Cannon | Level 2 Log

Cannon

watching that vid it looked like maybe the gripper was a bit far back in the palm. have you tried moving it forward? it might look that way bc your hands are smaller than mine as well.

I generally use a slightly compromised handle position, but you're right, that looks far back. My palm has not quite conditioned back to the durability that I need. If I really push the handle forward right now, it kind of folds the skin in the middle of my palm which hurts. Once callous builds up, it doesn't hurt much and kind of acts like an additional brace. Leaves a real nice mangle mark on my palm.

I'm going through the same things myself right now. I've finally gotten to the point where grippers don't "push" the calluses off my hand. not quite to the point where I can train at a higher percent with the volume I want.

I'm going through the same things myself right now. I've finally gotten to the point where grippers don't "push" the calluses off my hand. not quite to the point where I can train at a higher percent with the volume I want.

I've thought a couple times that there is something I could change about this. I made a comment about it to Paul Knight once and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said that he doesn't really get any callous or folding of skin or wear in his palm from closing grippers.

I have also talked to PK about this and he pointed out the callus he had. so, basically, I'm saying that PK is trying to sabotage all others who he feels are a threat to his grip legend.

I have also talked to PK about this and he pointed out the callus he had. so, basically, I'm saying that PK is trying to sabotage all others who he feels are a threat to his grip legend.

LOL, that sounds about right.

I did a quasi-work out last night but didn't attempt anything over about 135. I did probably 15-20 closes on grippers in the 100-135 range. A few narrow RBs and other stuff that was in a big box of Rate and Return for the store.

I didn't do a workout I had planned yesterday because of my right index finger. I was playing basketball Saturday night on a friend's (AMAZING) backyard court and suddenly the joint was swelling from the anterior side of the finger. There was a large white lump and everything. I didn't do anything to it, and in fact we were just shooting around and playing PIG. I can't think of any reason for it except that I've scarcely played basketball in 15 years and I could have hyper-extended it slightly while shooting a 3.

Anyway, it didn't really hurt at all, but I iced it and it mostly felt fine yesterday but I felt it best not to temp fate with a heavy gripper workout. There is no bruising at all and it feels even better today. I have a BILLION grippers to rate tonight so I will give it one more day and hit a heavy gripper workout tomorrow. I'm also thinking about getting my secret weapon set up.

I remembered that I have run club tomorrow so went for the workout.

#1 x 10
#1 x 15
#2 x 8
HG300 x 12
Narrow Elite x 2 singles with a good hold
Elite x Negative, too heavy
Hybrid GM x Negative
Narrow Elite x HUGE Overcrush x 2

The finger feels 100%

Glad to hear your finger isn't royally screwed up, Matt!

Is that 5/8" GM the one you let me borrow? That thing was awesome. I was very proud of TNS closing it, even though it was quite a bit under (I think it was 163lbs-ish?) my best RGC-rated gripper close. Those small handles really suck (and are at the same time AWESOME) on the close. :grin:

Ben, I made a typo that I went back and corrected. It was a Hybrid GM, not full 5/8ths.

I still can't believe you no set that 5/8" GM. That's a nasty no set.

Forgot to log a workout I did last night.

143 #3, no chalk, no warm up, slammed shut. This is why I decided to work out.

HG150 x 20

#1 x 15

#2 x 8

Hybrid SM x 3

145# GM x 2 attempts turned into negs.

The GM attempts felt super lousy mostly due to the palm of my hand. It's feeling kind of beat up from the last work out. Like blistery under the callous. I'll just wait till Sunday until going again.

Been lifting a lot more lately. Gaining some weight. I feel like for once I can actually USE my body instead of constantly protecting my back at the expense of a decent workout.

• Like 1

Oh yeah? Nice! What kind of stuff have you been doing for your back?

Just the aforementioned freak-nasty intral disc injection. It made all the difference. Insurance doesn't cover it, but I could roll on this for years, renewing it about every 12 months.

• Like 1

HG150 x 12

#1 x 10, 10

#2 x 10

145 GM x singles, 1, 1, miss

SM x Overcrush, 1, 1, 1

HG300 x 12, 12, 12

Hybrid SM x 3

Hanging Barbell curl (can't remember what these are called. Chris Rice talks about them. You do them standing and let the weight roll down into your fingers then roll it back up)

80 x 20, 100 x 15, 100 x 10, 110 x 10, 110 x 6, 90 x 4

COOKED

• Like 1

Nice Matt, looks like that gripper strength is coming back very fast. I believe what you're referring to was called the barbell rollout, or at least that's what I call them.

Well, thanks a lot Yori. THANKS A LOT!!!

We were discussing some 66kg Elite total stuff in his training log and now I have serious regrets about missing it in 2012 due to a stupid (idiotic really) mistake in axle planning. Read here: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=39510&p=608215. Missed it by 9 pounds and basically used my axle lifts to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have made up my mind that if I can get my lifts back into range for one-hand or two-hand 66kg Elite territory, then I will cut weight and CPW will sponsor a contest. My back is fairly in order right this minute, so why not try and take advantage? I only even learned about the one-handed possibility today. One hand Elite is 380 and two hand Elite is 585. Both are attainable for me and the hardest thing will be getting back down to 145. Which, again, I won't try to drop weight until I've got the lifts locked in. We'll see how that goes.

I don't think any of this will detract from my MM2 goal because my grippers are going to need to be in that range for any of this to happen.

• Like 1

Don't sacrifice your spinal health for a title. But if you are really feeling better, this is a good chance to test yourself.

One thing I should mention is that the king Kong comp has two of the more uncommon events needed for a 1 handed total.

This may be an easier route to housing your own, although I recommend that too.

Start practicing one hand axle. It's a tricky lift, but once you find your sweet spot it's a great asset.

Hope to see your efforts at KK. Ilk be shooting for 1H elite too.

mentioned this in yori's log, should have been here.

1hand axle can be straddle. I find that takes a lot of stress of my lower back. it might be a good way to bring up the 2h axle without over stressing the LB.

Thanks Brent and Yori.

Weights in the range of up to 200# are totally healthy and arguably beneficial for my back. I have a long history of lifting this kind of weight and that has never been a problem. But once I start pushing up over 200 and toward 300, that's where I get in trouble. I really have no interest in doing that.

Elite is Elite, right? Like whether you get there 1 or 2 hands it doesn't matter, it's all the same?

Elite is Elite, right? Like whether you get there 1 or 2 hands it doesn't matter, it's all the same?

That's what I think but I would really like to get "Elite 59k, 66k - One Handed Elite 66k" on my title line. 8)

I'll race ya Matt. The race to 66k elite!

You're on.

Again, cutting to 145 again in my life will be the hardest part. I've added some muscle recently and that won't make it any easier.

I'll probably turn to YOU for advice about how to make weight.

Ditto about weight manipulation. Now that I know I've gotta eat as much as Stephen Ruby does just to gain weight, it'll be interesting tomeet you half way while remaining lean.

It's on!!!!!

Didn't go as planned. Max close was off so I went for the further beatdown on reps.

HG150 x15

#1 x15

#2 x8

SM x2

145# GM x 2 negative crushes

HG300 x15, 15

#2 x 14, 12

Hanging finger curl thing, 95x15, 105x15

Calling it. I think doing more would be a mistake tonight.