My Obsession Since 1981

EricMilfeld

Eric, that is amazing! 730# Farmer's deadlift? That's 4x bodyweight!

Thank you, Martin! Yeah, I noticed that I picked up two "mes" in each. Pretty cool. Really happy with my performance on that, and even happier I have no sciatic pain today!

Great numbers! Congrats

Thank you, Jon!

Congrats again on the win Eric, you did a great job. It was a pleasure to meet you and compete against you. Thanks for the armwrestling tips, my tendons are very sore even from the little bit we did.

Jeff, it was great to finally meet you! The event was so close, that anyone of, say, the top four finishers could have pulled off a win. And great job winning grippers! And did you win the Slim Hammer event also? You're very welcome for the AW tips. That was fun. It's hard, but on the rare occasion I do pull, I need to keep it in moderation. Sometimes I'll feel tendon soreness for several weeks.

Thanks Eric, grippers are always my best event, I travel a lot so many times they are the only grip work I can do. I was second in the hammer, Andrew won with 28.5lbs I think

First preparatory workout for Nationals. Hands feeling a little beat-up from the timed holds and arm wrestling at the Michigan Grip Champs.

Vulcan

Right: level 16 x 5 (with a 5 second overcrush) x 2

Left: level 16 x 2, level 16 x 3 (5 second overcrush)

Pinch Block

176.1 x 5 x 2 sets

Axle

303.2 x 5 x 2 sets

Thanks, Tommy. Even though the weights are heavier, I've noticed the farmers deadlifts tax my cns less than regular deadlifts. I think I might start training them again next month and go for 800.

• Like 1

Bench Press

249 x 2

Pinch Block Curls

Right 32.8 x 1, 33.8 x 0, 29.8 x 2, 23.6 x 10

Left 32.8 x 0 x 2, 29.8 x 1, 23.6 x 8

Discovered my wrists are still shot from arm wrestling.

14# Hammer Choke

Right worked up to 14"

Left worked up to 13"

The way I taped two pounds to the top of the head should make my setup more difficult than an actual 14# hammer.

Chin Ups

75 x 4

body weight 185

Vulcan

Right L-24 x 1 (5 sec. overcrush) x 2

Left L-21 x 1 (10 sec. overcrush), failed with bad sets on a 134 and a 135

Pinch Block

180.1 x 5

180.1 x 6

Axle

313.4 x 3

313.4 x 4

Mixed Grip Axle

404.1 x 3

Sorinex 2" Revolver

Right 201.6 4 second hold

Left 201.6 5 second hold

Eric, am I reading right that you are closing level 24 on your Vulcan? That's some crazy strength!

Eric, am I reading right that you are closing level 24 on your Vulcan? That's some crazy strength!

The spring is on that level, but the spring is one of the ridiculously easy ones.

Bench

208 x 10

Pinch Block Curls

Right 33.3 x 1 x 3, 34.3 x 1

Left 32.3 x1 x 2, 33.3 x 1

14# Hammer Choke

Right 14" x 1, 15 x 1, 15 x 0, 13 for 7 second hold

Left 13 x 1, 14 x 1 x 2, 12 for 7 second hold

Dumbbell Rows

154 x 12 each hand

Log Curls

115 x 7

Eric, after that Michigan grip champs my forearm/elbow of my right arm was killing me but not from the contest. I had helped a friend put up the soffit on his garage a few days later and was using a regular hammer to drive the nails, lots of swinging my arm hitting upward all day. Light work but odd angle. It was like getting tennis elbow I guess. It really affected my workouts for a couple of weeks to the point where I could not do any as it would cause too much pain, esp from the grippers. I was annoyed that the heavy work and the contest didn't bother me but this stupid little hammer did.

So I stopped working out and it has just now went away a few days ago, which in my opinion took way too long. Anyway, as you have been doing this for so long, do you have any tips in regards to is it better to just rest it out or do some kind of light physical therapy? Is one method faster, better?

Also, that pinch block you made sounds like a nice tool, I alway like the home made equipment.

Unless the pain is too severe, I would definitely go with the light repetitious work to get plenty of blood flow, as opposed to rest alone. It's actually very rare that I suffer much in the way of unusual pain or minor injuries, so my experience is somewhat limited. But I've had good results selecting an exercise that works the general area in question and performing a set or two of twenty to fifty reps. I attribute very low volume to my long and relatively injury-free career. It's possible the hammering may have only left you muscle-sore, had you not just finished a grip contest. Contests like Michigan with timed holds are extra hard on the body. Only within the last few days have I felt 100% recovered.

