My Obsession Since 1981

EricMilfeld

Eric, you wrote that you went from pulling 3XX lbs to 617lbs by pulling a double every week

+ doing a set of squats a week

+ doing a set of rows or pullups

I'm curious how you progressed in weight. And what you did when you hit a plateau.

Did you lower the weight or did you keep at that weight until you were able to make progess again?

I was really fascinated how far you got with such a basic, straightforward approach.

Eric, you wrote that you went from pulling 3XX lbs to 617lbs by pulling a double every week

+ doing a set of squats a week

+ doing a set of rows or pullups

I'm curious how you progressed in weight. And what you did when you hit a plateau.

Did you lower the weight or did you keep at that weight until you were able to make progess again?

I was really fascinated how far you got with such a basic, straightforward approach.

Christoph, following are some highlights of my progression at powerlifting meets:

319# - age 14 - 123 class

341# - age 14 - 123 class

bombed w/ 363# - age 15 - 132 class

407# - age 15 - 148 class

440# - age 16 - 148 class

501# - age 17 - 165 class

540# - age 18 - 165 class

562# - age 20 - 165 class (Raw. Normally I wore a suit that gave me 15 pounds)

617# - age 21 - 181 class

670# to top of knee caps - age 28 - 220 class

For the first year I was partial to maxing out every workout. Lol. But from there on out it was at least 90% of the time doing a heavy double once a week. When I would plateau I would do something like a set of five, then a set of three the following week, and then right back to a heavy double the next week. Or, I might back off on the weight after plateauing (failing to PR) and do a submaximal double for a couple of weeks or so and then right back to PR attempt at a double. It's important to note my height went from probably 5'9" to 6' 1/2" between the ages of 14 and 18. Part of the reason this high intensity program worked for me was the more or less steady weight gain and neural adaptation. Also worth noting - I've never used steroids, hence part of the reason for the low volume. The main difference between my training now and then is my very limited ability to handle more than two or three higher intensity deadlift workouts in a row, before needing to take lots of weight off the bar and working my way back up.

Mister Tommy Jennings dropped by tonight so I did and unplanned fun workout.

Euro Pinch

worked up to 202.7

One Hand Euro

worked up to 91.9 left hand

Curl Bar

128 x 5

Grippers

Right - closed a 128 BoneCrusher 400 (the thick handles made it feel more like a 145)

Left - 118 thin handle, no-sets x 7

18" Bench Press

179 x 7

Dumbbell Rows

194 x 5 each hand

Squats

329 x 2

16" Step Ups

x 40 each leg

2.75" Revolver

Right 102 x 21

Left 102 x 30

Middle finger knuckle still hurts.

18" Bench

198 x 3

Pull Ups

55 x 5

Left Hand Euro

94.1 x 0 x 2

94.1 x 1

94.1 x 0

83.4 x 4

85.9 for 7 second hold

Curl Bar (super strict)

134 x 0

129 x 1

18" Bench Press

179 x 7

Dumbbell Rows

194 x 5 each hand

Did you just say 194 (as in lbs) rows in *each hand??

Wutthacrap?!?

Ha ha! Dumbbell rows are one of my better lifts.

My Little Big Horn was delivered to my porch today. I had never lifted with one before, and it was a humbling experience. I worked up to 156 righty and 151 lefty. Hopefully some seasoning will help... like maybe fifty pounds. Lol.

Wait, Eric can you really row 200 DBs?

You need to go tell chimp grip!

Man. That's a tough horn.

I bet seasoning well help a ton, but that's still less than I expected. You'll be getting up past 170 in no time, I bet.

Row Bro.

I think 170+ is doable. I nearly locked out 162. And was pleasantly surprised to discover it doesn't irritate my hurt knuckle. And it does feel slick.

I was in bed.

• Like 1

I was in bed.

Ahaahhaa! ...and also on the phone with the other hand, right?

Lol. You too?

Now I understand the misunderstanding. No, I was only posting from the comfort of my bed.

194# - damn! :bow:bow:bow

I thought I was getting somewhere with 163# kb rows, but now I need to set my sights even higher!

Oh... Psh.

Lol.

194# - damn! :bow:bow:bow

I thought I was getting somewhere with 163# kb rows, but now I need to set my sights even higher!

Thanks, Martin, but you're probably getting a better range of motion with kettlebells. I load my dumbbell with 35s. But that's about the ROM I prefer.

Left Hand Euro

90.9 x 0 x 2

78.2 x 12

Left Hand 2" Dumbbell Deadlift

worked up to 184 after failing twice

Right Hand Little Big Horn

failed to lockout 162 about ten times

Curl Bar Wrist Curls

159 x 8

50 deep knee bends

are you specifically picking hands for KK events? IE, are you only training pinch left and LBH right?

are you specifically picking hands for KK events? IE, are you only training pinch left and LBH right?

For the most part, yes.

For the most part, yes.

that's some committed training 3 months out. I'm assuming you tested first and found which hand works better for each event? does that mean you'll be skipping 2hp and axle until after KK?

For the most part, yes.

that's some committed training 3 months out. I'm assuming you tested first and found which hand works better for each event? does that mean you'll be skipping 2hp and axle until after KK?

Yes, I sure did, but I've known for a while which of my hands is best suited for which feats. I may very well be skipping 2hp and axle until after KK. At the moment, I don't intend to train them. As always, I'll play it by instinct as I go.

going back up a couple. is the left hand 1hp x12 a set of 12 or 12 singles?

Hi Eric,

Like most I think your numbers on the dumbbell rows are pretty impressive (not to mention the deadlifts).

I was wondering. Do you do them with one knee and hand on a flat bench or do you do them standing up with one hand leaning on something?

going back up a couple. is the left hand 1hp x12 a set of 12 or 12 singles?

It's a set of 12 with regrips on the floor and a couple of rechalks due to sweating.

Hi Eric,

Like most I think your numbers on the dumbbell rows are pretty impressive (not to mention the deadlifts).

I was wondering. Do you do them with one knee and hand on a flat bench or do you do them standing up with one hand leaning on something?

Thank you!

Yeah, I do with a knee on the flat bench.

My son was on leave from the Marines and stopped by tonight. I convinced him to do a workout with me.

Iron Mind Hub Right

worked up to 50.1 (lost a lot of strength here)

Little Big Horn Right

131.2 x 7

Euro Left

83.4 x 4

No Set Gripper Left

118 x 7

18" Bench Press

203 x 3

Dumbell Rows

205 x 5 each hand

One Hand Cheat Curls w/ Curl Bar

66 x 5 each hand