Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

You know know that you mention it that makes perfect sense. I had never done any of these lifts before a few of weeks ago and my first couple days they all felt REALLY awkward to do and I had to start with light ass weight.

These past two sessions particularly I've really felt good and in control of the weight, my form is definently improving.

Honestly today I wanted to add 20lbs to my squat and dead but remembered not to get greedy ;).

Plus I guess it really wouldn't be smart to pile on a bunch of weight right when I'm starting to improve form lol

You know know that you mention it that makes perfect sense. I had never done any of these lifts before a few of weeks ago and my first couple days they all felt REALLY awkward to do and I had to start with light ass weight.

These past two sessions particularly I've really felt good and in control of the weight, my form is definently improving.

Honestly today I wanted to add 20lbs to my squat and dead but remembered not to get greedy ;).

Plus I guess it really wouldn't be smart to pile on a bunch of weight right when I'm starting to improve form lol

If I could revise one thing that I did when I started training, it would be to make smaller but steady jumps. Good work keeping some in the tank, consider it an investment rather than wasted energy.

If I could revise one thing that I did when I started training, it would be to make smaller but steady jumps. Good work keeping some in the tank, consider it an investment rather than wasted energy.

Leaving some in the tank after a workout seems to be something everyone agrees on.

Im trying really hard to avoid most mistakes new lifters make, but I'm sure i'll make a few. Or maybe I already am lol

04/14/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-80lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-100lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-95lbs

Pullups: 3x6-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 2x10-10lbs(two 5lb plates)

1x5-10lbs(two 5lb plates)

Edited by dlewis8589

4/16/2014

Squat: 3x5-125lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-82.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-145lbs

Dips: 1x8/1x7/1x4-BW+10lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x7-15lbs

04/18/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-85lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-105lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-100lbs

Pullups: 3x6-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-10lbs(two 5lb plates)

Isn't it fun going into the gym every day and knowing your getting stronger?

Matt asked you and I guess you didn't see the post, but what were your original maxes?

Matt asked you and I guess you didn't see the post, but what were your original maxes?

I agree with Electron here - It's one of the good things about starting strength and 5/3/1. I would encourage you to start marking down your personal bests each workout! Either the reps with a given weight in one set should increase, the amount of total reps done with a given weight over multiple sets in a workout should increase, the weight used for a single rep should increase, or the speed at which a set or rep was done should increase. If you do one of these things you will always make progress, with the as-needed inclusion of a deload workout.

I agree with Electron here - It's one of the good things about starting strength and 5/3/1. I would encourage you to start marking down your personal bests each workout! Either the reps with a given weight in one set should increase, the amount of total reps done with a given weight over multiple sets in a workout should increase, the weight used for a single rep should increase, or the speed at which a set or rep was done should increase. If you do one of these things you will always make progress, with the as-needed inclusion of a deload workout.

Thanks guys, yes it is very awesome!

All my main lifts have gone up a good 30lbs since I started, which is very encouraging! I know it won't go up this fast forever, but I'm gonna milk it as long as I can. Whats also exciting is how my lifts compare now to my previous ones. What I mean is, for example in the next couple workouts I will be cleaning my beginning squat weight and front squatting my beginning deadlift weight!

Matt, sorry I never responded to your question. I meant to but I forgot. I don't have any established 1RM's because I have never tested them. Maybe one day for fun I'll establish some maxes instead of a regular workout, because honestly I'm quite curious as well.

The personal best idea is great, but at this stage i make 3-4 pr's a workout lol!

Thank you both for all the tips and support! It really is encouraging and makes me only want to go harder!

4/16/2014

Squat: 3x5-130lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-85lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-155lbs

Dips: 2x8/1x6-BW+10lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-15lbs

Dude, talk about steady gains. Keep it up!

Thanks bud, I really enjoy seeing my progress. Every time I train I think "how the hell am I gonna add more next time!" But I add more, and make my reps. One of the great things about being a novice lol.

One thing that helped was I went to 3 days a week instead of every other day. When I first started I could do it but not now, I feel much stronger and better recovery with that extra day off.

I know this is blasphemy but I'm gonna start doing curls twice a week on off days. If it affects my main lifts ill stop but because of grippers and plate wrist curls my forearms are as big as my upper arms lol!

Edited by dlewis8589

Dude, don't knock the curl.

