Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Paul,

How difficult is the 01 drillrod at 5/16ths compared to the Red?

Edited by Idiedintothe
  • Like 1

Paul,

How difficult is the 01 drillrod at 5/16ths compared to the Red?

Yes, like Martin said and showed on Aaron's cal chart, most rate higher, but strangly they feel easier to kink ... but they are defenitly harder to crush down below 2"

I haven't met someone yet who is strong enough to kink a red in IMPS but not crush it ... however, I've seen some get shut down on the crush w/drillrod

Thank you sirs.

Progression charts help a lot.

Did bending session yesturday. Wasnt a good idea since i was very tired. Anyway bent 10 60's some were as thin as a white nail :s then mini kinked a 70d, if it went little more i wouldve bent it for sure fast. Then tried abother 70d because they seem to vary from easy red to brutal. Still mini kink that one can barely notice. Then tried a bastard. Same result mini kink. The kink is just so small i know if i bent it to 40 degree i wouldve melt them. Then tried grade 8 bolt and bend it in one min. All in IM pads.

Forgot to mention that i also played with 12LB hammer for wrists

I'm late to the party, but is there any chance I can get in on this race. I have a goal to cert before the end of the year. Within the past 8 weeks I have done many Grade 5's (S Series) in IMP's back to back and I have gotten a G8 as well in IMP's. I did kink a Red and then finished it the following day in IMP's (this was about 4-5 months ago). Since then I can't even kink 5/16 HRS from FBBC.

I've taken the past 6 weeks off from bending since I purchased some Blobs as I've been infatuated with them. Talk about another beast of a feat.

This would definitely give me some motivation to start bending again so let me know it it's not too late.

-Dan

I'm late to the party, but is there any chance I can get in on this race. I have a goal to cert before the end of the year. Within the past 8 weeks I have done many Grade 5's (S Series) in IMP's back to back and I have gotten a G8 as well in IMP's. I did kink a Red and then finished it the following day in IMP's (this was about 4-5 months ago). Since then I can't even kink 5/16 HRS from FBBC.

I've taken the past 6 weeks off from bending since I purchased some Blobs as I've been infatuated with them. Talk about another beast of a feat.

This would definitely give me some motivation to start bending again so let me know it it's not too late.

-Dan

Of course you can join. welcome aboard. I just picked up Suede and Leather for wraps. Can't wait to give some Grade 5s a shot with these new wraps.

Hey. I got a question. When people bend in leather how large do they cut the pads. I made them 12" X 12" like IMPs but that is pretty thick when its wrapped around a nail. Do guys usually cut leather squares smaller for bending.

Hey. I got a question. When people bend in leather how large do they cut the pads. I made them 12" X 12" like IMPs but that is pretty thick when its wrapped around a nail. Do guys usually cut leather squares smaller for bending.

I think most cut them to 4" wide so they end up with a 10-12" x 4" piece for each wrap. I could be wrong here, but I think that's pretty close.

Yeah 4" x 10"-12" is pretty standard for the leathers I've seen.

Bending workout tomorrow. :grin:

I just Measured My World Of Grip Suede Wrap's and they are 4" X 9.5". These are around 1" when Wrapped around a 1/4 Bolt.

Thanks guys. I knew something was wrong. The leather at 12"X12" was ridiculously thick haha.

Had my workout today. It went well. I got a 7" FBBC Square, a G8 kinked, and made an attempt at the Red, all in Bender's Battlefield wraps. I tried for the G8 in my leathers but there are holes worn straight through two layers in those things now. I felt them ripping as I went for my attempt on the G8. The G8 was much tougher in the cordura wraps than the leathers. I'm making progress, and I'm pleased. Here are some videos!

Edited by Idiedintothe
  • Like 2

Great workout!

Fantastic Progress dude. Keep up the great training.

Thanks guys. This thread is fun. I can't wait to see what kind of progress Brian is making. :ph34r:

Nice job Isaiah!!!!

I wonder if you tried a reverse grip, with the palm grip like Jedd does if that would help at the end to get that last bit before the crush down? Not that I really know much about bending, I can only bend a 1/4" x 7" CRS round on a good day.

Thank you sir! I'm not sure what type of grip you mean though Martin. Do you have an example?

Reverse like Jason does here:

but then at the end of the kink, before the chest crush down, you grab the palm of the left hand with the fingers of the right hand to get the last bit of bend to make the crush down easier. It's something Jedd has advocated. Just wondering if that would help you get those extra degrees of bend before the crush down attempt.

Edited by bwwm

Had my workout today. It went well. I got a 7" FBBC Square, a G8 kinked, and made an attempt at the Red, all in Bender's Battlefield wraps. I tried for the G8 in my leathers but there are holes worn straight through two layers in those things now. I felt them ripping as I went for my attempt on the G8. The G8 was much tougher in the cordura wraps than the leathers. I'm making progress, and I'm pleased. Here are some videos!

Nice bending!

Easy!

Did bending now. First i would like to say that training with leather is 1000 times better. I have been training on IM pads all this time and my hands and fingers are callused (sp?). I dont like that. When i was bending before it wasnt that bad! Anyway here is my workout.

Warmp up with 12 60d's. They are from very very easy to as hard as a blue nail and little more.

G8

Wasnt still warmed up so tried a 70d because i am out of other options now (unless i dig up my old fbbc bending stocks which will take ages to get them out now). It didnt move. Had severe forefinger pain mainly the skin on top where we bend the steel over.

Second attempt, still no movement had pain but less.

Third attempt. I felt my hands were solid now. Pushed it hard and got it bent in like 15 sec.

Another 70d that was mini kincked from last time. Bent it easily. I felt solidness in my hands.

Got my last mini kinked bastard. Bent it in like a minute. But pain slightly returned.

Tried new fresh bastard but o ly mini kink. It so small. Didnt push more because if i did i know my skin on my pointer finger will tear and to heal that it'll take like a month i know i experienced it before and i cant adford to waot that long because i must certify in june after that ill travel for 20+ days so no training at all.

So guys you think i should go with IM cert now? Should i apply for it? Maybe at the cert time i'll get the motivation enough to give me 5 to 10 percent more energy.

When am done with IM certs its all leather!

Pre-kinked Grade 5 bolt in ironmind pads: