but had nagging pain...I have taken this time off and still feel the discomfort but nothing like it was, I am going to start venturing into training again...as an update I have been concentrating on power lifting...at this point I have brought my bench up to 430 lbs, my best squats have been 435 for 3 sets of 5 reps, and I just started dead lifting a month or two ago, best pull has been 475 lbs for 2 reps and right after 455 lbs for 3 reps...I'm going to do a gripper workout today and see what happens...I have given myself time off and can no longer sit on the sideline

05-02-2015

Bench

225 1 set of 8 reps

315 1 set of 5 reps

385 2 sets of 3 reps

365 2 sets of 4 reps

Grippers

Left handed-

CoC #1- Single

CoC #2- Single

CoC LT #3 150lbs 3 Singles PR

GHP 7 152 LBS- failed

GM 141 lbs- failed

CoC #3 147 lbs- failed

CoC #3 138 lbs- Single

Right handed-

CoC #2.5 130 lbs 4 singles

After this much time off of grip work I wasn't sure what would happen...I've obviously gotten stronger due to the concentration on the 3 power lifting lifts...I did some jumping around because I didn't quite no what was going on, I wasn't expecting to be able to close a 2.5 let alone the 150 lbs #3...next time will have a lot less wasted movements...I'm going to take some videos of my next bench and grip workout

Edited by GrassMaine89
  • Like 1

Welcome back Josh! Strong bench and grippers. Get that MM1 bro!

Thanks man...that's my next goal...next session I'm going to stick with regular grippers instead of left turn and see what happens

• Like 1

Grippers

Left handed-

After this much time off of grip work I wasn't sure what would happen...I've obviously gotten stronger due to the concentration on the 3 power lifting lifts...I did some jumping around because I didn't quite no what was going on, I wasn't expecting to be able to close a 2.5 let alone the 150 lbs #3...next time will have a lot less wasted movements...I'm going to take some videos of my next bench and grip workout

Great job getting 3 singles with the 150lb #3! That's solid work right there.

• Like 1

Grippers

Left handed-

Great job getting 3 singles with the 150lb #3! That's solid work right there.

Thanks man...I was shocked, had my wife watch the 2nd and 3rd closes because I thought maybe I was crazy

05-04-2015

Dead lifts

• 385 x 3
  • 505 miss (about knee high)
  • 475 x 1
  • 455 x 2 miss on the 3rd

05-08-2015

Grippers

• CoC 1 x 5
  • CoC 2 x 5
  • CoC 2.5 130 lbs x 1
  • CoC 3 138 lbs x 1
  • CoC 3 LT 150 lbs x 1 (video below)
  • GHP 7 152 lbs x (?) it felt closed for a split second but the video wasn't clear
  • GHP 7 152 lbs x 0 x 0
  • CoC 3 LT 150 lbs x 0
  • CoC 3 147 lbs x 0
  • GM 141 lbs x 0

I have been down with a muscle pull in my back for 4 days (I'm can't seem to stop hurting myself)...it's still pretty awful but I had to get off of the couch and do something...I wasn't able to do my normal CNS warm-up with bench or squats so this was just a grab it and growl workout...I was happy with how easy the 150 felt...I'll make a video of a GHP 7 close because I'm pretty sure I'm there...after that I will keep doing reps with the 150 instead of going for PR's and fatiguing

Really solid closes!

• Like 1

Really solid closes!

Thanks...the time off really seemed to help

05-11-2015

Bench

• 135 lbs x 10
  • 225 lbs x 10
  • 315 lbs x 5
  • 405 lbs x 2 Video Below
  • 385 lbs x 3 x 2
  • 365 lbs x 5

Grippers

• LR CoC #1 x 5
  • LR CoC #2 x 5
  • LR CoC #2.5 130 lbs x 1
  • R CoC 138 lbs x 1
  • L GM 144 lbs x 1
  • R CoC 3 147 lbs x m Video Below
  • L GHP #7 152 lbs x m
  • R CoC #3 147 lbs x m
  • R CoC #3 138 lbs x 1
  • L GM 141 lbs x 1
  • R CoC #3 138 lbs x m
  • R CoC #2.5 130 lbs x m
  • L GM 141 lbs x 1
  • R CoC 2.5 130 lbs x 1
  • L GM 141 141 lbs x 1
  • R CoC #3 138 lbs x m
  • L GM 144 lbs x 1
  • R CoC #2.5 130 lbs x m
  • L CoC #3 138 lbs x m
  • LR CoC #2.5 130 lbs x 2

I beleive I'm having some issues with my set, which is why some I jumped all over the place (I'd miss and then my next close would be strong)...I'm really going to try and have a more coherent workout instead of missing multiple attempts...I do want to get a GHP 7 152 close on video but I'm going to wait at least another workout so I don't get stuck in the PR trap

05-11-2015

405 lbs Bench x 2

R CoC#3 147 lbs x m

Edited by GrassMaine89
  • Like 2

Wow. Nice bench press!!!!