Yeah, my wooden pinch block is a staple of my pinch training. Besides being easier to load than the Euro, its easy on the thumb webbing. I've put about a 1/2" radius bullnose on the thumb side.

I keep having to edit my post, so I'll just add some clarification here. On those high rep recovery sets I wouldn't go any heavier than about 50% of your ability. Get a nice pump that doesn't leave you feeling spent and you can do a set or two maybe every day.

Grippers 20 mm

Right 141 x 5, 134 x 1 x 2 (no set), 134 x 2 (no set)

Left 135 fail, 134 fail, 118 x 5 (no set), 118 x 7 (no set)

Pinch Block

191.6 x 3 x 2

Axle

325.2 x 3

283.1 for 17 seconds timed hold (no leg support)

50 deep knee bends

bodyweight 185

Thanks for the insight. I have found out that the specific pain I was feeling has a name, bicep tendonitis felt at base of bicep at inside of elbow. There are different levels of injury, I had just inflamed it from overuse at that odd angle. Research said that is the main cause and is most found in more dominate arm and in guys over 35. I am 36. Other cause is sudden heavy stress, like catching something heavier than you can handle. I assume it was a combo of factors for me: Rushing to gain strength before the contest after not working out really for the last 7 years, dominate arm with most wear over time, age, overuse, all right after lifting those heavy farmer bars. (which were a pr for me as I never did them before!)

Jeff Parker and I were working out and by the end I couldn't even bend my arm. I took the last 3 weeks off. Doc info I found after I was healed says just what you suggested! May have healed sooner with what you said. Rest combined with light weight high rep sets..key is light, slow and everyday. Bad part about it is it causes degradation and will happen more often if strength is built too fast, which I think is why so many on here have continuous problems with it. I can tell I will have to take it slower, less volume. I picked up some chicken from the store and felt a twinge so gotta take it easy still. You know what you are talking about, proof is the fact that you win stuff and stay injury free. Thanks for the great advice!

You're very welcome. Sounds like you're taking away a lot of good from the whole experience.

Yeah, once something gets my attention, I try to learn all about it and the best way is to talk to people with experience. Sorry it was off the topic of your workout log thanks for being cool with that.....back to the workouts, very interesting seeing the progression and process, good tips I am picking up, motivating too... keep it coming!

I don't consider it off topic at all. I've noticed it can be mutually beneficial to try and answer questions, as it makes you take inventory of what you know, question what you "know", and clean out the cobwebs in your brain.

Bench

208 x 10

Pinch Block Curl

Right 34.8 x 0 x 2, 34.3 x 1, 30.3 x 5

Left 33.3 x 1, 30.3 x 3

14# Hammer Choke

Right 16" x 0, 15" x 0, 14" x 0, 13" x 8

Left 15" x 0, 14" x 0, 12" x 4

Dumbbell Rows

175 x 8 (each arm)

Grippers

Right 159 x 0 x 2, 134 x 3 (no set), 141 x 5 (5 second OC)

Left 134 x 0, 141 x 0 x 2

Pinch Block

201.1 x 1

Euro

202.7 x 1

207.7 x1 x 2

184.3 x 3 (without resting it on the floor)

Axle

335.6 x 2

303.2 hold for 14 seconds (without contacting legs with the bar)

Mixed Grip Axle

453.7 x 2

Log Curls

126 x 5

Push Ups

30 x 2

Pinch Block Curls

Right 31.8 x 2 x 2, 32.3 x 2

Left 30.8 x 2 x 2, 31.3 x 2

14# Hammer Choke

Right 15" x 1 x 2, 14" x 4

Left 13" x 1 x 3, 12" x 3

Dumbbell Rows

185 x 7 each arm

• 2 weeks later...

Beat my Hammer Choke PR by ten pounds at Nationals Saturday with a lever of 238 pounds using a #14 hammer.

I think I will restrict this log to PRs, memorable performances, or unusual workouts to reduce the monotony and redundancy factor.

Like a lot of new guys, I always read logs like yours to learn and get new ideas. Monotonous or not, and it's never been that.

It would be really awesome if you kept this log going.

I was always intrigued by you minimalistic training approach.

Jon, Tommy, and Christoph, it seems I'm out-voted.

Breaking my promise to never do this again, I think I will SLOWLY cut weight and try and maintain a body weight in the 165 to 167 range. I want to see how strong my grip can get in the 163 weight class.

18" Grip Bench Press (elbows tucked in due to some shoulder pain, but I will most likely keep this form)

169 x 6

Step Ups (to a 16" high bench)

each leg x 30

Jumping Jacks

100 x 2

Crunches 20 x 2

Grippers

47 x 40 (full range of motion) each hand

• Like 1