Bicep strength is as important as wrist strength in grip sport, and has just as much carryover to the grip lifts.

I do curls twice a week too, and have some strict curl goals to reach.

Wasn't knocking it, but you know all the "don't curl while on starting strength" shit. I guess what they really mean when they say that is don't let them, or any isolation, interfere with the core of the program.

Just curious how do they help in grip sport? And what are your curl goals?

I gesse mine would be to strict curl 30's for 3x10

Oh and I finally mashed my #2 today! quiet a few times too, now I'm looking at my 2.5….

Edited by dlewis8589
  • Like 1

That interpretation sounds about right. Rippetoe has publicly mentioned that he likes to curl... in secret.

In grip sport, bicep strength helps in nearly every lift.

First and foremost, the bent elbow position seems to be the most effective arm position to recruit your forearm muscles. You can see that when bending your elbow under tension, strong biceps help.

When pulling on an axle, your elbow position can dictate how many fingers are effectively gripping the bar. Watch any top axle deadlifter and chances are that they won't have their arms straightened.

In 2HP: the biceps create torque and aid the pinch.

In rolling thunder, there is a way to lift with a bent elbow, resulting in better wrap around the RT.

Even setting a gripper requires a strong set of biceps to stabilize.

Bicep strength and wrist strength are very important components in grip.

My curl goals: 35# plate in any fashion. 100+lbs back against the wall strict curl. Current best is 90lbs.

Good job on the 2! Onward.

04/23/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-95lbs/ Went up 10lbs this workout because I was so tired of pulling off the floor with those 10's. Made reps but form was not great, keep weight same

Front Squat: 3x5-110lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-105lbs

Pullups: 1x6-BW

1x4-BW/ Was so tired buy then could barely muster any. Worked all day and didn't get to workout till 9'oclock

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 1(sloppy)x10-10lb Plate(again, was very tired)

On a higher note I showed my moms boyfriend the #2 and had him try to close it, he failed. Then he asked me to close it and to my surprise I was able to close it no problem first try with no warmup. That made me happy to say the least

• Like 1

4/16/2014

Squat: 3x5-135lbs(yah!)

Overhead Press: 3x5-85lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-160lbs

Dips: 2x8/1x7-BW+10lbs(so close!)

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x10-15lbs

04/29/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-95lbs/ Felt much better

Front Squat: 3x5-115/ Very happy bout this one, felt very strong too!

Bench Press: 3x5-110lbs

Pullups: 2x6-BW

1x4-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 2x10/1x8-10lb Plate

Great workout, feeling strong

Edited by dlewis8589

5/1/2014

Squat: 3x5-140/ Almost failed last rep, for the next two squats gonna go up 2.5lbs

Overhead Press: 3x5-87.5lbs(Missed last rep)

Deadlift: 1x5-165lbs

Dips: 2x8/1x6-BW+10lbs

Plate Wrist Curl: 3x6-16.25lbs/ Couldn't believe how much harder that 1.25lb plate made it. wrist and forearms were plenty strong for it but it really killed my thumb.

05/3/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-100lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-120lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-115lbs(Very heavy, keep weight same)

Pullups: 1x8-BW

1x5-BW

1x4-BW(+1 negative)

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 2x10/1x10(RH)1x6(LH)-10lb Plate

5/6/2014

Squat: 3x5-145

Overhead Press: 3x5-87.5lbs

Deadlift: 1x5-170lbs

Dips: 3x8-BW+10lbs(Yah!)

Plate Wrist Curl: 2x10/1x8-16.25lbs

Good to see those steady consistent increases in your weights. It brings up a bit of advice I'd like to give you. Looking over some of the advice people give you about your squat depth and patterns, I would suggest you remember one thing. For your stated goal, and arguably in general there is pecking order to progress.

1. Increase weights

2. Increase reps/speed

3. Increase volume

Starting strength works to increase the WEIGHT of your 3x5 work, which is important to do first. When you eventually stall, it would be wise to focus on 3x3 until you again stall. Then go for a single after a full week off of the main lifts. Next cycle in higher rep work and set rep prs starting in the 12-15 rep range (which you have never done before) and slowly go heavier until your reps get down into the 1-5 rep range again. Go for another single, trying to beat your last 1RM. Start with the rep work again, only this time including sub-maximal 5x5 work (which will be a pr for you since you have been doing 3x5) which you can alternate with your higher rep workouts. Slowly go heavier until once again you are in the 1-5 rep range, take a week off and set a 3rd 1RM pr. Lastly I would recommend you start an alternation of rep workouts, volume workouts, speed/dynamic workouts, and 1-5 max workouts in that order, hitting each lift 1-2x a week.