Wow. Nice bench press!!!!

Thanks, it felt pretty good today

05/15/2015

Bench

• 135 lbs x 10
  • 225 lbs x 10
  • 315 lbs x 5
  • 415 lbs x 1
  • 435 lbs x miss

Grippers

• LR TNS CoC #1 x 5
  • LR TNS CoC #2 x 5
  • LR CoC 2.5 x 1
  • LR CoC 3 138 lbs x 1
  • R GM 141 lbs x 1 for 3 singles
  • RL 2.5 130 lbs x 5
  • RL 2.5 130 lbs x 6 for 2 sets

IM Hub

• RL 35 lbs x 1
  • L 40 lbs x 1
  • L 45 lbs x miss (broke inertia, got it to over half way up and lost it
  • L 40 lbs x 2 for 2 sets
  • R 40 lbs x 1
  • R 35 lbs x 1
  • L 35 lbs x 3 for 2 sets
  • R 35 lbs x 1 for 2 sets
  • L 35 lbs x 2

TTK

• 25 lbs x 5
  • 15 lbs x 10
  • 20 lbs x 10
  • 25 lbs x 10
  • 30 lbs x 3
  • 25 lbs x 7
  • 20 lbs x 7

There was a lot of misses on the grippers that I didn't record. My left was off, I missed a couple harder attempts by very narrow margins. After that I was not able to generate any power at all. This is the last time I'm going for a PR...I'm only going to get out up to the LT 150 for my left and only up to the 144 for my right on my next workout

Edited by GrassMaine89

05/18/2015

Squats

• 135 lbs x 10
  • 225 lbs x 10
  • 315 lbs x 10 x 2

Grippers

• LR CoC 1 TNS x 5
  • LR CoC 2 TNS x 5
  • R GM 141 lbs x 1
  • L GM 144 lbs x 1 x 2
  • R CoC 3 147 lbs x 1 x 3 PR
  • L GM 141 lbs x 1 x 2
  • R GM 141 lbs x 1
  • L CoC LT 3 150 lbs x 1 x 2
  • R CoC 2.5 130 lbs x 2 x 2
  • L Vulcan II Black Spring lvl 13 x 2
  • L Vulcan II Black Spring lvl 14 x 1
  • L Vulcan II Black Spring lvl 14 x 2

IM Hub

• LR 35 lbs x 1
  • L 45 lbs x 1 PR
  • L 40 lbs x 1 x 11
  • R 40 lbs x 1 x 8

TTK

• 25 lbs x 10
  • 30 lbs x 5
  • 30 lbs x 4

Tried squatting for the first time since I hurt my back...I didn't have any pain but a lot of tightness...I think I'm going to keep it light for a few weeks and then if that goes well I'm going to add dead lifts back in.

Outstanding gripper progress Josh!

Going to enjoy seeing how much cross over you get with the vulcan! Would enjoy seeing some vulcan videos from you, not nearly enough of them out there

Outstanding gripper progress Josh!

Going to enjoy seeing how much cross over you get with the vulcan! Would enjoy seeing some vulcan videos from you, not nearly enough of them out there

Thanks man, things seem to be going well...I'll upload some videos on the Vulcan my next workout. I enjoyed the 2 or 3 sets I did today with the Vulcan, for some reason it really ballooned my forearm up.

• Like 1

05/19/2015

I did a little bench today but still had a deep soreness in my chest so I decided to wait another couple of days. I did try a video of a GHP 7 152 lbs close...I'm putting the video below. I did grippers yesterday but I wanted to try it, that stupid gripper has been the bane of my existence. The set was a little deep but I'm excited either way, at the closed position I felt like I had more...I tried wider sets after but after yesterdays workout and this close I had nothing left.

• Like 1

05-22-2015

Bench

• 135 lbs x 10
  • 225 lbs x 10
  • 315 lbs x 10
  • 405 lbs x 1
  • 385 lbs x 2
  • 365 lbs x 5
  • 335 lbs x 8

Grippers

• RL CoC 1 x 10
  • RL CoC 2 x 3
  • CoC 2.5 x 1
  • L GHP 7 152 lbs x 1 x 2
  • R 2.5 x 1 x 3
  • L V2 lvl 14 x 1 x 3
  • R V2 lvl 13 x 1

Edited by GrassMaine89
  • Like 1

I closed the GHP today but not with the power I had the other day...in that video I had to go frame by frame just to see that it actually closed...my right hand had absolutely nothing...gonna rest up and hope for a little more explosive workout next time

Two other videos

• Like 2