Deadlift Form Check

JaredWith1R

How is the deadlift training going?

It's going well, I've been doing it as part of Stronglifts 5x5. I tried to combine too much training, so I cut it all back to Stronglifts ever other day. I do axle deadlifts, I think I'm up to 140lbs now, and am still trying to decide between conventional and sumo lifts.

I watched a lot of deadlifting videos, and there is so much information that I decided to just keep going how I'm going and keep an eye on my form. Straight back, neutral spine, shins close to the bar, try not to lock out my legs before I get the weight past my knees.

I think it's been going pretty well. Maybe I'll post another form check next week, but honestly, I got equal amounts of conflicting information, so I'm not sure how progressive it will be.

Thanks for asking brother!

• 4 weeks later...

I have deadlifted a long time and took to it in a natural way. At 65 this will hopefully be the 50th straight year I have pulled 500 or more. Talking with the best deadlifters in the world both post and present a few things are always in agreement. Don't start from a dead stop with body or even bar keep a bit of tension on arms and rock ( move and continue)into start position .( bodies in motion tend to stay in motion-) laws of physics !The second your shins touch bar do not pull JUST stand up with head always in lead. Do not think of pulling ,think about holding bar and fighting at all costs to stand up. Lower legs remain almost vertical for entire lift. Stand up straight not to lean back and therefore unlock knees. Keep shoulders down not hunched up.

The best training tip is to sit on a chair and without moving torso you will then find without slight leaning forward motion you can't stand up! Same as with bar. We say "pull your pants up "and if you visualize this your deadlift will be 90% there. We first learned this sitting on a bench with a borrowed stiff pair of oversize fire mans pants. On whistle pull up pants to a standing position. We now teach now with a loop of heavy rope instead of pants . Toes fairly straight ahead , feet no wider than shoulder width and get as close to the bar as you can with lower legs vertical. That's it.............head always comes up first!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone is built differently with different leverage points which gives people different weak and strong points in the lift. Not that it matters but I to have been pulling for many years. Pulling over 630 for more than 35 years 100% natural, anyway you want to film yourself from the side and study and correct your form so the body does not move before the bar starts to move. Squeeze real tight at the start because that is where you need to be close to the bar but not too close. When you put the bar back down on the floor look where the bar ends up after a rep and that is where you want to start your pull.look how far away from your shins you are. Once you get that I have tons of great workouts you can try that will work your weak points once you find them.