The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

I like that setup for the belt squats, I would have never thought of that!

Works good. A guy pushes back more like a back squat rather than straight up. I don't have a high enough ceiling to stand on something down there too.

Yes, very cool!

• Like 1

Yes, very cool!

Also a lot less monkeying around with blocks and such and needing even less weight to effectively hit the wheels.

January 23, 2015

Before Supper

Getting sicker. Lack in energy and my throat is really raw. Kept today to the basics as well.

On another note I think I'd best drop 30-40# starting in March.

Seated DB Press

25e x 3 x 15r

40e x 8

65e x 3

80e x 3 x 7r

Think I'm going to just do some seated cleans as an exercise for a bit as well.

Spoto Press

135 x 5

225 x 3

250 x 3 x 8r

One Handed Landmine Row Gripped on the Knurling

75 x 5 x 10r

• Like 1

January 27, 2015

Before Supper

Sick as hell but I start crawling outta my skin if I don't get a workout in and I already passed my deadlift day.

Feel really good about hitting my reps feeling like this today. When I'm all fresh these'd be easier yet.

Touch and go's on the last couple of sets but not sloppy. Getting a lot better at locking out with my triceps as well.

Just hit the basics and out to recover.

Bench Press

45 x 3 x 15r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 3

275 x 1

295 x 1

315 x 4 x 2r

Giant Set

Ring Row BW x 3 x 25r

CG Bench Press 135 x 3 x 25r

Rear Ring Flies BW x 3 x 10r

• Like 2

I've been belt squatting like that for months now except I put the other end of the bar against the wall and put 2-60 pound dbs on it to secure it. Worked up to 200x10 last workout so the strength will come fast on them. I recommend you do them every leg workout as they have really increased my leg size and strength tremendously.

• Like 1

I've been belt squatting like that for months now except I put the other end of the bar against the wall and put 2-60 pound dbs on it to secure it. Worked up to 200x10 last workout so the strength will come fast on them. I recommend you do them every leg workout as they have really increased my leg size and strength tremendously.

Thanks for looking in Rick! That's the plan. I think if I use them to hammer some volume in after my heavier worksets with the bar they'll be great. Another big benefit I think a guy gets from it is it rotates the hips/pelvis back in and is helping with my overall alignment.

They are also great for wide stance squats to really bring the hips up. If you aren't good at pulling sumo, this is a great way to do it effectively and not worry about using your back.

• Like 1

They are also great for wide stance squats to really bring the hips up. If you aren't good at pulling sumo, this is a great way to do it effectively and not worry about using your back.

Sumo feels good for me but I'm definitely stronger conventional stance.

January 29, 2015

Before Supper

Hip belt squats make for a tough hike out of the basement!

Still sick. Filled half a trash can full of boogers before I was done.

Also it's interesting so far I'm not doing anything with wraps that I don't do in my TK sleeves yet. Hopefully I get some pop for the pain.

Squat

45 x 5 x 3r

135 x 2 x 3r

225 x 2

315 x 2

365 x 1

405 x 1

Add wraps

445 x 1

465 x 2, 2, 3

Hip Belt Squat w/Landmine

75 x 10

100 x 4 x 10r

45' Back Raise

BW x 3 x 12r

Up for a little form tweak?

Move your feet a little bit further forward so you are leaning back into the rigging. This feels weird at first but you aren't going to fall. Now when you squat down try to keep your torso as straight as possible, don't lean forward at all. This will really dump the weight onto the legs 100% and allow you to get good depth. I have found that bending over like you do out of the hole makes the lift a lot easier and takes the pressure off the legs. If I stay straight as an arrow I can get stuck coming out of the hole once I get fatigued. It blows the legs up even more.

• Like 1

Violently ill or not, you're still putting up some good numbers. Jason-1, illness-0.

That's strange you get so little from knee wraps. Tight TKs gave me 5 or 10 ten pounds. Wraps when I used to wear them gave me 60 pounds.

Violently ill or not, you're still putting up some good numbers. Jason-1, illness-0.

That's strange you get so little from knee wraps. Tight TKs gave me 5 or 10 ten pounds. Wraps when I used to wear them gave me 60 pounds.

Thanks bud. I think it's just me getting used to them again. This is the second workout I've put them on in probably 2-3 years.

January 30, 2015

Before Supper

Little sleep, no food, and still sick. Minimal work.

Seated DB Press

25e x 3 x 15r

40e x 8

65e x 15, 14, 12

Spoto Press

135 x 5

225 x 3

255 x 8, 7 pfft

Meadows Row

100 x 5 x 10r

February 1, 2015

Early Afternoon

Still sick but on the road to recovery.

Deadlift - pointed my feet straight and narrowed my grip for a change

135 x 5 x 3r

225 x 2 x 2r

315 x 1

405 x 1

455 x 1

495 x 7 x 2r - 15 minutes exact. All full stop and starts.

Pendley Row - to sternum

225 x 3 x 8r

Leg Curl

55 x 2 x 15r

• Like 1

That's a fast seven sets! It takes me that long to tighten my belt.

That's a fast seven sets! It takes me that long to tighten my belt.

Haha! That's why I don't wear a belt! Nah, it's because belts pinch my fat deadlifting :(

February 4, 2015

Before Supper

Feel like hell with work stress and no food. Only had a cup of porridge all day. Not enough fuel. Headache.

Bench Press

45 x 3 x 15r

135 x 8

185 x 5

225 x 3

275 x 2

290 x 5 x 4r

245 x 8, 7 - long pauses

Pull-ups

BW x 15r in 7 sets

Overhead Band Pressouts

Avr x 4 x 20r - worked on keeping my hands from touching. Much harder.

Hammer Curl Dropset

55e/40e/30e x 15/15/15

Jason I remember you saying your doctor wanted you to cut some pounds what does he want you to get to or what do you want to get to?

Jason I remember you saying your doctor wanted you to cut some pounds what does he want you to get to or what do you want to get to?

He didn't say. It's been almost a year so I'll see what he has to say again fairly soon.

February 5, 2015

Before Supper

Still getting over my cold but better. Lots of work stress yet but I did manage to eat some today which helps a lot.

Today I moved forward with the hip belt squats so that the strap was straight down vs pulling back as I was before. Way easier and I don't feel it nearly the same in my quads with half the weight. Experiment tried. Just not for me.

Anyways finish the workout, have something to eat, now back to work some OT tonight.

Squat

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

Add wraps

455 x 1

475 x 3 x 2r

Hip Belt Squats

75 x 10

100 x 10

125 x 10

150 x 2 x 10r

• Like 3

Today I moved forward with the hip belt squats so that the strap was straight down vs pulling back as I was before. Way easier and I don't feel it nearly the same in my quads with half the weight. Experiment tried. Just not for me.

If you moved your feet forward and leaned back into the rigging more, how could not have been pulling back? It feels like I am going to push my toes through my shoes.

If you moved your feet forward and leaned back into the rigging more, how could not have been pulling back? It feels like I am going to push my toes through my shoes.

Dunno man. It's just how the movement feels and effects me. Maybe I'm just getting more accustomed to the movement now but last week getting up the stairs was tough after. Yesterday, no problem.

I moved up fast in it. When we started 50 lbs was tough. Now 255 for 10s wasnt bad at all. I think trying to keep your torso straight though will dump the weight more onto the glutes. Plus I go wide so I really feel it in the hips, glutes, and hams.