Hope this helps, and again just my 2c on where to go once you are done with starting strength.

• Like 1

05/8/2014

Power Clean: 5x3-105lbs

Front Squat: 3x5-125lbs

Bench Press: 3x5-120

Pullups: 1x7-BW

2x5-BW

Reverse Plate Wrist Curl: 2x10/1x10(RH)1x8(LH)-10lb Plate

Good to see those steady consistent increases in your weights. It brings up a bit of advice I'd like to give you. Looking over some of the advice people give you about your squat depth and patterns, I would suggest you remember one thing. For your stated goal, and arguably in general there is pecking order to progress.

1. Increase weights

2. Increase reps/speed

3. Increase volume

Starting strength works to increase the WEIGHT of your 3x5 work, which is important to do first. When you eventually stall, it would be wise to focus on 3x3 until you again stall. Then go for a single after a full week off of the main lifts. Next cycle in higher rep work and set rep prs starting in the 12-15 rep range (which you have never done before) and slowly go heavier until your reps get down into the 1-5 rep range again. Go for another single, trying to beat your last 1RM. Start with the rep work again, only this time including sub-maximal 5x5 work (which will be a pr for you since you have been doing 3x5) which you can alternate with your higher rep workouts. Slowly go heavier until once again you are in the 1-5 rep range, take a week off and set a 3rd 1RM pr. Lastly I would recommend you start an alternation of rep workouts, volume workouts, speed/dynamic workouts, and 1-5 max workouts in that order, hitting each lift 1-2x a week.

Hope this helps, and again just my 2c on where to go once you are done with starting strength.

Thank you very much Matt! I have been wondering what to do next, even though I have at least another 2 months on starting strength. I know I eventually want to try 5/3/1 but I feel i'd be selling myself short making monthly progressions right after SS. I really like the 3x3 idea after I stall, this would definently make sure I've squeezed out all linear strength progression possible. I will probably do that. My goal is to eventually compete in strongman (would like to compete in North Carolinas Strongest Man in 2016 to be exact). Do believe that working in the higher rep ranges after 3x3 would help with that? I do really like that idea as well though, working higher reps and slowly going down in reps would really shock the system and for sure make me stronger.

I really appreciate your advice, I would have never thought of those ideas and I really don't like any of the popular intermediate strength programs so I actually really needed it.

1. Increase weights

2. Increase reps/speed

3. Increase volume

Thank you very much Matt! I have been wondering what to do next, even though I have at least another 2 months on starting strength. I know I eventually want to try 5/3/1 but I feel i'd be selling myself short making monthly progressions right after SS. I really like the 3x3 idea after I stall, this would definently make sure I've squeezed out all linear strength progression possible. I will probably do that. My goal is to eventually compete in strongman (would like to compete in North Carolinas Strongest Man in 2016 to be exact). Do believe that working in the higher rep ranges after 3x3 would help with that? I do really like that idea as well though, working higher reps and slowly going down in reps would really shock the system and for sure make me stronger.

I really appreciate your advice, I would have never thought of those ideas and I really don't like any of the popular intermediate strength programs so I actually really needed it.

You will most definitely need to be able to rep weights out. For instance I am training for a strongman comp in which an event is a 455 deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, which for me will be 20+ reps. Strongman as I've come to understand it is about being the best strength athlete: the one who overall moves heavy weights the fastest over the longeat distance the most times. The suggested program I've given you will take years to fully play out and is what I wish I had started with when I was younger. For the high rep work just find your 15 rep max and each day you train those higher reps add 5 to 10 lbs to the bar and see how many you can manage. This will eventually get you back into the lower rep ranges. Just remember to include the alternating 5x5 work or after your third 1rm test the 5x5 and speed work, which I would suggest either 8 sets of 2-3 reps or 4 sets of 6 both with 30-70 percent of your 1rm. 531 is nice but after starting strength you will be around where 531 would take you right now anyway, and you will need to vary your training more.

• Like 1